Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Reading Match Thread

Just now, Fuzzar said:

Shame. Rhodes had a great chance to put the game to bed. 

In the madness this has been forgotten. Has to score that and it’s game over. Also I can’t stand to see teams that are winning playing the clock down in the corners. Carry on playing how we were and push them back with meaningful attacks and we Win that match. It happens far too often when you’re inviting the pressure on.

Bizarre feelings.From being angry that we would get nothing, to being ecstatic with three points, to being gutted with only a point. Ho hum. On to Wigwam.

• Like 1

Gutted but I think our rivals would have lost that game, they might not have thrown it away in the 96th minute but I doubt they would've have gone into the lead in the first place either. You can't win em all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm going to come in for a bit of stick for this, but I absolutely can't stand that time-wasting from Rhodes. They proved all game they held a threat on the counter, and 3 times instead of playing in the spare man to try and get the 3rd goal he takes it to the byline and we give the ball away. We had the momentum, could have kept knocking at their door but they knew we weren't coming at them, and took their opportunity. Proper annoyed.

In some ways I'm glad we only got a point and it happened that way, we did not play well until Godfrey gave us a rocket up the backside and hopefully it's showed Farke he's got to have a rethink. Without Buendia we looked short of invention, we were too static and although we had plenty of chances we lacked the aggression and cutting edge. Steipermann had a bad game, Mclean's deliveries were awful and Lewis just couldn't do anything right going forwards but was decent defensively. Waiting until 71 minutes to change things up was a total waste, changes were needed earlier.

Farke needs to have a rethink for next game, Mario and Leitner in for me, Steiperman and Cantwell out. If Pukki is fit then he starts.

• Like 2

Rhodes has to score that....yes he scores some but by god does he miss some sitters too, that ultimately will be why we perhaps shouldnt sign him.

...and yes, previously stated, surely we can do something cleverer than start with Cantwell....hope that lesson is learned for the other 2 games Buendia is suspended

My humble opinion Farke got that wrong. Without Vrancic or Buendi we lack that killer pass or speed of movement. Todd did nothing wrong but we need a more  controlling creative player on the pitch.

No harm done. Lesson learnt. OTBC

• Like 1

So frustrating - Reading got 6 minutes added for their timewasting - ref should have blown up at 90 when we were winning given that the timewasting was to disadvantage us directly, and we were not disadvantaged at 90. Sickening to see them rewarded for their ****housing. Those 2 points would have put us up against Sheff Weds with a win against Wigan. Now it looks more likely to be Stoke. Need Sheff to get less than 3 points from next 2 togive us the opportunity to be definitively promoted at home.

Edited by kick it off

I think, with justification, because its football, quite a few posters on here, and quite a few fans in general, thought tonight may have been a hiccup and so it proved. Why? because we had won 8 on the spin and were due to drop points, plus Reading at home looked on paper the easiest of the last 6 games and football so often tells us that the easiest looking game does not turn out that way.

Sheff Utd may have also  drawn to, but it was a very good point indeed, one if not the, toughest of their games left. 6 points clear at the top with 5 games left is massive and 7 points from 3rd to. But the job is far from done. Wigan are very good at home so City will be have to  be at their best to win. Stoke away and Blackburn at home may be the best games for 2 wins, nick a point or two at Wigan and against Wednesday should see us home.

Hugely frustrating end to the match. We seemed to have three or four decent opportunities to clear the ball properly, before time froze as the Reading lad took aim. But singling out Steipermann is incredibly harsh.

I don't think I've gone from shear euphoria to flat as quickly as that before. Zimms goal was almost Simeon Jackson like! Football eh...

So frustrating - Reading got 6 minutes added for their timewasting - ref should have blown up at 90 when we were winning given that the timewasting was to disadvantage us directly, and we were not disadvantaged at 90

Does seem unfair when as you say, it was added to presumably assist us. 

I hope some of the posters consider what happened tonight and don't start blaming anyone. 

