BaltimoreBird

Who replaces Buendia?

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

This stat about us only having won with Emi playing (or is it that we’ve not lost?) is stupid and wrong (either way) - he didn’t start at Forest or home to PNE (and he played at PNE and v Stoke).  Good player that he is, it’s far more the team as a whole that’s been winning games.  I’d probably go with Leitner as his replacement but it is great that we have several choices.

He came on as a sub in both those games. So Norwich haven’t won a league game he hasn’t played in this season. Which is what the stat says.

I think it is more a testament to his fitness that he has played pretty much every game after he first game into the team, rather than being Norwich can’t win without him.

But it is pretty clear from just watching Norwich that he is key to the way the team plays and he creates a huge amount. He is probably Norwich’s best player and will be a big miss for the next three games. The team should have enough against Reading and Wigan at least to cover for his absence. 

Oh right, so massaging the stat makes it right? It is utterly stupid. He’s played in the vast majority of games, and we’ve won the majority of games - but also lost several. It is utterly meaningless.  Of course he’s a decent player, but we’ve plenty of those right now.

Edited by Branston Pickle

For me the natural move would be for McLean to replace Buendia in the forward right position and for either Leitner or Vrancic to come into central midfield.

Snake

• Like 4

I would have been more concerned earlier in the season when I think Emi was pivotal to our way of playing and would have been hard to replace.

now I am less concerned, we’ve got a lot of other players who are creating chances and some real talent on the bench so Farke has various options to replace him.

Buendia is a great player but so were Vrancic and Leitner when we lost them to injury...

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He came on as a sub in both those games. So Norwich haven’t won a league game he hasn’t played in this season. Which is what the stat says.

I think it is more a testament to his fitness that he has played pretty much every game after he first game into the team, rather than being Norwich can’t win without him.

But it is pretty clear from just watching Norwich that he is key to the way the team plays and he creates a huge amount. He is probably Norwich’s best player and will be a big miss for the next three games. The team should have enough against Reading and Wigan at least to cover for his absence. 

Probably also worth adding that both of those games were level when he came on as a sub. 

We are a million miles from being a one man team, but it is also the case that he's been head and shoulders our best player in the last couple of months and he will indeed be a big miss. 

• Like 1

I’d like to see Todd given a start, I’m sure he will discover his best form after the break he has had out of the team.

I remember all this concern when Hanley got injured, how would we cope?  How long is he likely to be out for? The same thing about Klose, then Leitner,  followed by Vrancic, Tettey dropped out as well, it's not made a great deal of difference, we're still relentless. 

Yes, Farke will have decisions to make, that's what he's there for, we're so far ahead we could lose a couple and still be comfortable, I'm sure whoever comes in will do a good job and with the fans to back him will put in a decent performance. 

• Like 2

Personally I’d move McLean further forward and put Leitner or Vrancic in next to Trybull. But whatever Farke decides I’ll be happy with. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Personally I’d move McLean further forward and put Leitner or Vrancic in next to Trybull. But whatever Farke decides I’ll be happy with. 

I’m with this!

All last season I was saying Leitner is too good for us,  so I'd pick him, but it may mean a bit of gigging about !

Edited by SwindonCanary

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Absolutely. EB has the X factor and clearly worries teams and excites City fans in equal measures. He will be missed, if nothing more than because it is a treat watching a player with that talent playing for us!

However I agree we have some superb players to come in, such is the standard of our squad. It will be interesting to watch the games he misses though we have enough to cover these without a doubt.

But Emi Buendia is something else.

massive loss - creativity, bite, skill, two footed, scorer etc etc - nobody quite the same as Emi.

However one would hope we still have enough to beat Reading (even though they are fighting very hard for every point)

Just have to trust Farke

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Probably also worth adding that both of those games were level when he came on as a sub. 

We are a million miles from being a one man team, but it is also the case that he's been head and shoulders our best player in the last couple of months and he will indeed be a big miss. 

It’s not worth mentioning that we were behind in games when he went off - most memorably 0-3 vs Forest?

He’s a good little player and been on form , but we’ve got plenty of options if/when he’s out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s not worth mentioning that we were behind in games when he went off - most memorably 0-3 vs Forest?

