Ginja

Michael McGovern new contract 2021

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on here that he is a huge part of the dressing room. 

That's the mystery solved for me. 

That is utterly bizarre unless DF is happy with keeping Krul at the helm and not getting a new keeper. Bit baffled by this to say the least as I'd have thought a new keeper was probably our biggest need. Unless of course TK doesn't want to sit on the bench but we're getting a new keeper anyway. 

Edited by kick it off

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Don't think he does fill a homegrown spot.

Nope, just realised this - will edit my post accordingly. I really don't understand this move then.

Only point would be that he's 35 in July, so maybe he is moving to the No3 slot.

Seems very strange as I would have said a new keeper was our top priority (if we went to the Premiership), not that Krul is bad, it's just that he can't get down to low shots from distance quickly enough.

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I assume the same homegrown rules apply in premier league as in this division...therefore a foreign player slot taken up and more squad juggling required next season

Totally different rules mate.

Yep, pretty much as surprised as everyone else. Was fully expecting him to go when his contract was up and the club to sign a young keeper more in the Farke mould. Suppose that could still happen if McGov moves down to 3rd choice and I suppose they don't rate our current youngsters.

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I assume the same homegrown rules apply in premier league as in this division...therefore a foreign player slot taken up and more squad juggling required next season

I am not sure that the homegrown rules do apply if you look at some of the Premiership team sheets.

I'm surprised too, but Farke clearly sees more than we do & it sound like he adds more to the club than being a back up keeper. Oxborough might end up out on loan next season I guess?

So, we have Rhodes, Passlack, Pinto, Klose, Wildschut, Jarvis, Naismith and Tristan Abrahams out of contract in June 2019.  I think all bar Klose and Abrahams will go.

Then Tettey, Krul, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Franke, Raggett, Husband and Oliveira out of contract in June 2020.

Solid number 2 / 3 I guess. Happy to stay on what, I assume, are reduced wages and finish his playing days here. I guess he wasn't going to get any better offers and if his family are settled then why not. 

Have to admit I did not see this one coming but so long as his wage is on the cheaper end of the spectrum then so be it. 

I imagine that this might be similar to Tettey re-signing at the end of last season. His new contract probably sees him getting paid a good deal less than before, but we get to keep an experienced and professional older head around the club. 

Yeah can't see why we wouldn't still try and bring in another 'keeper.

Henderson was mentioned. I'd be happy with that. Likely to be a loan too, so the financial side shouldn't be a problem. All depends on Sheff Utd, I'd guess! But, if he did come in, Man Utd would want him to play pretty much every game, I'd imagine.

I have no problem with this , better the devil you know in this instance. He would not have been offered a new contract unless he has some role to play at the club, even if it is just helping the No1 keeper warm up !

7 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

Solid number 2 / 3 I guess. Happy to stay on what, I assume, are reduced wages and finish his playing days here. I guess he wasn't going to get any better offers and if his family are settled then why not. 

Have to admit I did not see this one coming but so long as his wage is on the cheaper end of the spectrum then so be it. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I imagine that this might be similar to Tettey re-signing at the end of last season. His new contract probably sees him getting paid a good deal less than before, but we get to keep an experienced and professional older head around the club. 

Yes, I guess the point is, they've seen enough to offer him a new contract rather than letting his current one end and letting him go.  Presumably the difference between his situation and Ruddy's is the wages (I haven't watched the 2 hour interview...!).

So long as hes's nothing more than a bench warmer, coach or team spirit lifter, next season has to be Krul plus one min

We ask a lot of our keepers now and McGovern just doesn't fit the system, it all falls apart when he plays, emergency use only.

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Big surprise, unless he is moving to the third choice role.

I just assumed this must be what’s happening

Whilst I’m surprised , this thread shows how quick some people are to turn on the club. Personally I’m going to trust Farke and Webber’s judgement.

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

Unless 3rd choice this makes no sense however good he is in the dressing room. No keepers coming through which is a pity when previously young keepers like Lewis. Steer, Rudd and Matthews play first team football.

MM does not count as home grown which is largely irrelevant in PL Arsenal regularly play no English players.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Whilst I’m surprised , this thread shows how quick some people are to turn on the club. Personally I’m going to trust Farke and Webber’s judgement.

Nobody is turning on the club, just questioning it, you don't have to blindly agree with everything they do.