Feedthewolf

Next season: what do we need?

14 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Is it van der horn? If we go up 🙄😉what about Sergio Rico, gk from Fulham? Think hes a very good keeper just Fulham are defensively poor all round

If Fulham fans are a guide, Rico is an appalling keeper. They feel Bettinelli? Should have been given a fairer crack of the whip.

7 minutes ago, unique said:

If Fulham fans are a guide, Rico is an appalling keeper. They feel Bettinelli? Should have been given a fairer crack of the whip.

Think their 3 keepers are all a much of a muchness. Bettinelli is a fan favourite as he is a lifelong Fulham fan and came through their academy. Personally I wouldn’t look to bring any of them into Norwich. 

Henderson should be first on the list of keeper targets. 

On 02/04/2019 at 10:35, Feedthewolf said:

Totally agree, but you just know that after our first thumping next season we'll get an influx of absent posters gleefully telling us how Delia's lack of investment has condemned the club to being the laughing stock of English football...

ROFL .....are you going to open a book on a few front runners and with the odds on who's first to crawl out of the woodwork? 🙄

54 minutes ago, unique said:

I was watching the highlights from Fulham's game v Man City & thought how weak their keeper looked.  Seemed slow to get down to shots and for the first goal (after appalling defending it has to be said) he seemed to make a really lazy attempt at saving the shot, almost putting an arm out in the general direction of the shot in hop that it might get in the way. 

On the negative posters crawling out after our first big defeat, I think the club has a real opportunity to be very positive about our approach next season - committed to youth development, self-funding, belief in the way the club has got to where we are and how it'll be our approach going forward etc.

The thing is what do we do if we find ourselves in repeat of our last season in the Premier League as the winter window approached?

Do we apply the Mad McNally  ("A fate worse than death") approach and break the bank and threaten the wages structure with the likes of another Naismith type signing (although didn't we sign Klose about that time as well .... and Pinto?) or do we stick to our principles, despite may be even having the cash from the unwelcome sale of one or two of the youngsters.

Who will hold their nerve for the longest amount of time the executive or the support? I suspect the former.

With perhaps one or two additions I, personally, would like to see the present squad 'given their head' until the next New Year when decisions may or may not then need be taken.

1 hour ago, C.I.D said:

ROFL .....are you going to open a book on a few front runners and with the odds on who's first to crawl out of the woodwork? 🙄

Highland Canary: 8/11fav

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

The thing is what do we do if we find ourselves in repeat of our last season in the Premier League as the winter window approached?

Do we apply the Mad McNally  ("A fate worse than death") approach and break the bank and threaten the wages structure with the likes of another Naismith type signing (although didn't we sign Klose about that time as well .... and Pinto?) or do we stick to our principles, despite may be even having the cash from the unwelcome sale of one or two of the youngsters.

Who will hold their nerve for the longest amount of time the executive or the support? I suspect the former.

With perhaps one or two additions I, personally, would like to see the present squad 'given their head' until the next New Year when decisions may or may not then need be taken.

Totally agree with this Broadstairs, an excellent analysis. I think we need to trust Farke and Webber, and be prepared to safeguard the club from future financial meltdown by being parsimonious with the pounds. If we go down, so be it, but we must hold our nerve. If we stay up, we'll easily be able to slightly increase our budget by cashing in on a couple of our biggest talents.

Unless we find that miraculous benefactor who's willing to catapult us to the next level, let's just remember how great it's been to play excellent football in this division – and if we end up back here, it's a lesser evil than overstretching and ending up like Birmingham et al.

• Like 1

Hmm if we go up what do we need..

A head coach who has brought a style of play that is exciting for the fans to watch, that is a winning formula and who has galvanised a squad into a young, upwardly mobile unit that doesnt know when its beaten.

A sporting director who can find and pluck players from places other never dreamed of and are suitable to fit into the ethos that the head coach has built and installed into his lads.

A loan department that mostly gets right players going out and players coming in and all the individual situations  associated with each loan.

A football club that will absolutely demand and get top dollar for any of our stars  that gets bought by a higher and wealthier club than ours.

Daniel Farke, Stuart Webber, Neil Adams, NCFC.

I believe the main ingrdients are already in place.

• Like 1

As we picked up Emi Buendia for ~£1.5 million I'd expect that to shape the kind of player we're looking for.

