sophist

noun
soph·ist | \ ˈsä-fist  \

Definition of sophist

1someone who argues for the sake of arguing rather than with the purpose of arriving at truth
2: a captious or fallacious reasoner. e.g. Lake District Canary who will make a point and stick to it despite overwhelming detraction for it and actually dig himself an even deeper bloody hole trying to support his case. see also Big Vince, pete

Synoym - farage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

sophist

noun
soph·ist | \ ˈsä-fist  \

Definition of sophist

1someone who argues for the sake of arguing rather than with the purpose of arriving at truth
2: a captious or fallacious reasoner. e.g. Lake District Canary who will make a point and stick to it despite overwhelming detraction for it and actually dig himself an even deeper bloody hole trying to support his case. see also Big Vince, pete

Synoym - farage

LDC is a bit of a narcissist - he always has to be right, even when he’s wrong, and would never back down to not lose face.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Essjayess said:

One stat that has been completed today...City are now  mathematically gauranteed to finish in the top 6. That makes this season a resounding success already, although of course, much much more is seemingly our way in the next few weeks.

guaranteed to finish in top 4

Considering the remaining of Fixtures of both Sheff Utd and Leeds, I can see Sheff Utd winning 5 and Leeds 4. 

Therefore I think we need 2 wins to secure promotion, and 3 more to win the league. 

I’m more than confident Farke will see this through. But do remain uncomfortable with some of the ‘job done’ attitudes. Sheff Utd and Leeds are going to push each other to the line which will generate a high points haul. 

I don't see people saying that it as 'job done' just very confident that the team are mentally set to continue this amazing run (since September) and not lose as many games in the next month , as they have over the previous 7. 

Both Leeds and Sheff Utd have come up with unforeseen results recently, yet certain people are confident that both of them will win their remaining (seemingly harder) fixtures, yet us, who are on the crest of a wave , with 8 straight wins, and not looking like we were going to wobble in any of them, might crumble to 3 or 4 losses in the next 6 games.

• Like 1

Sheff Utd and Leeds are going to push each other to the line which will generate a high points haul. 

Or, like yesterday, and  last week, one of  them may not be able to deal with the pushing.......

This feeling of optimism based on proven and sustained success on the pitch is relatively unusual for us at NCFC, so let’s enjoy it while we have the chance.  But, I’m sure I’m not the only one who still goes into games hoping for the best but still half-expecting the worst.  LDC is right that we shouldn’t count our metaphors until they’re hatched.  After all, do we really think we’ll win all of our remaining six matches?  It’d be tremendous if we did, and, having already won 8 in a row, it would set a record for the club, but in truth we probably won’t.  

However, it’s clear that it would take quite a drop in form for us not to go up now, but I agree that we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves.  Quiet confidence is one thing, but claiming that it’s all over bar the shouting is a bit premature.

2 minutes ago, Jonncfc said:

This feeling of optimism based on proven and sustained success on the pitch is relatively unusual for us at NCFC, so let’s enjoy it while we have the chance.  But, I’m sure I’m not the only one who still goes into games hoping for the best but still half-expecting the worst.  LDC is right that we shouldn’t count our metaphors until they’re hatched.  After all, do we really think we’ll win all of our remaining six matches?  It’d be tremendous if we did, and, having already won 8 in a row, it would set a record for the club, but in truth we probably won’t.  

However, it’s clear that it would take quite a drop in form for us not to go up now, but I agree that we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves.  Quiet confidence is one thing, but claiming that it’s all over bar the shouting is a bit premature.

Exactly this. I don't understand how Lakey doesn't get it!

There is an old football adage, that points in the bag are better than games in hand. We have that.

We have the best form and momentum in the League, and at just the right time.

Have people actually said they expect us to win all 6 remaining games? I haven't heard that.

There may be a bum result to come for us, for a variety of circumstances (see Preston) but I have never been so confident that, if it indeed happened, we have the mental strength to bounce back immediately (see Preston) 

46 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If I gave you a pound LDC, and told you to place a bet on Norwich today, what bet would you choose?

I always bet on us to win. Always. 

Look guys, it's not sophism, narcissism, or any other 'ism.  If you want to call it an 'ism, call it nowism. The principle of accepting how things are now and not living in the future.  So it is the same whether we are behind in points as last season or ahead in points like this season. You simply accept how things are as it stands. 

Last season we were within reach of the play offs until quite late in the season, yet people wrote us off. This season people wrote us off after six games, but look where we are now! So what was the point in writing us off at all, if a few weeks later we are top of the league?

We look as if we will win promotion comfortably - the media might put forward the idea that it is done and dusted, but it isn't yet. That isn't negativity, it's reality. Yes, Farke said we can dream and of course we all do dream - but hey, let's wait before we start celebrating something that hasn"t happened yet. 

Enjoy the process, not the prize....until we get it. 

So, accepting the principles of now LDC, do you think that, currently Leeds and Sheff Utd are in a stronger position than us? Are they on level terms with us, or are we stronger at the mo?

What do you say, to those that sit around you, when we score a goal? Do you talk pragmatically, and say there is plenty of time for the opposition to score against us, or do you jump up and celebrate?

Edited by Crabbycanary3

14 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So, accepting the principles of now LDC, do you think that, currently Leeds and Sheff Utd are in a stronger position than us? Are they on level terms with us, or are we stronger at the mo?

What do you say, to those that sit around you, when we score a goal? Do you talk pragmatically, and say there is plenty of time for the opposition to score against us, or do you jump up and celebrate?

Of course we are in a stronger position. Of course I celebrate every goal and every win. I accept we are in a fantastic position and am loving it and agree there is every likelihood we will get promoted. But I am not going to celebrate promotion until it happens and there a few people around the forum who seem to want to - and I don't wish to see that view become prevalent, until such time that promotion is beyond doubt.

