Feedthewolf

Next season: what do we need?

12 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Absolutely. Why bother indeed.

My prediction is we'll sign no more than a couple of players with a combined outlay of < £5m.

That’s just not going to happen. Considering Norwich will only have one senior right back and goalkeeper at the end of the season there will be at least two new players needed. Will cost Norwich around £5m if they intend to fill those positions with permanent additions, even if they are just back up. 

As soon as a club enters the Premier League, prices for players shoots up. A player that would cost you £1.5m when you are a championship club now costs £3m. Selling clubs will know Norwich are due to recieve £100m and they will push up prices to match. 

Norwich have had a very clear and long running policy of all money available being used to improve the playing squad. I can’t see why that would suddenly change. 

Anyway, as mentioned earlier in this thread - Norwich are very interested in Ritsu Doan and he’s cost over £10m alone. So they are obviously preparing to spend. 

46 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I seem to remember that our scout who went to see Buendia was wondering where all the other scouts were. If we're going to get value for money, we need to find more 'unknowns' not get into a bidding war with everyone else for a player everyone else is after. 

There are only so many ‘unknown’ players out there that can contribute to a Premier League team. The number of Buendia’s around is tiny. I’d also argue he wasn’t an ‘unknown’ as Leeds were very close to signing him ahead of Norwich. They’d even agreed a fee but wanted to do the deal in the summer, Norwich finalised it in the winter window. 

If you think Webber and Farke will be happy ‘just being there’ in the Prem I think you misread their ambition and determination. They will both want to secure survival and will see that new, better players will be needed in some positions to do so. Those players will cost more than £1.5m. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Keith Scott, Lincoln etc

Not been seen for months, I think!

What a bunch of malingering, snivelling XYZs of ‘supporters’ some of these are.

Or, quite possibly they literally are trolling/sleeper binners with an agenda

Actually, this is important for people to remember when they come back during some poor form run or something and people tell me to 'play the post, not the poster' ****. Bunch of online trolls, nothing more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich have had a very clear and long running policy of all money available being used to improve the playing squad. I can’t see why that would suddenly change. 

Agree with everything you've said Bethnal, but this bit I guess is a little different now. I think we'll be reinvesting more into infrastructure than we did under McNally. If you listen to Ruddy, Russ and Wes talking on TNC they're all delighted to see the work going on around the club now in improving facilities etc but cant believe it hadn't been done earlier.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If you think Webber and Farke will be happy ‘just being there’ in the Prem I think you misread their ambition and determination. They will both want to secure survival and will see that new, better players will be needed in some positions to do so. Those players will cost more than £1.5m. 

This.

Some seem to have convinced themselves that Webber and Farke are here on some noble crusade against big spending rather than just people working within their budgets.

I'd imagine if Farke and Webber take us up and then are given £5m to spend they won't stick around all that much longer.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If you think Webber and Farke will be happy ‘just being there’ in the Prem I think you misread their ambition and determination. They will both want to secure survival and will see that new, better players will be needed in some positions to do so.

Yes, but both Webber & Farke also know that trying to secure survival in the EPL has to be done in a way that allows for failure, and allows for it in a way that makes an immediate return to the top tier not just possible but very likely. So these "better" players have to be prepared to drop down into the Championship and buy into the reality that is the NCFC future (as spelled out by DF in that recent interview). While the incoming players will undoubtedly be more expensive, in virtue firstly of our being in the EPL, and secondly their being "better", their profiles will almost certainly be similar to those of the players we already have; and that will likely be reflected in a relatively modest outlay in comparison to the usual run of promoted clubs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, king canary said:

This.

Some seem to have convinced themselves that Webber and Farke are here on some noble crusade against big spending rather than just people working within their budgets.

I'd imagine if Farke and Webber take us up and then are given £5m to spend they won't stick around all that much longer.

I think most people (myself included until I looked it up) aren't aware just how big the gulf is in money between the Premiership and the Championship. Given that any club going up is guaranteed £90 million (more like £100 million), if they only got £5m to spend, Delia would be trousering a lot of that 😛

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

relatively modest outlay in comparison to the usual run of promoted clubs. 

I'd be intrigued to know what counts as relatively modest.