He’s a great little player and on form , but IMO too many are overstating his influence.  

It is worth mentioning Branston - I hadn't realised that - and I see that we also got the late winner against Bolton after Emi had been substituted (and of course we 'won 1-0' today after he'd been sent off). I really, really hope that we don't miss him at all, but I'm a little bit worried that we might. (I realise that this may lead to me being dubbed a pantwetter 😂 ). 

I think we’ll be fine - he’s clearly been a big plus for us this season but that’s along with many others - we’re miles and miles from a one man band.  I’d personally be more concerned if Teemu were out....

Can understand all the calls for Cantwell but it would be Vrancic for me. We'll miss Emi, but better he learns his lesson now than next season

Just to play devils advocate, that could be the last time we see Emi play in yellow and green... Win every game for the rest of the season so no changes from Farke, then sold in the Summer for crazy money to Real Madrid or someone. My favourite player for NCFC for many years, so really really hope not!!

• Confused 1

Was obviously sad for Emi himself to lose out on the next 3 games, but not to great a worry for City in reality. Im sure the likes of Mo, Mario and Todd are all chomping at the bit for gameplay, theyve all had to sit on the bench a lengthy time of late. They individually may not give what Emi gives, but they all have traits to give that Emi does not have. But he will be back for the final 3 games im sure, by which time we may be very very close to promotion. But i feel Sheff Utd will close the 7 point gap, so both he for the last 3 games and whoever comes in for the next 3 will all all need to keep on their toes  and keep producing the points.

Emi has been fantastic recently and has improved immensely over the season but if we’re relying on him being in the team to ensure a win, then we’re in big trouble whatever league we’re in next season.

This is a perfect opportunity to bring one of best players back in. Push McLean forward and being Leitner back in.

3 hours ago, Vazzza said:

Just to play devils advocate, that could be the last time we see Emi play in yellow and green... Win every game for the rest of the season so no changes from Farke, then sold in the Summer for crazy money to Real Madrid or someone. My favourite player for NCFC for many years, so really really hope not!!

Not going to happen, yes,he's good, very good but he's not ready for Real Madrid or anyone in that class, yet. 

I'd be surprised if he went anywhere else if we're promoted, if he tears up the Premiership next season, we might get a silly offer in January and if he performs well enough to attract that sort of attention then we are likely to have benefited from that. 

A second season in the Premiership plus his fee could set us up for years. 

• Like 1

Buendia will be a huge miss, but equally we were saying the same since Vrancic, Leitner, Klose and others were injured and have since been unable to get into the starting line up because of the superb consistency of the lads who have been starting. 

You just know that whoever gets the nod to take Buendia's place is going to be absolutely playing out of their skin to keep us winning so they keep their place once his ban is over. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Buendia will be a huge miss, but equally we were saying the same since Vrancic, Leitner, Klose and others were injured and have since been unable to get into the starting line up because of the superb consistency of the lads who have been starting. 

You just know that whoever gets the nod to take Buendia's place is going to be absolutely playing out of their skin to keep us winning so they keep their place once his ban is over. 

That’s exactly what you’d hope. Just like McLean, who has been superb. 8 wins on the bounce since he came in! 

Cantwell is very very weak. McLean to replace Emi and Leitner to go into McLeans old spot is the obvious move

cantwell only came on yesterday to counter the speed of the 3rd qpr sub 

Cantwell was Farke’s choice of wide player when Hernandez was out injured earlier in the season. Obviously at the time Maclean wasn’t available but I really can’t see Kenny playing out wide. 

My guess is Hernandez moved to the right side of the pitch and Cantwell plays on the left. It was Reading away that Cantwell picked up a very nice assist for Pukki’s goal. 

You can imagine Farke walking into Colney on Monday morning with six players lined up outside his office, ready to state their case for why they should start in place of Buendia!

The beautiful thing is, whoever Farke selects will have already proven this season that they can bring something positive to the team.

Cantwell is probably the more obvious choice to play on the wing; Vrancic brings goals and assists and Leitner can control games in this league with ease.

Like others have said before, it'll be interesting to see if Farke puts him straight back in after his ban. 

Edited by Yellow and Green