Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Wilder, he's a good guy

Apart from that rant last season Wilder has been complimentary about us and Farke, it's about time we recognised he appreciates that we've got where we are on merit.

His comments last night at the EFL awards were gracious and I'd like to see him in the Premier League next season along with us.

• Like 1

Gracious? Or mind games?

I'd prefer Sheff Utd to go up over Leeds. Both sets of fans are pretty vile to be honest, but I suspect Leeds are more likely to splash the cash. Bielsa is clearly a good manager and I suspect he would take to the Premier League quite well. Wilder has the potential to be another Warnock and find himself out of his depth and I doubt Sheff Utd would open the chequebook quite as wide.

Consequentially, Sheff United are more likely to take up one of the three relegation berths than Leeds would be. That's the only reason I want them to go up, because it will probably be better for us next season.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Apart from that rant last season Wilder has been complimentary about us and Farke, it's about time we recognised he appreciates that we've got where we are on merit.

His comments last night at the EFL awards were gracious and I'd like to see him in the Premier League next season along with us.

I genuinely think he looked back on last season and realised he looked a bit silly. 

He has been much better behaved this season and has certainly been very complimentary towards Farke. 

Will also give him his dues. Sold their very talented young player (Brooks) to the premiership and still progressed this season largely off the back of low cost experienced players. Very different way to ourselves but has been very effective. 

• Like 1

I'm probably just still bitter. I also cannot see any logic in him getting manager of the year over Farke.

They spent marginally more than us in the offseason (transfermarkt predicts £6 million outlay, largely thanks to big money signing Egan, and us at just shy of £5 million). Okay, they lost Brooks but we lost James Maddison and Josh Murphy so had bigger holes to fill in the summer than they. He started the season with a team that had finished 10th and only 6 points off the playoffs, Farke started the season with a team that had finished 9 points further back in 14th and a whole 15 points off the playoffs.

So, on what basis has anyone come to the conclusion that Wilder, whose team currently sit 7 points behind Farke's, has done a better job? I know they've spent a bit more, but you could argue that even Bielsa has done a better job this term than Wilder.

• Like 5

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I'm probably just still bitter. I also cannot see any logic in him getting manager of the year over Farke.

They spent marginally more than us in the offseason (transfermarkt predicts £6 million outlay, largely thanks to big money signing Egan, and us at just shy of £5 million). Okay, they lost Brooks but we lost James Maddison and Josh Murphy so had bigger holes to fill in the summer than they. He started the season with a team that had finished 10th and only 6 points off the playoffs, Farke started the season with a team that had finished 9 points further back in 14th and a whole 15 points off the playoffs.

So, on what basis has anyone come to the conclusion that Wilder, whose team currently sit 7 points behind Farke's, has done a better job? I know they've spent a bit more, but you could argue that even Bielsa has done a better job this term than Wilder.

Totally agree with this, ludicrous that he wins it ahead of Farke. Most wins, fewest defeats, best GD, top goalscorers… as well as playing what most neutral observers would surely agree is a much more aesthetically pleasing style of football. Absolutely batshít crazy that Farke doesn't win the award.

It could be an “optics” thing (I don’t know why I use that phrase, I hate it!). We have the player and young player of the season already, if they gave us manager too, you might as well award everything to the top club every year.

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It could be an “optics” thing (I don’t know why I use that phrase, I hate it!). We have the player and young player of the season already, if they gave us manager too, you might as well award everything to the top club every year.

But giving it to another club because they don’t want the top club to win everything just makes a mockery of it all.

In terms of over achievement, Farke has clearly outdone Wilder. Sold our best players, integrated new, very cheap (especially Pukki) players, dealt with any setbacks (losses, injuries) and come back stronger, highest scorers, most wins, and all after a transitional average previous season that laid the foundations but by no means indicated the success to come.

Though the fact these awards are taking place with 6 games to go just shows how much credence anyone should give them.

Whatever it is it's bloody stupid.

