BaltimoreBird

Who replaces Buendia?

The team has been on such a great run that I think the fewer changes the better. Much as I like Vrancic and Leitner I reckon keep everything as is and stick Todd in there. The rest have such a nice fluid way of playing right now that we should be able to maintain it despite Buendia's absence. If Trybull is injured then stick in Vrancic in instead (I think we may benefit from his ability to unlock a defence with a smart pass), otherwise stay as is.

Aside from goals, obviously he's our single top goal feeder according to absolute stats - 11 assists. As flawed/limited as assists are as a measure in a dynamic team game, did a quick & dirty 'league table' of minutes played per assist.

Obviously totally unadjusted for influential factors like the main periods of the season (team form, goal rate) when these players were involved, etc. Names of Buendi and a few possible replacements shown in bold.

Srbeny - 133
McLean - 213
Buendia - 237
Vrancic - 247
Pukki - 365
Hernandez - 373
Aarons - 520
Stieps - 557
Cantwell - 726
Godfrey - 925
Rhodes - 982
Lewis - 1,068
Zimbo -  1,478
Leitner - 1,583
Klose - 2,033

So, bring on Dennis!  Seriously though, may be another argument in the mix to invite Vrancic back in - in this aspect of the game.

Edited by GenerationA47
Emboldened players

Here's the (similarly qualified) rankings for minutes per goal:-

Pukki - 126
Srbeny - 133
Rhodes - 164
Vrancic - 176
McLean - 284
Buendia - 324
Hernandez - 373
Stieps - 398
Klose - 508
Hanley - 572
Godfrey - 616
Leitner - 792
Cantwell - 1,452
Aarons - 1,563
Trybull - 1,634
Tettey - 2,325
Zimmermann - 2,956

Vrancic stats good here too versus his 'competition'.

Goes without saying there is much more to any given team player/role, than simple goal and assist rates.

Interesting stuff Generation A47. Just increases my hope that Farke plumps for Vrancic as a like for like replacement. i don;t really see why people think that will cause any more harm to our fluidity as a team than Cantwell will, Vrancic has played that advanced role at times earlier in the season and its not like Buendia is an orthodox wide man who stays out wide. 

• Like 2

I think Vrancic up there instead of Buendia might work instead of Cantwell, but some have suggested pushing McLean into that position with MV or ML coming in to sit alongside Trybull. I am not sure about that, I'd prefer keeping as much as is as possible.

I agree Tumbleweed. Mario is both a creator and goal scorer. 

I like Todd but at this crucial stage of the season we need to give ourselves the best possible chance and those stats firmly point to Mario.

• Like 1

Whoever comes in has to emulate what Emi does in terms of work rate, feistiness and snapping at people's heels - and Todd was brilliant at that in his spell in the first team.  Vrancic can do it as well and is maybe more potent in front of goal, but I agree Todd looks most likely.  

My personal preference.

Capture.PNG.9fa2174551711848fc922649840af973.PNG

I think McLean prefers a more attacking position anyway so should be comfortable playing AML. Hernandez is clearly comfortable playing both wings and is a more natural replacement for Buendia. Vrancic then slots into his natural position with Trybull.

Edited by Ginja
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

This reminds me of how everyone was making a case for Hanley instead of Godfrey.

Really hope it's Todd.

Godfrey was fairly unknown when he came in so I can understand why people were suggesting Hanley.

Todd is a bit more of known entity now, has filled in for Buendia on occasion but one of the few who lost his place because we had better coming back, all depends on whether Farke values a simpler change or better players IMO.

Based on that I suspect Todd will start but I hope Vrancic does. Farke has shown he knows his player better than any of us, I respect his choice and I hope Todd proves me wrong.

• Like 1

I may be wrong in this but I thought Todd lost his place through injury.

Edited by nutty nigel

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I think your correct.

I'm honestly not sure anyone has lost their place on form since September.

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I thought he lost his place when Stiepermann and Buendia both came back from injury, he's always made the bench since suggests he's wasn't injured?

Capture.PNG.838fd965b228adf08aeb380b069c1d08.PNG 

Edited by Ginja

I think Cantwell had a bit of a knock or was ill or something which gave Farke the excuse to change it. He had been struggling a bit for a couple of games before he went out of the team. Hopefully if he does play Wednesday then he will have been revitalised by his recent spell on the bench and full of running.

I'd personally opt for Vrancic or Leitner. Think both are too good not to have more direct involvement. I'd switch McClean wide too if that accommodated either of them better. But, what do I really know! 

