Sunday 5th.May (12.30.)

Mark this date. The day that the the 10, 000+ horde from Leeds descends upon little old Ipswich Town. Apparently, every hotel is fully booked for miles around the town and they are even having to book rooms in Great Yarmouth.

Having just paid my weekly visit to view the travails of TWTD (rationed because like fish and chips and Cadbury's chocolate  you can have too much of a good thing) it really does seem that the southern end of Anglia is likely to witness a certain amount of disruption, to put it mildly.

"The Night they Burned Old Ipswich Down?"

With us almost there bar the shouting, and no small amount of finger crossing (and a dozen or so mgs. of valium,) the fight for the second place automatic spot is now surely the most interesting aspect of the Chumps this season. It looks like going to the wire so much so that the Leeds game at Ipswich could be of massive significance. Leeds might well need at least a win there to avoid the play-offs.

Either way the Leeds fans are determined to turn this away day into one to be remembered. With, remarkably,  just two thousand seats allocated to them in the stands there are likely to be thousands marauding around the town and the ground on this normally peaceful Suffolk Sunday morning.

What are the authorities thinking of (the Suffolk plod that is) as common sense indicates that they are better controlled within the confines of the stadium?

Either way, either result, either outcome mayhem seems destined to ensue.

Boudicca's destruction of Colchester will have nothing on what might happen should the tractor boys thwart the Yorkshire elite's hopes in some way.

Unimaginable chaos could ensue. It might not be the weight of the forest growing on top of it that causes that stand to collapse, statues of the late and great might be seen floating along the Orwell, public houses could be ransacked and looted and the flames from what was once a quaint little settlement burning might well be seen as far away as Norwich.

Seriously, this really does look like a disaster waiting to happen. The local police force really need to get a grip. Prepare for the worst and even though the scenario I have painted is exaggerated there will be no excuses for inadequate policing, as the awful will happen as sure as the Sun coming up that morning. Re-enforcement from other areas is vital, increase the allocation, shutter the shops and pubs. It's not as if the Leeds support do not  have a reputation unequaled in it's destructive ways.

I could never feel sorry for the demise of ITFC, but I am beginning to feel for the Town it's self.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Had a look at their thread about it and someone on there was saying that Ipswich wanted to give Leeds 5,000 tickets, but a certain Paul Lambert vetoed it because he didn't want to "give Leeds an advantage in what could be a crucial match in Ipswich's bid to stay up". 

• Haha 4

5, 000? The impression I got from reading the thread was that half of South Yorkshire had decided to use this event as an excuse for an early Summer's week-end away.

I don't suppose that even the Messiah, in his second coming having resurrected himself from the virtual dead, will have much of an influence over basically what is a police matter though.

You are right to suggest that he would deem himself important enough though,and even that he still thinks they will have a chance of survival.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Apparently Leeds fans were booking their promotion party in Ip****e in their droves. Brentford too. And are now cancelling. Summed up their arrogance perfectly. If they are still in it by then, but fail on the last day, I can see it being Bournemouth in 1990 all over again.

Whatever we think of Ipswich, their fans aren't ill-behaved hooligans in the same way that Leeds are. I wouldn't take any pleasure in watching several thousand knuckle-dragging northerners smashing up Ipswich town centre and intimidating/attacking innocent local folk. It's only football, after all.

With the amount of empty seats available, they could have given Leeds 10,000 and made some money. 

As for policing, I seem to remember 1p5wich have history with their local Constabulary, over unpaid bills. 1p5wich won the case in Court,  the old bill won't forget.

FWIW, I was going to see Ozzy at the Spark Arena a few weeks ago. He canceled as he's got pneumonia. Get well soon. 

The only one of those reality shows that I have ever had time for was the Osborne's.

So many amusing moments.

Putting the cat out at night: "I'm supposed to be the 'Prince of Darkness,' just look at me now!"

(All in his famous Brummie drawl. Born within sight of the Villa ground.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

Remember when Celtic fans travelled en mass to come to the Drury testimonial? Most of them weren't actually at the game, they just showed up to run riot around the city. Pretty sure they covered most of POW Road in a huge Celtic flag.

It's a shocking sight, in all honesty, and I agree with FTW... I wouldn't want to see the moronic Leeds fans (for the most part they are idiotic, although I do know some nice Leeds fans) causing ridiculous amounts of trouble... even in Ipswich. The Leeds fans are some of the worst I've experienced coming to Carrow Road. Smashing things up and leaving a right old mess in their wake. I don't get why they feel the need to do this. I sincerely hope they drop out of the running altogether. It would make me chuckle quite heartily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Whatever we think of Ipswich, their fans aren't ill-behaved hooligans in the same way that Leeds are. I wouldn't take any pleasure in watching several thousand knuckle-dragging northerners smashing up Ipswich town centre and intimidating/attacking innocent local folk. It's only football, after all.

I have to agree with this, I don't like ITFC as a club... but I despise LUFC supporters...most of them are a bunch of ill behaved hooligans.

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Remember when Celtic fans travelled en mass to come to the Drury testimonial? Most of them weren't actually at the game, they just showed up to run riot around the city. Pretty sure they covered most of POW Road in a huge Celtic flag.

It's a shocking sight, in all honesty, and I agree with FTW... I wouldn't want to see the moronic Leeds fans (for the most part they are idiotic, although I do know some nice Leeds fans) causing ridiculous amounts of trouble... even in Ipswich. The Leeds fans are some of the worst I've experienced coming to Carrow Road. Smashing things up and leaving a right old mess in their wake. I don't get why they feel the need to do this. I sincerely hope they drop out of the running altogether. It would make me chuckle quite heartily.

Not to nitpick but I thought it was Tim Shepperds testimonial/retirement game?

• Like 1

Bearing in mind we are away to Villa, can you imagine if Leeds need a 10 goal swing to beat us on goal difference? The whole ground (and both managers ) would be willing Dirty Leeds on. Could be the first league game to see a side score double figures for about 70 years. I would predict a Chambers hat trick (in his own net) 

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Bearing in mind we are away to Villa, can you imagine if Leeds need a 10 goal swing to beat us on goal difference? The whole ground (and both managers ) would be willing Dirty Leeds on. Could be the first league game to see a side score double figures for about 70 years. I would predict a Chambers hat trick (in his own net) 

I think if we're relying on the binners for anything whatsoever then that's our fault and we have to accept the consequences.  They are so bad that we don't need to worry about them not trying, no one would notice the difference against one of the better sides.

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Apparently Leeds fans were booking their promotion party in Ip****e in their droves. Brentford too. And are now cancelling. Summed up their arrogance perfectly. If they are still in it by then, but fail on the last day, I can see it being Bournemouth in 1990 all over again.

I doubt they would be any cancellations, as these northern monkeys will still travel and congregate in binland drinking.

I suspect the reason for keeping the number of away tickets to 2000 is to try and keep the numbers as low as possible, hoping that it might deter any who have not booked to travel.

There is an interesting aside to this as the club have said than any binner found selling his ticket to an away fan will face a ban. Though given the number of empty seats at poorman road it might be rather difficult to work out who was the original seller.

My thought would be that a fair number of our rustic neighbours may well give the game a miss (as have round 12,000 already have over the past few seasons) and save wasting a bank holiday Sunday.

Of course most will be hoping that Leeds are four points below Sheff Utd by then - but heaven help them if Leeds need Sheff Utd to drop points on the day for them to finish 2nd

11 hours ago, Rivvo said:

Ah apologies, I remember Adrian coote scoring against them, maybe that was earlier.

Yeah, I believe the one you're thinking about happened in 2001