And I actually think it's rare that a team deserve all three so I see no issue with it happening when it's on merit. It's made even more farcical when they actually gave the award to the coach that won the league, despite the fact that had Wolves not won the league it would have been an appalling reflection on the coach given the war chest he was allowed. In fact, Wilder probably had a bigger shout last season, guiding a newly promoted team to 10th; however, the real manager of the season last year was Neil Harris for doing a similar thing with Millwall. 6th in League One to 8th in the Championship 12 months later and only three points of the playoffs was a phenomenal achievement that makes a mockery of Nuno Espirito Santo's award. That's an even bigger mockery of the award than Wilder's this year.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Gracious? Or mind games?

I'd prefer Sheff Utd to go up over Leeds. Both sets of fans are pretty vile to be honest, but I suspect Leeds are more likely to splash the cash. Bielsa is clearly a good manager and I suspect he would take to the Premier League quite well. Wilder has the potential to be another Warnock and find himself out of his depth and I doubt Sheff Utd would open the chequebook quite as wide.

Consequentially, Sheff United are more likely to take up one of the three relegation berths than Leeds would be. That's the only reason I want them to go up, because it will probably be better for us next season.

Mind games ?

Not sure how that works - it's as if Farke is going to be put off by silly comments.

As to Sheff Utd going up, then yes. Anything but Leeds going up.

And having Bristol City joining us would certainly put the kibosh on a number of clubs whose fans think they have more right to be there than 'lesser' clubs - as in those of WBA, Leeds, Villa, Derby, Boro

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

George Davis Is Innocent.

(Younger viewers may need to Google that.)

Was it you who dug up the pitch at Headingley Drazen??? 

Don't care about the MOTS award that got away

I think Farke is effectively going to win "Excellent English Football League Championship Champions of the Year Coach Type Gaffer" :classic_love: which is so much more meaningful an achievement.

Ahlbight pleased for Teemu and Max and their gongs.

I can see why Wilders won it- he's taken Sheffield United from League One to the verge of the Premier League. I think it suggests the voters believe we've got better players than Sheffield United.

I agree with the "optics" thing. Farke has done an amazing job, but arguably underperformed last season with what looked like a decent squad. Wilder has done very well, Sheff Utd have stuck with it and winning at Leeds at a key point was massive- they have stayed in the hunt and may now be slight favourites to go up with us (if we do 😀). Alex Neil has been pretty good at Preston also Lee Johnson and weirdly I also think Darren Moore was doing OK at West Brom to keep things together after relegation- we know very well how hard that it. But my outstanding candidate has to be Paul Lambert. How he has managed to keep Ipswich firmly at the bottom, with no new manager bounce and no hope for so long below a poor Bolton side not even being paid properly has been truly remarkable and takes a special kind of talent. PL is the messiah for two reasons now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've mentioned on here a few times Wilder drinks in the same pub as I do in Sheffield, and any conversation we've had after the initial p#ss taking (carrot crunching type of thing) he's been complimentary about us, in fact his questions have sometimes been a bit too fact finding for comfort.  The latter shows his passion for the game, he's never off duty as such, but still a lively guy to share a pint with.  He also wants us to go up ahead of Dirty as well, as all fans in Sheffield do, despite what you may have read.

Unfortunately my son has succumbed to peer pressure from his mates and has decided to hang his hat with the Blades (despite dragging him to many a Norwich away game and the play-off final), so for family harmony it has to be Blades for runner up position.  One of the perils being based in another city!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Was it you who dug up the pitch at Headingley Drazen??? 

Nah, I wouldn't be seen dead in Leeds! 🤭

My money was on Tony Greig.

Edited by Drazen Muzinic
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I've mentioned on here a few times Wilder drinks in the same pub as I do in Sheffield, and any conversation we've had after the initial p#ss taking (carrot crunching type of thing) he's been complimentary about us, in fact his questions have sometimes been a bit too fact finding for comfort.  The latter shows his passion for the game, he's never off duty as such, but still a lively guy to share a pint with.  He also wants us to go up ahead of Dirty as well, as all fans in Sheffield do, despite what you may have read.

Unfortunately my son has succumbed to peer pressure from his mates and has decided to hang his hat with the Blades (despite dragging him to many a Norwich away game and the play-off final), so for family harmony it has to be Blades for runner up position.  One of the perils being based in another city!

