BaltimoreBird

Who replaces Buendia?

35 minutes ago, Atlantic Canary said:

cantwell only came on yesterday to counter the speed of the 3rd qpr sub 

I wouldn't say Cantwell is particularly fast, so I don't get that logic. I think he was brought on as a sign of what would happen against Reading.

Personally, I'd pick Vrancic (on the wing) or Leitner (next to Trybull and McClean pushing forward), but I expect Cantwell to play.

18 hours ago, 7rew said:

Since Trybull took a knock at the end, move Kenny out there and bring Leitner and Tettey back into the middle for Tuesday.

Unless Tom is fine, then move Kenny out there and bring Vrancic in with Trybull.  

With less tackling in the 3, we should also shore up the 2 with an established pairing. 

I do not agree bringing Alex back. Sorry to say but I feel he is surplus to requirements these days. I would prefer Mario, Todd or Maurice 

Maybe Todd was brought on as Farke didn't want to risk a potential replacement for Emi, so my money is on Vrancic. We need someone to make those killer passes through to Pukki and Onel. Vrancic is the man. 

Had this been midway through the season then yes Todd may have got the nod, but at the business end we need a win, any sort of a win, so play our most attacking line up. I like Cantwell but the finished article is still missing for me.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Leitner alongside Trybull, then McLean further forward.

I'd go for this. McLean has the energy the play our wider role and we don't need a traditional winger out there. However I can understand if he goes for Cantwell so us to not upset the central balance.

Might even put Stiepermann wider and McLean behind Pukki. There are plenty of options. 

Its our full backs who provide most of the width anyway. 

• Like 1

I still think it will be Todd. I've never known Farke to use anything but the direct replacement. I certainly don't think he will move others around or change the system to facilitate fitting in someone else.

• Like 2

Think it will be Todd, but I like others would like to see Mclean pushed on and Leitner/Vrancic given the Mclean role. 

Get M.Leitner into the starting line-up asap, whatever changes to the positional/structural set up of the team on the day are needed.

Our run of putting out an unchanged side, after a spell when almost everybody got injured at the drop of a hat, has come to an end under unfortunate circumstances.

Let's take the opportunity to see this talent in a full game once again.

However, it goes against the historical grain of any City supporter to see such talents as Leitner, Vrancic, Rhodes and Klose sitting it out week after week even though there is a perfectly sensible reason why this situation has evolved. It's a luxury, which almost seems a waste, for a club which has frequently been stretched for adequate resources.

Even Cantwell, Tettey and Hanley have done little wrong to boot.

As much as Buendia will be missed we have an exceptionally strong squad and this season it seems we have always had somebody to step up when needed ... Vrancic, Rhodes and Cantwell in particular.

Whoever is the replacement will do his bit, I'm fully sure of that.

4 hours ago, Harry53 said:

I do not agree bringing Alex back. Sorry to say but I feel he is surplus to requirements these days. I would prefer Mario, Todd or Maurice 

Did you watch any of the first half of the season? Tettey was pivotal to performances and results. He was also a leader on the pitch getting us through some tough games to begin the run that took us to the top of the league.

• Like 1

Tettey dragged the ream to it's present level in a way. He led by example and played above expectations in as much as he was certainly back to his peak of younger days.

It came as a blow when he got injured.I feared the worst.

BUT as I've said above others stepped up and now a fit AT finds himself sidelined, ditto Klose.

Strong squad. 

The key to the season has been the squad. EVERY setback we’ve faced, an injury to a key player or a loss has seen us come back stronger.

I dreaded games without Leitner in the starting 11 but he is rightly being kept out of the team. I then couldn’t see how Vrancic wouldn’t come straight back in the team but McLean has won and justified his place. Same goes for Klose and Tettey. Other than Pukki, the spine of the team that got us to the top of the league have missed games through injury yet we’ve not missed them and are they’re now having to wait to get back in,

Yet again, ‘big compliments’ to Farke, for having any of the squad all ready to slot into the side when needed and, if anything, improve the play but also to have the balls to keep them in the team. Wonderful man management that we’re reaping the rewards of.

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He came on as a sub in both those games. So Norwich haven’t won a league game he hasn’t played in this season. Which is what the stat says.

I think it is more a testament to his fitness that he has played pretty much every game after he first game into the team, rather than being Norwich can’t win without him.

But it is pretty clear from just watching Norwich that he is key to the way the team plays and he creates a huge amount. He is probably Norwich’s best player and will be a big miss for the next three games. The team should have enough against Reading and Wigan at least to cover for his absence. 

Norwich beat Wigan 29th Sept. 2018 1-0.
Buendia was subbed off when it was still 0-0. The winner came from an 86th penalty taken by Vrancic, 11 minutes after Buendia was off.
Norwich also beat QPR away, with the winning goal coming *after* Buendia had been subbed off.

