Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Wolves vs Us

Interestingly just saw that we've now scored the same amount of goals as Wolves did last season, but we still have 6 to go.

We've also only conceded 9 more, which is better than I expected to.

Considering Wolves were kind of seen as the best team ever to play in the Championship, I dont think we're doing a bad job!

OTBC

Yeh, but we may not score another goal, and concede a hatfull. Let's wait until we score 1 more goal before we come out with this sort of eulogizing please.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Yeh, but we may not score another goal, and concede a hatfull. Let's wait until we score 1 more goal before we come out with this sort of eulogizing please.

😁 Now, now, crabby, don't be like that.

Our success and Wolves’s can’t be remotely compared. They bought promotion whilst we’ve budgeted for a mid table finish. What we have achieved, and with the brand of football we’ve played, it far outstrips anything Wolves did in this league. Hopefully like them, we will take it on to the next level

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JF said:

Our success and Wolves’s can’t be remotely compared. They bought promotion whilst we’ve budgeted for a mid table finish. What we have achieved, and with the brand of football we’ve played, it far outstrips anything Wolves did in this league. Hopefully like them, we will take it on to the next level

I agree with this, but they didn't actually spend a huge amount outright while they were in the Championship. They had one big marquee signing in Neves (£16m I think?), and then rest were loans of players they then bought permanently when the Prem money came in. Smart strategy IMO, but obviously much less sustainable than our way of doing things.

37 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I agree with this, but they didn't actually spend a huge amount outright while they were in the Championship. They had one big marquee signing in Neves (£16m I think?), and then rest were loans of players they then bought permanently when the Prem money came in. Smart strategy IMO, but obviously much less sustainable than our way of doing things.

I've read that the cost of Neves + the wages of the loans cost them 60 mill. That's over a million a week, if they hadn't been promoted they might have disappeared without trace. 

• Like 1

Yeah I mean my post has nothing to do with Wolves sustainability. 

It was purely comparing the quality produced in this league by the two teams. Considering the millions they spent we arent a massive distance away from where they were.

Our way is obviously more sustainable, I was just commenting that the calculated gamble Wolves took was much less dangerous than the Villa strategy of burning £50m+ on the likes of McCormack, Hogan, Kodjia et al and the accumulated contracts they signed.

I can't recall a team dominating this division without spending a great deal of money since the Reading team that went up in the mid-noughties.

Ian Holloway on Quest EFL now says we are on a par with Wolves' performance last year.  The world awakes ...  

• Like 1

.... well duh, we are within a couple of points of them and have opened up a huge gap on the top six - just as Wolves did. The team that really dominated the Championship the year they went up were Reading - 106 points! 

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 08.20.12.png

Edited by Surfer