He can be a bit of a **** but I reckon he wouldn't get half the stick he does if he was 10 years younger. I think there is a gut reaction to 'gruff, northern, overweight manager' that immediately thinks he must be dinosaur when he's actually very good.

Good manager but his whining after we beat them was outrageous. He literally blamed our bus turning up late for their defeat. Sorry, I respect what he's done, and appreciate he appears to have learned some humility, but I still think he's a c0ck

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Good manager but his whining after we beat them was outrageous. He literally blamed our bus turning up late for their defeat. Sorry, I respect what he's done, and appreciate he appears to have learned some humility, but I still think he's a c0c

Boro blamed their defeat in playoff final to us their own transport being late!! So one of them has to be wrong. Unless you're right when you're beaten by Norwich......which makes an awful lot of managers right I suppose😁.

12 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Good manager but his whining after we beat them was outrageous. He literally blamed our bus turning up late for their defeat. Sorry, I respect what he's done, and appreciate he appears to have learned some humility, but I still think he's a c0ck

That was also the game when we kept his side waiting at the restart by not emerging from the dressing room until after the officials were on the field. That was nothing to do with the bus being late, and since it happened again a couple of times after that it did begin to look like a deliberate tactic on DF's part. I remember that several posters on here were uncomfortable with us doing it. That, together with deliberate time wasting which we began to indulge in soon after taking the lead, featured more prominently in Wilder's post-match rant than anything to do with the bus. Indeed I took his reference to the bus being late as a caustic comment emphasising his criticism of our half-time tactic and general time wasting. I think he genuinely felt we had engaged in underhand tactics outside the spirit of the game as he, a British coach and player, understood it. 

17 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

I think he genuinely felt we had engaged in underhand tactics outside the spirit of the game as he, a British coach and player, understood it.

I genuinely think that it was about time we used these tactics and don't give a second thought for any team we do it to do with good effect.

No, the bus comment was very explicitly about our bus getting stuck in traffic and it had been "disrespectful" that we hadn't left the hotel early enough to avoid traffic.

Don't dispute we timewasted, but his whining and crying about it was pathetic.

Edited by kick it off

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

No, the bus comment was very explicitly about our bus getting stuck in traffic and it had been "disrespectful" that we hadn't left the hotel early enough to avoid traffic.

Yep, that was the start of our 'special relationship' with Beaker.

image.png.7f861f0a55ebe7d92f5e772c7e5d676e.png

Wilder won manager of the year with Northampton in L2 in 2016, and then with Sheffield United in L1 in 2017, so he's clearly got a fan base. More likely to be well received when you're taking a side that was recently in L1 into the Premiership, than one than was in the Premiership three years ago, irrespective of the circumstances.

I don’t mind Wilder at all. Passionate man running the club he supports, lucky guy! Yes, we had the trouble with the Bramall Lane scuffles, but I understand their fans getting annoyed about the ‘professional tactics’ that were employed that day - let’s face it, if it happened to us and we lost at Carrow Rd, we’d all be pissed off about it too, and that’s a fact.

It’s not a preference for me between Sheff Utd and Leeds at all, its an easy choice - 95% of Leeds fans come across as the most scummy arrogant bunch (with a small minority of decent fans thrown in as well). Despite what they may think, they are owed NOTHING. They live constantly on excuses for their own teams shortcomings, and can’t accept that many other teams have had far more success than them in recent years. For me, Sheff Utd have a far better team and totally deserve autos - Wilders done a good job, a bit of a pantomime villain at times, but I reckon he’s probably a very decent bloke just looking out for his club in the same manner you or I would should we have the once in a lifetime opportunity of becoming manager of our own beloved club.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 11:08, TCCANARY said:

It's all mind games with him. Geezers a clown

On 08/04/2019 at 22:08, TCCANARY said:

I think he appreciates that they're not going to catch us and to be anything less than complimentary would make him look like a c0ck.

I think his comments were fair. We were late to the ground and late on the pitch. It would s rude inconsiderate and unprofessional. If you are late apologise and set  off earlier next time. 

• Like 1