I'd be surprised if we spent more than £10-15 million on improving the squad next year

11 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

As we picked up Emi Buendia for ~£1.5 million I'd expect that to shape the kind of player we're looking for.

I'd be surprised if we spent more than £10-15 million on improving the squad next year

I’d be surprised if Norwich (should they make it) didn’t sign at least one player who costs £10m+ alone. 

When you consider even Huddersfield and their limited resources signed 2 players for over £10m in their first season and a further £8m on Aaron Mooy. 

Norwich have been running a budget that matches their income under Webber, it isn’t they aren’t spending money because they fundamentally disagree with that idea. With a Premier League budget (should they make it) I expect Norwich to have Premier League spending - just they will spend on players who the club feel provide good value and fit the group. 

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’d be surprised if Norwich (should they make it) didn’t sign at least one player who costs £10m+ alone. 

When you consider even Huddersfield and their limited resources signed 2 players for over £10m in their first season and a further £8m on Aaron Mooy. 

Norwich have been running a budget that matches their income under Webber, it isn’t they aren’t spending money because they fundamentally disagree with that idea. With a Premier League budget (should they make it) I expect Norwich to have Premier League spending - just they will spend on players who the club feel provide good value and fit the group. 

I'll admit I hadn't realised how much the Premiership money had gone up. Talksport list that even in 20th West Brom got £94 million.

I was basing my assessment on our first season in the Premiership under Lambert, but with those figures, it does look too little.

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Didn't Webber leave before they got promoted? I'm not saying that the recruitment wasn't implemented by him, we know these things rumble on for some time. It's been discussed, but perhaps the Huddersfield comparison is a bit of a lazy one now, in light of what we've seen from us?

29 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Didn't Webber leave before they got promoted? I'm not saying that the recruitment wasn't implemented by him, we know these things rumble on for some time. It's been discussed, but perhaps the Huddersfield comparison is a bit of a lazy one now, in light of what we've seen from us?

Not comparing due to Webber, but using Huddersfield as an example of the smallest budget Premier League team for the past two seasons spending over £28m on three players in their first season - even if Norwich spend less than the lowest spending team (and considering  Norwich will receive more broadcast money due to a new larger deal) I highly doubt they won’t break the £10m for at least one player. 

As people have rightly been saying, Norwich don’t need a whole new squad, they need a few, quality additions in a few positions. That points towards a strategy of spending a decent amount on a few players. I’d go as far to stay it would almost be negligent of Webber to not spend big on some new talent. The money will be there to spend, better being spent on players than sitting in the bank. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Highland Canary: 8/11fav

Keith Scott, Lincoln etc

Not been seen for months, I think!

What a bunch of malingering, snivelling XYZs of ‘supporters’ some of these are.

Or, quite possibly they literally are trolling/sleeper binners with an agenda

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not comparing due to Webber, but using Huddersfield as an example of the smallest budget Premier League team for the past two seasons spending over £28m on three players in their first season - even if Norwich spend less than the lowest spending team (and considering  Norwich will receive more broadcast money due to a new larger deal) I highly doubt they won’t break the £10m for at least one player. 

As people have rightly been saying, Norwich don’t need a whole new squad, they need a few, quality additions in a few positions. That points towards a strategy of spending a decent amount on a few players. I’d go as far to stay it would almost be negligent of Webber to not spend big on some new talent. The money will be there to spend, better being spent on players than sitting in the bank. 

Exactly.

This season only two premier League clubs haven't spent at least £10m on one player- Spurs, who signed nobody, and Crystal Palace who spent £9.7m on one player instead. Only one other club spent less than £15m (Watford) on a single player.

So this means every single promoted team spent over £15m on a single player. The important thing is not to tie the club down to unaffordable long term deals we can't shift ala Naismith and Jarvis. Webber is smart enough to avoid that.

15 million doesn't get you much nowadays, if they're any good there will be a bidding war and we can't compete with established Premiership Clubs,  people have talked about Che Adams,  Gunny and Bowen, all out of our reach and no guarantee that they will improve us.

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

15 million doesn't get you much nowadays, if they're any good there will be a bidding war and we can't compete with established Premiership Clubs,  people have talked about Che Adams,  Gunny and Bowen, all out of our reach and no guarantee that they will improve us.