Norwich HAVE won (at least) 2 games with Norwich the goals coming from when Buendia wasn't on the pitch.

Correlation doesn't not means causation.

The Buendia stat (though true) is a nonsense and doesn’t deserve the attention it’s got. He played in the defeats against stoke and preston. It’s been mentioned we were level in the games when he came on as sub but don’t mention he wasn’t on the pitch when we scored winners against reading, qpr, Wigan, Bolton (though we were leading when he went off) and blackburn. We were 3-0 down when he went off vs Forest. He also wasn’t in the pitch for the equaliser against WBA.

Buendia has been superb, particularly in the last few months but to suggest we’ll struggle to win without him does a massive disservice to the rest of the squad and Farke. Those early, ground out wins that set up the season were largely without Buendia, and certainly when he wasn’t as influential as now.

Again, this is not an attempt to bash Emi as I think he’s the only other potential winner of POTS along with Pukki but we are less of a one man team than we’ve ever ever been.

He will be a miss, but Farke and the boys, as with the rest of the season, will find a way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I still think it will be Todd. I've never known Farke to use anything but the direct replacement. I certainly don't think he will move others around or change the system to facilitate fitting in someone else.

It certainly is a winning formula at the moment. Minimising the change if it's forced upon you seems pretty logical. 

Could this be the first sighting of Heise? When he signed Farke talked about how he could play left wing? There are no other conventional wingers in the squad - Cantwell is a 10 who played out wide do to lack of options. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Could this be the first sighting of Heise? When he signed Farke talked about how he could play left wing? There are no other conventional wingers in the squad - Cantwell is a 10 who played out wide do to lack of options. 

I'd argue Buendia isn't a conventional winger nor does he play like one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd argue Buendia isn't a conventional winger nor does he play like one.

Very true. The only real ‘winger’ in the squad is Hernandez. Buendia was a 10 last season I believe and he certainly drifts into central spaces a lot. 

I agree that the most logical answer is to minimise the change. Its therefore Cantwell for me as he is the most mobile of the three in question and plays across the pitch in Buendia style. In the unlikely event that we struggle then use the alternatives available. As to the sending off I have noticed on a few occasions if he has been badly fouled he tends to seek " a bit of revenge". Understandable for a young player, particularly as once again he received little protection from the ref.

• Like 2

Well the three match ban has been confirmed. No surprise there.

Perhaps bizarrely I also think Todd should come in, despite not being quite at the same level as Mo or Mario because, as has been said, he's a more direct replacement in the team's structure. He's a completely different player to Emi but, just as you'd replace Pukki with Rhodes, it's who's beat for the position that matters. It also involves less shuffling around of players which potentially disrupts overall rhythm & balance.

But let's face it, whatever decision Daniel comes to will be the best one. In Farke we trust!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Well the three match ban has been confirmed. No surprise there.

Perhaps bizarrely I also think Todd should come in, despite not being quite at the same level as Mo or Mario because, as has been said, he's a more direct replacement in the team's structure. He's a completely different player to Emi but, just as you'd replace Pukki with Rhodes, it's who's beat for the position that matters. It also involves less shuffling around of players which potentially disrupts overall rhythm & balance.

But let's face it, whatever decision Daniel comes to will be the best one. In Farke we trust!

Come to the same conclusion myself. Would be happy with any of Vrancic, Leitner or Todd but I feel Todd provides the least disruption to a clearly working system. McLean has done so well recently in a deeper role as 1 half of McTrybull and I would worry we might lack a cutting edge if we have 3 deeper lying CMs playing with only Hernandez the bit of flair and trickery left.

We need to keep the intensity and go for the jugular from the off tonight against what has been a very shaky defence in Reading. Cantwell had his beat game for us in a similar situation vs Rotherham and it would be good to see us keep going for it. Plenty of options on the bench if we need as well.

It will be interesting to see how DF handles this.

My feeling is to bring on Leitner and put McLean in the Buendia role.

Basically Emi has licence to roam, with Max being so good down the right we don't need a traditional winger, just look at the first goal from Saturday.  So McLean can just take on a similar attacking role.  Then Leitner goes alongside Trybull at the back.

I would be confident that will give us plenty of attacking threat against Reading without causing any wider issues around the team.

I agree 100% that Buendia has been a standout player for us this season, but I am confident we can overcome his absence.

I can also see arguments for Vrancic coming in... Also I rate Cantwell very highly but it's quite a while since he had serious game time, whereas Vrancic and Leitner both had outstanding spells before they were injured.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, K Lo said:

Norwich beat Wigan 29th Sept. 2018 1-0.
Buendia was subbed off when it was still 0-0. The winner came from an 86th penalty taken by Vrancic, 11 minutes after Buendia was off.