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

So frustrating - Reading got 6 minutes added for their timewasting - ref should have blown up at 90 when we were winning given that the timewasting was to disadvantage us directly, and we were not disadvantaged at 90. Sickening to see them rewarded for their ****housing. Those 2 points would have put us up against Sheff Weds with a win against Wigan. Now it looks more likely to be Stoke. Need Sheff to get less than 3 points from next 2 togive us the opportunity to be definitively promoted at home.

It doesn't - and shouldn't - work like that. You have 90 minutes plus stoppage time to play to determine the better team.

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Goal scored on 96min and 30 seconds

Yeah...I think we live in the most glassiest of glass houses when it comes to complaining about goals scored after the minimum allotted added time.

• Like 2

Hernandez was the one at fault on their equaliser IMHO. Half hearted challenge and didn't chase back.

That said all the players have had great moments to more than counter tonight's lacklustre performance.

No one could replace Emi with his recent form. Even Madders would have struggled to do that.

That said, we didn't lose and Sheffield didn't win so nothing lost tonight.

Let's ensure the gap between us and the two below is at least the same if not bigger by Sunday afternoon.

Edited by duke63

8 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

It doesn't - and shouldn't - work like that. You have 90 minutes plus stoppage time to play to determine the better team.

I am aware it doesn't work like that ffs. My point is that Reading ****housed their way through the entire 90 minutes trying to hold on to their lead, they lost the lead, but the time that was accumulated to avoid us being disadvantaged by their ****housing was the time they used to nick a late equaliser and we hadn't actually been disadvantaged as we had taken the lead inside the 90. I'm not even saying it should work like that, just that it feels immensely unfair that they benefitted from their own ****house tactics and ultimately we were disadvantaged by them as it cost us the win.

We played poorly for most of the game, didn't create many chances in the first half and then should have seen the game out. It doesn't matter who did or didn't do what, a draw was exactly what we deserved. 

As for Rhodes gamesmanship, it almost ran down the clock. He did exactly what he was brought on to do.

Sadly leaving a player unmarked on the edge of your own box only ends one way

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

We played poorly for most of the game, didn't create many chances in the first half and then should have seen the game out. It doesn't matter who did or didn't do what, a draw was exactly what we deserved. 

As for Rhodes gamesmanship, it almost ran down the clock. He did exactly what he was brought on to do.

Sadly leaving a player unmarked on the edge of your own box only ends one way

What game were you watching mate? We clearly weren't at our best, but their keeper made two fantastic saves and Reading scored with their only two shots on target.

Very, very disappointing result, but a match I still felt only one team deserved to win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I am aware it doesn't work like that ffs. My point is that Reading ****housed their way through the entire 90 minutes trying to hold on to their lead, they lost the lead, but the time that was accumulated to avoid us being disadvantaged by their ****housing was the time they used to nick a late equaliser and we hadn't actually been disadvantaged as we had taken the lead inside the 90. I'm not even saying it should work like that, just that it feels immensely unfair that they benefitted from their own ****house tactics and ultimately we were disadvantaged by them as it cost us the win.

This is, to me at least, a rather unique way of looking at added time. I get what your saying and emotions are running high at the moment, but I see added time as a neutral entity not for reasons of disadvantage or advantage to one team or another. 

• Like 2

Well that was a really frustrating match. Reading had a game plan, stuck to it and a draw was probably a fair result. By the very high standards we have set ourselves this season we played poorly tonight. Even so we had chances and Rhodes probably should have buried that header late on. They had two shots all match and scored with both. Too many players were below par tonight especially Stieperman, Hernandez, Cantwell and McClean. The first two have played really well this season so to have a poor game for a change is one of those things. Todd and Kenny didn't do much I felt and maybe it's time for Mario and Moritz to start on Sunday.

We are still in pole position and have to get back on it against Wigan. What tonight does remind us is that there are no givens in the Championship and it isn't over until promotion is certain. The real positive tonight is that the scum should be relegated this weekend.

