Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What are Luton doing right?

Following Jamal and Max's recognition at the EFL awards, the article states Max pipped Luton's James Justin to the Young Player award.

Luton must be doing something right, the way Crewe used to have a production line.

Is it regional? Is it the coaching staff or the recruitment? I doubt it's their facilities

They got a battering with 3 successive relegations over the last decade due to money issues and were in the conference for number of seasons. They have rebulit stonger with 2 good managers whomanaged to replace good players when they go and now the managers has gone they continue on for maybe for successive promotions.Of course I don't know the exact details.

Temp manager is in charge and likely to be promoted. Bound to be lots of championship managers around to go for them.

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1

Great to see Luton doing well this season. 

One player I am pleased to see still in their starting line up is luke Berry. He started life at Cambridge City fc academy and then stolen by CUFC. Such a talented midfielder

The OP’s point is about their academy and talent spotting surely? Good point, one I had wondered about too.

We know about Moneyball-type approaches for recruiting existing, potentially under-appreciated players, but what is it that Luton do that allows them to spot future potential of the quality of Jamal and Max? While poaching their younger players has clearly worked for us, it would be good to do it ourselves directly.

What is impressive is consistency over time. There was a period when Newcastle seemed to have the golden touch at spotting good value foreign players - didn’t they hand Graham Carr, their chief scout, an eight year contract on the basis of his recruitment? But it all fell apart. As the OP says, Crewe had a reputation for spotting impressive youngsters for many years, although recent news has overshadowed that. Have Luton replicated that ability? What’s the secret?

Did we actually poach Lewis and Aarons? I thought that they took a break from football, which implies they were released by Luton ?

Yeah I'm sure Aarons said in an interview recently that he was without a club when Norwich signed him.

7 hours ago, Tired said:

Yeah I'm sure Aarons said in an interview recently that he was without a club when Norwich signed him.

I dont doubt what you are saying Tiredo, but if true ,is incredible .

• Confused 1