Is that the only penalty we've converted this season?!

I'm so glad we did, that was my boy's first ever trip to Carrow Road. He was five then, now 6, and he was moaning about being bored and saying he wished he'd stayed at home. I couldn't blame him, it was a dire match. But then we got that goal and he was loving it. 

Had we missed the penalty and it finished 0-0 I doubt he'd have wanted to go again. As it was, he went away loving it and when a ticket came up again he jumped at the chance. And as luck would have it, the next time a ticket became available was Millwall!

• Like 1

Farke will obviously do what he thinks best but i really, really hope that this is the opportunity to get Vrancic or Leitner back in the side. They are quality players and as much as I like Cantwell i would love to see one of them come back in. For me, the most obvious change is a straight swap of Vrancic for Emi as I think he gives us what we will be missing with Emi out which is goal threat and the ability to provide assists. Leitner is also a class option but it would involve moving Mclean just at the point he seems to have settled in to that position and how we play as a team.

Cantwell has done very well this season and I am sure won;t let us down if he plays but his form dipped a bit before he got injured and for me Vrancic gives us more in terms of end product.

On 07/04/2019 at 10:34, Capt. Pants said:

Maybe Todd was brought on as Farke didn't want to risk a potential replacement for Emi, so my money is on Vrancic. We need someone to make those killer passes through to Pukki and Onel. Vrancic is the man. 

Had this been midway through the season then yes Todd may have got the nod, but at the business end we need a win, any sort of a win, so play our most attacking line up. I like Cantwell but the finished article is still missing for me.

I think that for me is the key. If you look at what Buendia has been giving to the team in recent weeks its goals and assists. That is what we will miss with him suspended. The only other midfielder who has come close to the sort of stats that Buendia has been producing in terms of goals and assists is Vrancic during his spell pre-injury when he was creating and scoring most of our goals and indeed arguably out performing Buendia. For me that is why he is the most obvious like for like replacement for Buendia who does not play like a typical wide man anyway. Cantwell may be the most obvious replacement for Hernandez but Buendia is a different type of player who often plays a more narrow role and interchanges with Stiepermann. Again for me tailor made for Vrancic. I also would love Mo back in the side but that would necessitate a greater degree of disruption so I don;t see it happening unless Trybull is not able to shake off that knock. 

20 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

The Buendia stat (though true) is a nonsense and doesn’t deserve the attention it’s got. He played in the defeats against stoke and preston. It’s been mentioned we were level in the games when he came on as sub but don’t mention he wasn’t on the pitch when we scored winners against reading, qpr, Wigan, Bolton (though we were leading when he went off) and blackburn. We were 3-0 down when he went off vs Forest. He also wasn’t in the pitch for the equaliser against WBA.

Buendia has been superb, particularly in the last few months but to suggest we’ll struggle to win without him does a massive disservice to the rest of the squad and Farke. Those early, ground out wins that set up the season were largely without Buendia, and certainly when he wasn’t as influential as now.

Again, this is not an attempt to bash Emi as I think he’s the only other potential winner of POTS along with Pukki but we are less of a one man team than we’ve ever ever been.

He will be a miss, but Farke and the boys, as with the rest of the season, will find a way.

•  

Its not a nonsense, its a correct stat but really for me the point is that the majority of those games we failed to win/draw were in the first half of the season when not only was Buendia not quite up to speed but also the whole team were not playing as they are now and results were obviously not as good. Whilst his form has been ONE reason for our improvement since the first 6 games its certainly not the only reason as other members of the team have also improved as has our general confidence, momentum and team play. i'm therefore not worried about the Buendia stat.

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its not a nonsense, its a correct stat but really for me the point is that the majority of those games we failed to win/draw were in the first half of the season when not only was Buendia not quite up to speed but also the whole team were not playing as they are now and results were obviously not as good. Whilst his form has been ONE reason for our improvement since the first 6 games its certainly not the only reason as other members of the team have also improved as has our general confidence, momentum and team play. i'm therefore not worried about the Buendia stat.

I pointed out it’s correct. It’s nonsense to mention it without details as paints a far too vague picture on what actually has happened this season. It also does a massive disservice to the rest of the squad to infer Buendia is essential to our success

As the majority on here, I would like to see Mclean pushed forward and Vrancic given the Mclean role. He was playing so well before he got injured! I am sorry but quality has to come first imo ... Leitner and Vrancic are quality ... Emi is just a class act... so Super Mario for me

Vrancic is one of, if not my favourite player we have so whilst I'd love to see him back in I think for team fluidity and continuation it'll be Todd, who certainly deserves as much of a chance to shine again as anyone else.

Mo or Vrancic for me.

Mo in particular was one of our best performing players before he unfortunately got injured. Without the injury he would not have lost his place and therefore I think he deserves a chance to win it back.