BroadstairsR

NCFC, the ultimate yo-yo club.

I'd like to see us continue taking the cups seriously when we get promoted and from now on. We need to make the most of the momentum and quality we have at the moment, it won't last forever, in 10 years we won't look back on 5 years in the PL with much fondness, i mean how comforting was the fact we had 4 seasons up there recently when we were struggling in this league a bit? To me now it just feels like a wasted opportunity. But a league or FA cup would be amazing. 

In terms of the league we should aim to be comfortable in the PL for a decade but not necessarily expect it.  In the top league you're just one or two bad transfers away from being in serious trouble. Every other club up there that's a regular at that level seems to have their house in order currently as well. it's not like in 2011 when we had clubs like Bolton/Blackburn/Sunderland/Wigan/Fulham etc clinging on for dear life, with no identity, trapped on the manager merry go round with bloated, expensive but ineffective squads.. Even the teams always near the bottom like Burnley and Palace have very effective, fast, physical lethal counter attacking teams that are a nightmare to play against and will punish any mistake.

It's gonna be really tough next season and any other season we're up there. Staying up will always be a remarkable achievement at least on par with what we're doing this year. We shouldn't forget that when times get tough.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd like to see us continue taking the cups seriously when we get promoted and from now on. We need to make the most of the momentum and quality we have at the moment, it won't last forever, in 10 years we won't look back on 5 years in the PL with much fondness, i mean how comforting was the fact we had 4 seasons up there recently when we were struggling in this league a bit? To me now it just feels like a wasted opportunity. But a league or FA cup would be amazing. 

Agree. Over the years my mindset has changed. Previously I'd always thought I'd rather stay up than win the League Cup but as time has gone on I've done a 180 on that sort of thing.

There's nothing worse than a decade of stagnation and I've experienced that twice.

I've accepted that we are a yo-yo and decided that it's on the whole pretty enjoyable.😀

• Like 1

I dispute the characterisation of McNally as a reckless gambler. He took us from league one to three continuous seasons in the premier league, overseeing the clubs rescue from the previous financial disaster. There were plenty of accusations of 'no ambition' from the level of spending during his tenure as well. 

• Like 1

Surely it has to be for each supporter what they get out of their club. And for NCFC supporters, boredom cannot be considered. 

We are indeed a yo-yo club between the first and second tiers and it is to me far preferable to being a mid table Championship side. And the way I feel at the moment, the style of football we play is much more of a consideration than who we play it against.

For many supporters, it wouldn't matter that we would regularly lose in the Prem because they would be seeing the best at Carrow Road. I don't have a problem with that but I don't want to see my team lose regularly just because they playing the best.

Prior to the 1970's, we looked to be a club hanging on. Since then apart from those sterile years in the mid to late 90's, we have had exciting seasons in the main. 

There is hope on the horizon for those of us who would like to see the Prem more competitive for clubs like us. UEFA is proposing that the Champions League in 2024 changes to four leagues  of eight rather than 8 of 4. The increase in games and revenue thus edging the top clubs nearer to a European Super League (will there be a referendum?) and the top clubs avoiding the Prem. Evidently the Premier League are against it at the moment but do you believe that?

• Like 1

We will always be a yo yo club as we don’t have the finances. We normally go up and are just happy to be there. We need proper investment as Delia financially doesn’t cut it. 

I think the PL know that by removing the top six or so their TV rights will be worth far less.

Other than the fans involved are subscribers flocking to watch Burnley at home to Brighton ? How much of foreign sales are determined by the inclusion of games involving the top six ?

If they left the PL, then that loss of income for the remaining PL clubs would be adjusted to. The Championship shi has been excellent this season with attendances at the top equalling some of the PL clubs.

Lose the top six and see the current Championship top six replace them. It would be a far more competitive and balanced league where most could have a real chance of winning the title, as it was pre PL days. The gap between the top six and the rest was not as it is now back in 80's and before.

Time to readjust and bring back a more level playing field.

I've been saying this for 15 years,  the top six will leave, set up a full time European Super League and take Sky with them. 

The Premiership will be won by Everton or Leicester and no one will care. The 'plastics' will all bu€€er off and support Man U or Real Madrid and we can enjoy competitive football again.