Well by that logic why bother signing anyone?

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm just very impressed by paying one and a half mill for Buendia and hope DF/SW have a few more up their sleeve. The idea of shelling out on another Naismith sends shivers....

We need unstinting, relentless, loud, passionate and raucous support from the stands if we compete in the premiership next season.

Sign those qualities up and we will be fine in FCR.

On 01/04/2019 at 22:05, Feedthewolf said:

Bo||ocks, I knew I'd miss someone. I had him in the original squad but somehow missed him out of the second squad! Stick him as number 21 to replace the new signing... 🙂

You also seem to have missed out Quagliarella somehow...

In respect of the keepers discussion, I think that Henderson should be #1 priority but I would have Randolph ranked equally highly if Henderson proves too expensive. Randolph is an excellent keeper and at 31 he still has quite a few years left in him.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Absolutely. Why bother indeed.

My prediction is we'll sign no more than a couple of players with a combined outlay of < £5m.

15 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not comparing due to Webber, but using Huddersfield as an example of the smallest budget Premier League team for the past two seasons spending over £28m on three players in their first season ................

If we are going to use Huddersfield as an example, we need to look beyond what they did in their first season in the EPL and look hard at what they did this season and what they do in the summer and next season. The upside of their spending over £28m on three players last season was (arguably) that it bought them a second season in the top tier. But it didn't buy them a third season; on the contrary it saw them relegated after a miserably weak showing. And we will have to wait some time before we see how well equipped they are as regards  an immediate return to the top tier. Maybe buying those players, with its short term pay off, will turn out to be the familiar story of a club throwing the promotion winning baby out with the bath water in the course of avoiding a charge of negligence for not "spending big on new players". 

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

15 million doesn't get you much nowadays, if they're any good there will be a bidding war and we can't compete with established Premiership Clubs

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I'm just very impressed by paying one and a half mill for Buendia and hope DF/SW have a few more up their sleeve. The idea of shelling out on another Naismith sends shivers....

But can you not see how pre Buendia signing you could have said '£1.5m doesn't get you much, if they are any good there'll be a bidding war?' 

If you trust in Webber and Farke to get good value for £1.5m why wouldn't you trust them to get good value at £10-15m.

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

But can you not see how pre Buendia signing you could have said '£1.5m doesn't get you much, if they are any good there'll be a bidding war?' 

If you trust in Webber and Farke to get good value for £1.5m why wouldn't you trust them to get good value at £10-15m.

100% agree - a pertinent example would be Serie A this season. Empoli signed Krzysztof Piatek from Cracovia Krakow (who play in the Polish top flight) at the start of the season for £3.5 million. By January he was the top scorer in Serie A and Milan signed him to replace Higuain for £35mill. He's averaging almost a goal a game (117mins per goal). He's currently one goal behind Quagliarella in the race for the golden boot but has a better goals to minutes ratio.

To give some context to all the above - Piatek cost £3.5mill in the summer from a minor European league. He now stands one goal ahead of (£100 million) Cristiano Ronaldo in the golden boot standings with the best goals to minutes ratio in the league.

Sure, they're not easy to find, but if anyone can do it, it is Webber and Farke.

• Like 1

Can someone (Bethnal?) remind us of the current EPL rule relating to homegrown players? Last time I read about it , the rule was a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players in the 25-strong EPL nominated squad. But a couple of years back, **** (later replaced), as I recall, wanted to change it to a minimum of 12 homegrown players.

Edited by westcoastcanary

Just now, westcoastcanary said:

Can someone (Bethnal?) remind us of the current EPL rule relating to homegrown players? Last time I read about it , the rule was a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players in the 25-strong EPL nominated squad.

I posted this earlier in the thread:

According to the Premier League website: "Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2018/19 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997." Therefore it's fair to assume that anyone born after 1 January 1998 will be able to play for us without filling a space in the 25-man squad.

Eight of the 25-man squad must qualify as home-grown. The rules for that are as follows: "A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

18 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Oops! Thanks FTW. How did I miss it (as bad as a bad Wolfswinckel miss ............) 😳

Not that bad.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I seem to remember that our scout who went to see Buendia was wondering where all the other scouts were. If we're going to get value for money, we need to find more 'unknowns' not get into a bidding war with everyone else for a player everyone else is after.