BaltimoreBird

Who replaces Buendia?

Not as self explanatory as to say a direct replacement for Buendia. That is much clearer than some vague slightly to the right🙃

34 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Not as self explanatory as to say a direct replacement for Buendia. That is much clearer than some vague slightly to the right🙃

Oh lord....you really need the dots joining up?....its folk like you that give us Norwich fans a bad name 

All the clues are there.....we're discussing the merits of Cantwell vs Vrancic....and guess what area of the pitch that is??

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Indeed they are....but "even slightly to the right" Vrancic would help us more...than Cantwell.

Buendia isnt an out and out right winger by any means, it might be his starting position but will cut in, I believe Vrancic could as easily adopt that position as Cantwell and the discrepancy in quality in Buendia's absence wouldn't be quite as great.

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I think I'd go for Grando's selection before yours. But if we did move McLean forward I would prefer that to be in Stiepermann's position. 

None of it is ideal...its about minimising the impact that buendias absence has to the overall quality of the team....and I think there are one or two things that could be done rather than Cantwell until Emi comes back

Perhaps what it does highlight is that cover/competition for wide areas is a prioriy area in the summer for next season....if its in the premier league, Hull's Jarrod Bowen would be nice?

I think that Todd has been cover for Emi and Onel pretty much all season.

McLean is a puzzle to me. He was maybe one for the central spot. But his injury and then the totally unexpected emergence of Stiepermann closed that door. 

I still think I'd stick with Todd on Sunday although he took a bit of a battering when we played Wigan here. Wigan will be a very different proposition to Reading.

McLean's done well enough in the deeper role...and until tonight 8 wins in a row justifys it but I cant help feel an unease seeing the likes of Leitner and Vrancic sitting on the bench.

Like yourself I believe he could be at his most effective higher up the pitch and obviously has an eye for goal, whilst being unburdened by the midfield battleground.

Could he play wide right , cutting in on his favoured left foot?....or on the left with hernandez switching right?.....I however certainly wouldnt mess with Steipetmanns position..the link between him and Pukki is vital

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the team selection. Despite Reading's tactic of playing with nine in defence, 3 out of 4 of the scoring chances we had in the game were created in the first 70 minutes, with Cantwell on the field. All that was lacking was the finishing. Our chance creation in the last twenty minutes simply followed the pattern of the vast majority of our games, and had more to do with exerting rising pressure on a tiring Reading defence; Rhodes contributed more to that than Vrancic. And while Vrancic's arrival had little or nothing to do with the two goals we scored, it arguably had everything to do with Reading's late equaliser. When, for heaven's sake, are we going to learn how to defend properly, rather than leaving attacking midfielders to run unchallenged and take free pots at goal from just outside our box? 

• Like 2

I do agree about allowing opposition players to shoot from the edge of the box. Its mainly an issue at set pieces but last night it obviously happened in open play as well. We had loads of defenders back but all in our own six yard box, blocking Kruls view and leaving acres of space for their midfielder to run into and shoot unchallenged. Having men behind the ball does not always equal effective defending and if we do get promoted we will need to address this because premier league players will regularly hit the target from the edge of the box whereas in the championship we often get away with it.

• Like 1

When we've been put under sustained pressure this season (eg. at Leeds) we've defended very well. Where we've had issues is when the ball is turned over, or after a restart, where we have to switch very quickly from attacking to defending. I don't know if this is an inevitable consequence how we play and how much we dominate games, but I expect in the premier league we'll spend more time on the back foot so the problems we face will be different.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I do agree about allowing opposition players to shoot from the edge of the box. Its mainly an issue at set pieces but last night it obviously happened in open play as well. We had loads of defenders back but all in our own six yard box, blocking Kruls view and leaving acres of space for their midfielder to run into and shoot unchallenged. Having men behind the ball does not always equal effective defending and if we do get promoted we will need to address this because premier league players will regularly hit the target from the edge of the box whereas in the championship we often get away with it.

I dislike the tactic of bringing Klose on late in the game, supposedly to further shore up the defence. I realise that this tactic will almost certainly have been practiced and coached, but I can't help feeling that inserting a third CB into a 4 man back line is likely to create  uncertainty rather than greater solidity. If we are to do it (bring Klose on), I would prefer to see Godfrey come out of the back four to shore up the (by then tiring) midfield. Even better would be to bring on a defensive midfielder rather than a CB, though with our current bench that option is somewhat restricted. 

Edited by westcoastcanary