It may be Cantwell as a like-for-like. I just don't personally think he offers as much creativity as Mario, or the calmness of Mo. All three, though, are good replacements to have. (And if one is tried and the system doesn't quite work then there's this thing call substitutions...)

Like I said I could be wrong. I doubt Farke has to look for an excuse to change his team though.

Since we played the three behind Pukki has anyone except Hernandez, Buendia or Cantwell played the wide role? I see it as a totally different position to anything I've seen Leitner and Vrancic play. Maybe McLean can? Having never seen him there it's difficult to judge.

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think Cantwell had a bit of a knock or was ill or something which gave Farke the excuse to change it. He had been struggling a bit for a couple of games before he went out of the team. Hopefully if he does play Wednesday then he will have been revitalised by his recent spell on the bench and full of running.

He had an ankle knock going to Preston but had already been on the bench for Leeds and Ipswich, I think due to a drop in form but was that down to fitness? possibly it was a busy xmas period for the young lad.

Todd is Decent, but not on the same level as Vrancic or Leitner. I’m confident I’ve seen enough to suggest Todd’s level is championship at best, whereas Leitner and Vrancic will not look out of place in the Premier League. 

My feeling is that Todd will have a similar career to Chris Martin, and that Norwich will probably outgrow him. Possibly Webber feels the same, considering the contract situation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Todd is Decent, but not on the same level as Vrancic or Leitner. I’m confident I’ve seen enough to suggest Todd’s level is championship at best, whereas Leitner and Vrancic will not look out of place in the Premier League. 

My feeling is that Todd will have a similar career to Chris Martin, and that Norwich will probably outgrow him. Possibly Webber feels the same, considering the contract situation. 

I think that's harsh. He's a typical creative player, good and anonymous in equal measures. I don't think he's as good as Emi (who is?), but to state Championship at best is a tad harsh and hard to judge based upon what I've seen.

Still, I'd play Vrancic or Leitner.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I think that's harsh. He's a typical creative player, good and anonymous in equal measures. I don't think he's as good as Emi (who is?), but to state Championship at best is a tad harsh and hard to judge based upon what I've seen.

Still, I'd play Vrancic or Leitner.

My suggestion that Todd will have a similar career to Chris Martin is actually a nod to his ability. Championship ‘at best’ is still a very successful and lucrative career.

I don’t think Cantwell is comparable to Emi. He’s really not had that much first team playing time & lost his place due to injury.  From what I saw then, I think he had as much natural ability as most of our breakthrough players this season.

people would do well to remember that at the start of his career Harry Kane looked like he’d never make it at top level when he played for us! To judge a player’s career potential after a small number of championship starts is just silly.

• Like 2

Personally I think Farke gave Todd a run out against QPR as the game was well won and didn't want to risk Mario or Maurice. It was a good opportunity for Todd who then did nothing wrong. However against Reading I think one Mario or Maurice will start to add creativity and an eye for a pass. Farke knows best though...

Personally I feel it would be very harsh to move McLean from where he's been playing to suddenly be under direct competition with Buendia in three games time. Like others I would look to minimise the disruption as much as possible and therefore it would be a straight swap of Cantwell or Vrancic. Neither are out and out wide players but either would do a good job. Mario has the edge for me. Some of his performances before he got injured were outstanding, up to Buendia's level and that is quite something. 

On 07/04/2019 at 14:46, Fiery Zac said:

Did you watch any of the first half of the season? Tettey was pivotal to performances and results. He was also a leader on the pitch getting us through some tough games to begin the run that took us to the top of the league.

Of course I think Alex is a great player and was excellent when he played, but now I look at the starting 11 and those on the bench and just don't see him getting back in the starting line up. 

Didn't Cantwell have several man of the match performances earlier in the season?  He has had a break from the team now and must be well placed to make an impact again, if selected.   Might be frustrating for other players, but he looks the most likely to play imo, especially having been trusted with some minutes the other day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Good summary by DF -

I would judge from that that DF is more concerned about losing Emi for three matches than he is letting on. I'd say he thinks it's made what should have been a comfortable progression to the title a lot, lot harder and less certain.

I felt the same listening to his press conference and there is a degree of injustice he feels. Possibly it's disappointment though that a key player also misses 50% of the run in where he knows we are looking odds-on for promotion. I thought too it feels likely a direct swap for Emi (Todd or Mario) instead of more of a 'system' change. He mentioned this in another interview. No complacency by Daniel though. "Words don't help us at all" ....I love his analysis of situations and summaries like this.