BaltimoreBird

Who replaces Buendia?

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

No complacency by Daniel though. "Words don't help us at all" ....I love his analysis of situations and summaries like this.

And certainly none of the bravado of several posters on here along the lines of "we coped perfectly well with losing this or that supposedly key player earlier in the season and we'll cope with losing Emi too". Buendia has become every bit as central to our play as Maddison was throughout last season. I doubt if Ricky got much sleep last night after watching Leeds steamroller Preston :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Nobody, nobody can replace him apparently lol Thought Cantwell had a pretty decent game, won the ball back high up the pitch a few times and a few decent passes. But yeah, no Emi...

Vrancic has to come in.

Cantwell will be a good player - but some more experience in the midfield will be welcome as we try and push ourselves over the line.

Playing Cantwell ahead of Vrancic tonight was a huge error in my view and must not be repeated again. Indeed the lack of minutes Vrancic and Leitner have had of late has been questionable although masked by the run of results. 

We improved markedly when Vrancic came on and McLean moved to the left. Cantwell did little wrong but played very much safety first football and we lacked the incision that Vrancic brings.

• Like 2

I think tonight we saw that Vrancic should of started. We lacked the creative speed of thought killer pass of Buendi or Vrancic. Todd did Ok but didn't influence the game.

What happened to 'in Farke we trust'? Lots of people with 20/20 hindsight accusing him of making an error in picking Cantwell on the back of eight straight victories. We had 75% possession tonight, and 25 shots on goal. Lack of creativity wasn't the problem.

• Like 2

Fortunately just two of our squad are absolutely key to the way we play, the rest of the squad are interchangeable.

Pukki and Buendia.

We will be unable to play at optimum level if one, or god forbid both, are unavailable.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

What happened to 'in Farke we trust'? Lots of people with 20/20 hindsight accusing him of making an error in picking Cantwell on the back of eight straight victories. We had 75% possession tonight, and 25 shots on goal. Lack of creativity wasn't the problem.

Todd was asked to play almost like-for-like although Onel played a roaming role more than usual. I would suggest if Farke didn't get it right tactically, it was because the strong Hernandez/Lewis combination was missing.

Just realised that last sentence sounds like an episode of the Big Bang Theory!

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not hindsight. Most people wanted Vrancic or Leitner ahead of the game and for lost people the reason they wanted Vrancic was his ability to play killer passes. Farke is not infallible and in my opinion he got it wrong tonight although we did still have enough chances to win the game comfortably.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Most people wanted Mo, not Mario, in actual fact.

Thought posters started off with Mo on here (the forum) and then changed to Mario once the comparative stats were posted. But the main Pinkun poll had Mo.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not hindsight. Most people wanted Vrancic or Leitner ahead of the game and for lost people the reason they wanted Vrancic was his ability to play killer passes. Farke is not infallible and in my opinion he got it wrong tonight although we did still have enough chances to win the game comfortably.

But we'll never know what happened if Vrancic had started. I predicted he'd start with Cantwell, and I also said before the match that my preference would've been for Vrancic for the reasons you underlined. But whatever Farke's reasons were for picking Cantwell, I trust his judgement completely... and I'm not going to play the hindsight game. We've won eight on the bounce with this tactical setup for goodness sake!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Thought posters started off with Mo on here (the forum) and then changed to Mario once the comparative stats were posted. But the main Pinkun poll had Mo.

Most people also wanted to leave the EU but once the stats were made clear, several changed their minds...

Have I posted this on the correct thread..?🤭

• Haha 1

Mo or Mario would’ve been my call, in that order, and I still wish it had been - I just think their better passing against a defensive set up would’ve been a better choice.  But it is what it is, DF makes the decisions and doesn’t often get them wrong - we’ll never know if it was right or wrong in this case!

9 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Todd was asked to play almost like-for-like although Onel played a roaming role more than usual. I would suggest if Farke didn't get it right tactically, it was because the strong Hernandez/Lewis combination was missing.

Just realised that last sentence sounds like an episode of the Big Bang Theory!

There is no direct replacement for Emi, but technically speaking Todd is probably the closest to it. Vrancic and Leitner both excel central and deeper, and Farke (quite rightly) didn't want to disturb a midfield axis that had garnered eight wins on the bounce. McLean has been quietly effective and gets through a ton of work, while Trybull has been like Tettey on steroids. Good spot on Hernandez/Lewis though, agree with that.

• Like 2

i trust Farke in terms of his ability to do the right hung long term and see points that need addressing but that does not mean everything he does can not be commented on and to be honest I think the recent banishing to the bench of our two best midfielders does deserve to be questioned somewhat. Let’s be honest despite results, performances have been less fluent in recent weeks without them in the side as well.

i accept that results have justified the means by snd large but I find it pretty staggering after their form earlier in the season that given the opportunity of Buendia’s suspension he did not put one of Leitner or Vrancic back in.

