Commando Canary

Starting eleven for the first game of the season 2019/2020?

Assuming we get promoted, what would be your starting eleven for the opening fixture of the 2019/2020 season?

I think you would be hard pushed not to start with our starting eleven yesterday. Yes we will need investment, and a new keeper is arguably the one change I would consider.

A lot of lessons can be learnt from Fulham this season!

As much as I love Stiepermann, I suspect that we can find better in his position if we're in the PL.  I'd give ol' Tom a run to start the season at DM, and would prob prefer Leitner in for Mclean at deep lying playmaker positions - we'll have the ball less, so we need to keep it as much as possible.

I'd expect 4 or 5 new faces in at least, and a similar number out the door.  I'd actually consider keeping Rhodes if he was affordable enough, also.

First we'd need to add some more pace. Whether that is cover for / upgrade on one or more of Pukki, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Zimmermann. Then we need to add cover for GK and probably RB. I can see Klose staying but not Hanley, Srbeny but not Rhodes, Thompson but not Tettey.

Tettey's got another year left on his contract. I'd be amazed if he wasn't here for cover, given that he's got Premier experience. Thompson I'd be less sure about. Depending on his contract situation, I think he needs to be playing so would've thought a loan till at least Christmas would be in the offing.

I could see another striker coming in, another goalkeeper perhaps, RB, and a pacy winger. Think Klose will sign a new contract if we stay up, not sure what will happen to Hanley. 

Why should a fair proportion of our squad not already be considered of Premier League quality?

The PL is not just the top six and although some of the lesser clubs now seem to possess their fair amount of costly players with exotic foreign names are they really that different from or superior to most of our squad?

OK. Spend a bit on another striker and another 'keeper,but start them on the bench.

But, say I, give the present squad their head at PL level until they prove otherwise.

Farke should stick to his policy of never changing a winning team into our expected PL season.

Don't do a "Malky" on any of them. They deserve a chance.

No doubt Farke-Webber will have starlets lined up but of more consideration is just who should be retained.

We all love Dennis but he'll never be PL quality and he's done enough at Carrow Road to earn a decent move. Hanley was needed at the time. He seems redundant now. Rhodes would be a useful super sub on occasions I feel, but at what cost? Tetters deserves a decent move as I cannot see him surviving for long in the upper environment.

The rest are already out on loan, or something.

• Like 2

-------------Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis

---------Leitner Trybull

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

-----------Pukki

Easy decision. As our recruitment has been so good and the team has such great cohesion and understanding i don't think we can afford any player who's any better than what we have. It would cost 10 million plus to replace any of our regular players, we also have great depth with little quality difference between starters and reserves. What we need is different options but to stick with roughly the same team.

So one striker who's big, fast and good with his head, one winger with a good set piece and long shot to give us tactical flexibility and help us grind out some games. Also maybe young GK who wouldn't expect to start every game in his first season but is good enough to keep Krul on his toes. Aside from that I'd then look for future stars like Maddison and Buendia. Most won't come off, but all we need to do is find one of them for the approach to be worth it. 

• Like 3

I'll leave it to Webber and Farke.

They've done well enough without any help from me😀

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Don't do a "Malky" on any of them. They deserve a chance

This. 

But I have a suspicion that Webber and Farke will be doing things somewhat differently. 

I’ve got a funny feeling that Klose will join in with the celebrations, say thanks for the memories and leave on a high.

Do what should be done in any pre-season.

Identify the weakest positions, bring in some new players and then play the best possible option in each position. 

Existing players shouldn’t be given a by due to previous achievements. New players in to push everyone to the next level.  

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Why should a fair proportion of our squad not already be considered of Premier League quality?

The PL is not just the top six and although some of the lesser clubs now seem to possess their fair amount of costly players with exotic foreign names are they really that different from or superior to most of our squad?

OK. Spend a bit on another striker and another 'keeper,but start them on the bench.

But, say I, give the present squad their head at PL level until they prove otherwise.

Farke should stick to his policy of never changing a winning team into our expected PL season.

Don't do a "Malky" on any of them. They deserve a chance.

No doubt Farke-Webber will have starlets lined up but of more consideration is just who should be retained.

We all love Dennis but he'll never be PL quality and he's done enough at Carrow Road to earn a decent move. Hanley was needed at the time. He seems redundant now. Rhodes would be a useful super sub on occasions I feel, but at what cost? Tetters deserves a decent move as I cannot see him surviving for long in the upper environment.

The rest are already out on loan, or something.

Spot on Broady, but I would hang on to Tettey for his final season with us. He may not be able to play every game, but I think his invaluable PL experience coupled with what he brings to the dressing room would be worth retaining. He was, and probably a surprise to himself too in his twilight years, really bloody good earlier this season!

I just couldn't even hazard a guess at what our XI will look like. As Bethnal says, we'll get some sentiment-free upgrades and pick our best players in each position. If they spot players with potential, they'll be more likely to snare them when we're in the Prem - bear in mind that Kante and Mahrez came to England for peanuts, and no one had ever heard of them when they joined. With our scouting network and growing reputation for playing outstanding football with well-adjusted and intelligent players, it shouldn't be too hard to bring in advanced versions of the players that have done so well for us in the Championship.

There have been so many things that have surprised me in the last 18 months, I'm ready for a bunch more surprises. Of the players currently in our squad, I think most of them will be able to make the step up, even if only as squad players. The thing I'm most sure of is that by Christmas, there will be at least three or four players in our team who I've currently never heard of.

All we can do is enjoy the ride 🙂