So, when we were 3-0 up when Buendia was sent off yesterday at 70 minutes,, did you feel we were good enough to win the game comfortably, or did you fear the worst?

People are just saying that we are in a  brilliant position with only 6 games to go. Everything is going our way, not through luck or divine intervention. Any bump in the road that you perceive/predict will be dealt with. They have confidence in what is in front of their eyes, that we will continue to do something even remotely similar to what has  occurred over the last 7 months, to achieve promotion, and that there are NO signs that anything will change that in the next month.

Based on all the factors, 98% of us feel we are going up, and not that we are celebrating promotion already. You carry on not celebrating. If you don't want to watch people enjoying the moment (because that is what this is, not your interpretation of already guaranteed promotion), I think the best thing to do now is scroll past.

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But I am not going to celebrate promotion until it happens and there a few people around the forum who seem to want to - and I don't wish to see that view become prevalent, until such time that promotion is beyond doubt.

No one is celebrating promotion, just people discussing 'what if' You've moved the goalposts to support your argument,  we're enjoying the ride. 

41 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So, when we were 3-0 up when Buendia was sent off yesterday at 70 minutes,, did you feel we were good enough to win the game comfortably, or did you fear the worst?

QPR were plainly not going to be good enough to cause us any real problems, but the sending off was something we could have done without.

36 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Based on all the factors, 98% of us feel we are going up, and not that we are celebrating promotion already. You carry on not celebrating. If you don't want to watch people enjoying the moment (because that is what this is, not your interpretation of already guaranteed promotion), I think the best thing to do now is scroll past.

Yep and I feel we're going up too, so I'm with the majority -  but there are people on here - making plans and kick it off to name two - from who the way they talk is that of "we are up already".  That is complacent and that is what I am talking about.  Most other people who are piping up are just jumping on to some kind of bandwagon that says I am saying not to celebrate, which is far from the case. 

Celebrate the good times, not the times that haven't happened yet is all I am saying to those who think it is done and dusted. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Celebrate the good times, not the times that haven't happened yet is all I am saying to those who think it is done and dusted. 

Again, no one thinks it's done and dusted. 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

He talks pragmatically to his dog on the sofa next to him.

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I don't see people saying that it as 'job done' just very confident that the team are mentally set to continue this amazing run (since September) and not lose as many games in the next month , as they have over the previous 7. 

Both Leeds and Sheff Utd have come up with unforeseen results recently, yet certain people are confident that both of them will win their remaining (seemingly harder) fixtures, yet us, who are on the crest of a wave , with 8 straight wins, and not looking like we were going to wobble in any of them, might crumble to 3 or 4 losses in the next 6 games.

No one is saying that Norwich might crumble. What I see is a few people recognising that more points are still needed to achieve promotion. Doesn’t mean they’re not confident.

I think Sheffield United and Leeds are both capable of winning 4/5 of the last 6. They’ve shown stretches of form similar over the season and therefore certainly not unreasonable. In which case we still need to win at least 2 games, but probably 3 to be sure. 

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

There is very little that gets LDC off more than telling people they are doing supporting wrong.

I don't get off on it, but if I have to spread a few home truths to people I think are misguided then so be it. I don't come on here to be popular, I come on here to give my opinions.  

For the record I think most people have a good asttitude to the promotion campaign, but despite what splendish rush says, there have been signs of complacency on here from a few people. If I see it again I will continue to comment on it, as is my right.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't get off on it, but if I have to spread a few home truths to people I think are misguided then so be it. I don't come on here to be popular, I come on here to give my opinions.  

For the record I think most people have a good asttitude to the promotion campaign, but despite what splendish rush says, there have been signs of complacency on here from a few people. If I see it again I will continue to comment on it, as is my right.

Do you not realise how pompous you sound? 'Home truths?' 'Signs of complacency?'

I am always worried before a match and then super confident after we win it. Then I find myself worried again when the next match comes along.

The closer we get to the prize the more worried I become.

When we win it I will claim to have been confident all along😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

107453.png.566dfab82ec3a381cb4ebd0f6e20ec40.png

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I always bet on us to win. Always. 

Look guys, it's not sophism, narcissism, or any other 'ism.  If you want to call it an 'ism, call it nowism. The principle of accepting how things are now and not living in the future.  So it is the same whether we are behind in points as last season or ahead in points like this season. You simply accept how things are as it stands. 

Last season we were within reach of the play offs until quite late in the season, yet people wrote us off. This season people wrote us off after six games, but look where we are now! So what was the point in writing us off at all, if a few weeks later we are top of the league?

We look as if we will win promotion comfortably - the media might put forward the idea that it is done and dusted, but it isn't yet. That isn't negativity, it's reality. Yes, Farke said we can dream and of course we all do dream - but hey, let's wait before we start celebrating something that hasn"t happened yet. 

Enjoy the process, not the prize....until we get it. 

The one "ism" that you fail to mention is realism. Last season, you were shouting that the playoffs were on, because your "nowism" suggested that there were enough points on the board. The realists took stock of the situation, the number of points on the board, the probabilities of us winning them, and the probabilities of those above us dropping them, and came to the conclusion you were nuts. The realists were right on that one.

Same thing in reverse this season. We're top of the league with a 2 game cushion over both the teams below us, superior goal difference to both, 6 games left to play, of which 4 are immensely winnable and 2 trickier ties (although we already beat Villa at home remember). The realists amongst us take stock of that, and the fact we've won 8 games straight, and the fact we've lost 3 games since the end of August and draw their conclusion. You prefer to ignore all of that because there are still points to be won to ensure it happens.

Nobody is saying we are up, but on the balance of probabilities, realism says that we are very likely to be promoted within a fortnight.

• Like 1