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Smith said:

i trust Farke in terms of his ability to do the right hung long term and see points that need addressing but that does not mean everything he does can not be commented on and to be honest I think the recent banishing to the bench of our two best midfielders does deserve to be questioned somewhat. Let’s be honest despite results, performances have been less fluent in recent weeks without them in the side as well.

i accept that results have justified the means by snd large but I find it pretty staggering after their form earlier in the season that given the opportunity of Buendia’s suspension he did not put one of Leitner or Vrancic back in.

I think what we can all agree on is that the system is working brilliantly. I'm as surprised as anyone to see neither Vrancic nor Leitner in the team, but it's working. I wouldn't say we've been less fluent in these eight consecutive wins - in fact, it's quite remarkable that you can take that level of creativity out of the team and the system still flourishes. Farke said something about using four different base formations tonight, so the whole squad is clearly well-drilled on tactics and positioning... and we still made more than enough chances to win the game comfortably tonight.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

20/20 hinsight?!?.....scroll back through this thread and see how many thought Cantwell should have started?

I thought Cantwell, despite his long absence, fitted in quite well. Tidy, but obviously not a driving force in Buendia style. It was just one of those games and some credit due to Reading who defended well. You cannot attach any blame on Cantwell re the loss of a couple of points. Indeed Steipermann looked tired and had a poor game and many of our corners left much to be desired. As we all know it is difficult to break down an eleven man defence although our attacks appeared to be a bit more ponderous and predictable than usual. I remain confident we will finish up as Champions and three points at Wigan will steady the ship.

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

20/20 hinsight?!?.....scroll back through this thread and see how many thought Cantwell should have started?

So because we only created 25 chances, and only had 75% possession, and because Cantwell can't do the stuff Buendia does, that means Farke was wrong? He's shown time and again that he doesn't tinker with formations any more than he needs to when they're yielding results. The central axis of McLean and Trybull is working just fine, and Leitner/Vrancic play better from deeper. Todd did pretty well tonight considering he's barely played in the last couple of months.

Don’t think there is a right or wrong - it was probably a close call.  Bringing Todd in allowed everyone else to stay in position, but it’s not what most of us would’ve done. C’est la vie and all that.

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

So because we only created 25 chances, and only had 75% possession, and because Cantwell can't do the stuff Buendia does, that means Farke was wrong? He's shown time and again that he doesn't tinker with formations any more than he needs to when they're yielding results. The central axis of McLean and Trybull is working just fine, and Leitner/Vrancic play better from deeper. Todd did pretty well tonight considering he's barely played in the last couple of months.

Cantwell didnt really help us tonight to the point where virtually nothing was coming down the right, until hernandez switched across there.

Not blaming Cantwell, but I think we could have been cleverer with our team selection with minimising the drop in quality through Buendia's absense.

Hope the lesson is learnt for the other 2 games he's suspended for

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Arguably very slightly less fluent in attack, but a lot more solid defensively. The team that won us the last eight before Reading hit the sweet spot for balance for my tastes. 

Mind you, Reading were superb tonight in my opinion. Their goalkeeper was outstanding tonight and they fully deserved the point for doing a Norwich on us at the end there. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

What is it with you and our youngsters GeeJay? You were exactly the same about Ben Godfrey saying Hanley should be in over and over. Now I know I'm ultra supportive of our youngsters but not to the point you are against them.

Cantwell isn't in Emi's class but who is? The front four all struggled today but you really have to give Reading some credit for that. Even so we had chances to win and Cantwell didn't miss those. And their keeper was their MOM and probably overall MOM.

I can't believe you think Vrancic or Leitner could be a straight replacement for Buendia in the system we play so how many changes did you propose making? 

Anyway. On to Wigan. Should we stick with Todd or put Vrancic there or make changes to the system?

Oh and would Hanley have scored that equaliser?🙃

Just now, nutty nigel said:

What is it with you and our youngsters GeeJay? You were exactly the same about Ben Godfrey saying Hanley should be in over and over. Now I know I'm ultra supportive of our youngsters but not to the point you are against them.

Cantwell isn't in Emi's class but who is? The front four all struggled today but you really have to give Reading some credit for that. Even so we had chances to win and Cantwell didn't miss those. And their keeper was their MOM and probably overall MOM.

I can't believe you think Vrancic or Leitner could be a straight replacement for Buendia in the system we play so how many changes did you propose making? 

Anyway. On to Wigan. Should we stick with Todd or put Vrancic there or make changes to the system?

Oh and would Hanley have scored that equaliser?🙃

You seem to be the one for some reason equating this with age....and yes, even if he was playing slightly to the right, Vrancic would help us more ...

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You seem to be the one for some reason equating this with age....and yes, even if he was playing slightly to the right, Vrancic would help us more ...

I was simply making the point that the last time you criticised team selection to this point it was because Godfrey played when you wanted Hanley. You even suggested you knew more about football than me to back up that opinion.

Vrancic playing slightly to the right of where? Would you have him as a direct replacement for Todd or play a different system?

Sundays team will be interesting as it's not on the back of a win. But if that means Leitner or Vrancic in it may not necessarily be Todd who makes way.