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

What game were you watching mate? We clearly weren't at our best, but their keeper made two fantastic saves and Reading scored with their only two shots on target.

Very, very disappointing result, but a match I still felt only one team deserved to win.

I get your point, but you can't really concede 2 goals at home and expect to win a game

A different way of looking at the table is, with ONLY 5 games remaining the maximum points available to the top 3 are as follows -

Current             Max

1. Norwich -    85 pts            - 100 pts

2. Leeds -        79 pts              - 94 pts

3. Sheff Utd -  78 pts              - 93 pts

There really isn't much room for error at all for Leeds and Sheff Utd if they were to both finish above us!

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

I get your point, but you can't really concede 2 goals at home and expect to win a game

Agreed, but we really should have scored a couple more and put this one to bed. Our final third play wasn't quite sharp enough. 

Got to move on to Wigan and put this right - hopefully the extra day's rest will be in our favour. And who knows, perhaps this could prove to be a vital point come the end of the season? 

I think our recent success has almost made a few of us think we were just going to continue winning forever. Football just doesn't work that way, certainly not the championship.

We were 5 points clear of Leeds Saturday morning and 6 now. Maintained our advantage on sheff utd. Theres always going to be ups and downs and there has been all season. After our defeat at Preston we were down but hadn't dropped points since then until now. I've seen nothing since then or even tonight to suggest we are not the best team in the league. Others would have lost in this situation. This is how teams of Readings position always frustrate teams like us and it's why the likes of Man city / Liverpool drop points to lower league opposition in a season - it happens. We will learn from it and move on. 5 to go.

• Like 4

A nice, considered way of summarising TC. We will beat Wigan and shade it over Sheff Wed and confirm our promotion on Easter Monday. Oh...and the title will be confirmed at home against Blackburn.

I can blame Rhodes for this last gasp 2-2

Reff watch clock 2 times was really last attack and we really need only to put ball over central line to end all.

At this huge moment Rhodes not press good and they back ball in front of our penal 😕

Kenny MoM is lol for me .Good game for him but despite we concede 2 goals both Godfrey and ZImbo was phenomenal today not only because goals but over all amazing play from this impressive players.

Feel sorry for my favourite Klose but seems this 2 if not suspended or injured is first choice for sure.

Godfrey will play really big football very soon imo.My MoM today.

We miss badly Buendia flame and is a big shame 2 more game suspension also if come straight not same form etc etc .

Cantwell not bad but not ahead Vrancic/Leitner no way .

We was a short of special players with  today starting 11.

More pressure on us probably Sunday at noon as both sheff and Leeds can win at home.

still 5 to go 7 clear is amazing position.Keep fingers to be solved sooner than later ...

Amazing joy for our 2nd goal today rock carra under flood lights...

OTBC

Edited by Boris
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Boris said:

I can blame Rhodes for this last gasp 2-2

Reff watch clock 2 times was really last attack and we really need only to put ball over central line to end all.

At this huge moment Rhodes not press good and they back ball in front of our penal 😕

Kenny MoM is lol for me .Good game for him but despite we concede 2 goals both Godfrey and ZImbo was phenomenal today not only because goals but over all amazing play from this impressive players.

Feel sorry for my favourite Klose but seems this 2 if not suspended or injured is first choice for sure.

Godfrey will play really big football very soon imo.My MoM today.

We miss badly Buendia flame and is a big shame 2 more game suspension also if come straight not same form etc etc .

Cantwell not bad but not ahead Vrancic/Leitner no way .

We was a short of special players with  today starting 11.

More pressure on us probably Sunday at noon as both sheff and Leeds can win at home.

still 5 to go 7 clear is amazing position.Keep fingers to be solved sooner than later ...

Amazing joy for our 2nd goal today rock carra under flood lights...

OTBC

Boris, as always, love your take on things. Succinct and sensible.