Krul, McGovern, Aarons, Lewis, Heise, Godfrey, Zimmermann, Klose, Hanley, Tettey, Trybull, Thompson, Leitner, Vrancic, McClean, Hernandez, Buendia, Cantwell, Stiepermann and Pukki makes 20 ( in a 7 homegrown / 13 Foreign split ). (I'm assuming Klose signs a new contract)

I'm thinking we need a No1 goalkeeper, right back cover, defensive central midfielder, pacy winger and another striker.

But that still seems a touch light, so I'm guessing Thompson will have go to go out on loan.

19 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

I think most people (myself included until I looked it up) aren't aware just how big the gulf is in money between the Premiership and the Championship. Given that any club going up is guaranteed £90 million (more like £100 million), if they only got £5m to spend, Delia would be trousering a lot of that 😛

Yes, it's a lot of money for a club like Norwich. But then EPL wages add up to a lot of money too, plus any promotion bonuses for the current squad and any holes in our current year finances that need filling before digging new ones. 

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I wonder how much present players have a payment increase, in their contracts if we go up ?

Promotion pay rises are generally in the 25% - 40% and there will be a cash bonus for each player on top of that which will vary wildly depending on the situation they signed under. 

Obviously all £100m won’t be available to spend and Norwich won’t have a limitless pot of money, but going in with a relatively small wage budget they will have a quite a bit of wriggle room. 

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Yes, but both Webber & Farke also know that trying to secure survival in the EPL has to be done in a way that allows for failure, and allows for it in a way that makes an immediate return to the top tier not just possible but very likely. So these "better" players have to be prepared to drop down into the Championship and buy into the reality that is the NCFC future (as spelled out by DF in that recent interview). While the incoming players will undoubtedly be more expensive, in virtue firstly of our being in the EPL, and secondly their being "better", their profiles will almost certainly be similar to those of the players we already have; and that will likely be reflected in a relatively modest outlay in comparison to the usual run of promoted clubs. 

That is just sensible transfer strategy. Sign younger players with a good reputation that will retain a decent chunk of value should the club be relegated. 

Character assessments seems a large part of the current transfer policy, which there is no need to change. Webber said he met with Pukki three times before the contract was signed. This is something having a director of football allows, a manager wouldn’t have time to do that. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2019 at 20:20, Ward 3 said:

Is it van der horn? If we go up 🙄😉what about Sergio Rico, gk from Fulham? Think hes a very good keeper just Fulham are defensively poor all round

Rico played well yesterday 🙄

I think we need;

1x keeper

1x holding midfielder

1x winger

2x striker (assuming Rhodes is off)

Purely due to these being the positions we struggle with the most for depth. I think it is important we keep the core of our team the same, for momentums sake.

All I will need is a season ticket and good enough health to bike down to CR🚵

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

All I will need is a season ticket and good enough health to bike down to CR🚵

And a bigger backed sofa.😀

• Like 1

The squad is mostly fine. But the server running the pinkun website could do with refreshing...!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I think we need;

1x keeper

1x holding midfielder

1x winger

Purely due to these being the positions we struggle with the most for depth. I think it is important we keep the core of our team the same, for momentums sake.

I said just this in an earlier thread. Possibly 3 strikers. We need some clinical finishers.

18 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I think we need;

1x keeper

1x holding midfielder

1x winger

a right-back too as backup for Max

Krul / ?

Aarons/?  Zimmerman/Hanley Godfrey/Klose   Lewis/ Heise

Trybull/Tettey    Leitner/Vrancic Buendia/?   Steipermann/McLean  Hernandez / ?

Pukki / ?

...Thats 5 ?'s for me....back up/competition for Krul.....cover at right back (is Passlack good enough to come back another season?)....two attacking wide men (or one that can cover both flanks)...and another striker.....not sure if we'd try to get Rhodes permenantly?

I loved seeing that image last night Nutty, what a fantastic feat. Webber and Farke are on the money with the team playing a quality above the rest at times this season. Very much reminds me of our promotion under Lambert in which we did the right things by continuing to sign players within our young and hungry ethos and as such, I do believe if we keep on this upward trajectory we will be okay with sensible investment next season. 

A few minor signings, obviously back up for Pukki, Onel, Buendia, Aaron's and Krul are the obvious ones, but it does all depend on who leaves the club as well. I certainly hope Klose and Tettey are still around, experience in a young side is worth as much as anything else