Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Geoffrey Watling

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And from memory, didn't his Aston Martin have gold bumpers?

I don't remember that pops but I was never really in to cars.

When I started going he was very unpopular. That didn't change until Ron Saunders turned things around. 

Fondly remembered now and that's right. For me Sir Arthur played a huge part throughout.

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

Ashamed to say, I can remember the Barclay singing Watling is a w to the great man

Zigger Zagger

Kids used to chant it but most had no idea. The chanting  never made sense to me.

I think he was a bit like Marmite. Loved or loathed. To be honest, it never bothered me then about who was Chairman or majority shareholder. I don't know how much of his own money he put up at the time and how that manifest itself in shares in later years. I just know he was at the helm after Hanley (not Grant).

I remember the crisis of 1957 (I was six) when because we had put floodlights up (two years later those floodlights were heroes) we had run out of money and couldn't meet any of our commitments. I remember Dad saying about the blanket going round and the EDP bailing us out.

Also I remember the board resigning and different businessman taking over, Fisher who owned the Industrial Club for instance and Geoff becoming Chairman.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Zigger Zagger

Kids used to chant it but most had no idea. The chanting  never made sense to me.

"tanker, tanker, tanker

Watling is a w..."

another that in hindsight was not the best

"jump up turn around kick a p......

jump up kick him in the head

all skinheads kick a p........ etc "