Feedthewolf

Next season: what do we need?

I'm working on the proviso that the following currently contracted players would not represent the club again if we go up: McGovern, Jarvis, Naismith, Wildschut, Franke, Marshall, Pinto, Oliveira, Husband, Raggett (plus Passlack would return to Dortmund

Hope we see the back of Jarvis, Naismith, Oliveria,  Husband,  Pinto,  Wildschut. and Passlack

Need a keeper and a striker and mid table is guaranteed with this squad. The difference between TP and the TC mid table teams is nothing. 

Mid table at least with present side

PS Why are we all assuming promotion is guaranteed

13 minutes ago, daly said:

PS Why are we all assuming promotion is guaranteed

Check the first sentence of my original post 🙂

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Who will?.....wouldnt see them walking into many established premier league teams

I agree. If we go up we're surely going to have some money to spend, and up front's the position where you have to splash out. I'm not saying they're necessarily the right players, but they might be less of a risk in terms of if they come and do well they have an inherent sell-on value should we go down. But another Puuki for free would be fine!

I think westcoast has this right, it's one thing identifying positions that need strengthening, the players on our shopping list, at a price that we can afford means we've probably never heard of them. 

Right, I'm going to have a crack at a 25-man squad.

According to the Premier League website: "Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2018/19 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997." Therefore it's fair to assume that anyone born after 1 January 1998 will be able to play for us without filling a space in the 25-man squad.

Eight of the 25-man squad must qualify as home-grown. The rules for that are as follows: "A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

I've checked the dates of birth and club histories, so hopefully the information below should be largely accurate.

GOALKEEPERS
1 Tim Krul (Homegrown 1)

DEFENDERS
2 Timm Klose
3 Christoph Zimmermann
4 Grant Hanley (Homegrown 2)
5 Phillip Heise

MIDFIELDERS
Marco Stiepermann
7 Alex Tettey
8 Tom Trybull
9 Kenny McLean
10 Louis Thompson (Homegrown 3)
11 Moritz Leitner
12 Mario Vrancic
13 Emi Buendia
14 Onel Hernandez

FORWARDS
Teemu Pukki
16 Dennis Srbeny

Oxborough, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell were all born in 1998 so would be eligible as U21 players, and obviously Aarons is younger still. I presume any or all of those five players (plus any other youngsters such as Idah) could be included in the 25 to fill the homegrown criteria if necessary? If not, then would we need to sign five homegrown players simply to fill our quota? It appears that we currently only have three over-21 homegrown players in our whole squad.

Let's assume that sanity prevails and we can 'upgrade' some of our first-team players under the age of 21 to fully fledged members of the 25 in order to fulfil the homegrown criterion. Assuming no unwanted player sales and a minimum of outlay for new players, the 25 could look something like this:

GOALKEEPERS
1 Tim Krul [Homegrown 1]
2 Aston Oxborough [Homegrown 2]
3 New signing

RIGHT BACKS
4 Max Aarons [Homegrown 3]
5 New signing

LEFT BACKS
6 Jamal Lewis [Homegrown 4]
7 Philip Heise

CENTRE BACKS
8 Grant Hanley [Homegrown 5]
9 Ben Godfrey [Homegrown 6]
10 Christoph Zimmermann
11 Timm Klose

DEFENSIVE/CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS
12 Alex Tettey
13 Louis Thompson [Homegrown 7]
14 Tom Trybull
15 Mo Leitner
16 Kenny McLean

WIDE/ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS
Emi Buendia
18 Todd Cantwell [Homegrown 8]
19 Onel Hernandez
20 Marco Stiepermann
21 Mario Vrancic

FORWARDS
Teemu Pukki
23 Dennis Srbeny
24 Adam Idah [Homegrown 9]
25 New signing

That's the most rudimentary skeleton of a squad I can pull together, although I'd imagine we'd probably also want to sign a versatile defender on top of that (as well as possibly replacing/upgrading the likes of Klose, Tettey, Thompson and Srbeny). It should be a decent starting point for what our squad might look like in the event of our promotion.

I've just spent the best part of an hour putting this together, so a) be grateful, and b) blame me if we don't get promoted.

Edited by Feedthewolf
Missed out Vrancic!
  • Like 1

I think it's fine to dream about new players in isolation but Farke has created a team/squad/club that is much greater than the sum of its magnificent parts. It plays as one. The last thing we need is some prima-donna trophy signing(s) that unbalance the teams ethos and spirit. So yes the odd signing where we have known lack of cover but I suspect all of the present squad to get their chance to prove they are EPL quality.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Right, I'm going to have a crack at a 25-man squad.

According to the Premier League website: "Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2018/19 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997." Therefore it's fair to assume that anyone born after 1 January 1998 will be able to play for us without filling a space in the 25-man squad.

Eight of the 25-man squad must qualify as home-grown. The rules for that are as follows: "A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

I've checked the dates of birth and club histories, so hopefully the information below should be largely accurate.

GOALKEEPERS
1 Tim Krul (Homegrown 1)

DEFENDERS
2 Timm Klose
3 Christoph Zimmermann
4 Grant Hanley (Homegrown 2)
5 Phillip Heise

MIDFIELDERS
Marco Stiepermann
7 Alex Tettey
8 Tom Trybull
9 Kenny McLean
10 Louis Thompson (Homegrown 3)
11 Moritz Leitner
12 Mario Vrancic
13 Emi Buendia
14 Onel Hernandez

FORWARDS
Teemu Pukki
16 Dennis Srbeny

Oxborough, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell were all born in 1998 so would be eligible as U21 players, and obviously Aarons is younger still. I presume any or all of those five players (plus any other youngsters such as Idah) could be included in the 25 to fill the homegrown criteria if necessary? If not, then would we need to sign five homegrown players simply to fill our quota? It appears that we currently only have three over-21 homegrown players in our whole squad.

Let's assume that sanity prevails and we can 'upgrade' some of our first-team players under the age of 21 to fully fledged members of the 25 in order to fulfil the homegrown criterion. Assuming no unwanted player sales and a minimum of outlay for new players, the 25 could look something like this:

GOALKEEPERS
1 Tim Krul [Homegrown 1]
2 Aston Oxborough [Homegrown 2]
3 New signing

RIGHT BACKS
4 Max Aarons [Homegrown 3]
5 New signing

LEFT BACKS
6 Jamal Lewis [Homegrown 4]
7 Philip Heise

CENTRE BACKS
8 Grant Hanley [Homegrown 5]
9 Ben Godfrey [Homegrown 6]
10 Christoph Zimmermann
11 Timm Klose

DEFENSIVE/CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS
12 Alex Tettey
13 Louis Thompson [Homegrown 7]
14 Tom Trybull
15 Mo Leitner
16 Kenny McLean

WIDE/ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS
Emi Buendia
18 Todd Cantwell [Homegrown 8]
19 Onel Hernandez
20 Marco Stiepermann
21 New signing

FORWARDS
Teemu Pukki
23 Dennis Srbeny
24 Adam Idah [Homegrown 9]
25 New signing

That's the most rudimentary skeleton of a squad I can pull together, although I'd imagine we'd probably also want to sign a versatile defender on top of that (as well as possibly replacing/upgrading the likes of Klose, Tettey, Thompson and Srbeny). It should be a decent starting point for what our squad might look like in the event of our promotion.

I've just spent the best part of an hour putting this together, so a) be grateful, and b) blame me if we don't get promoted.

Where is Vrancic ?

28 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Where is Vrancic ?

Bo||ocks, I knew I'd miss someone. I had him in the original squad but somehow missed him out of the second squad! Stick him as number 21 to replace the new signing... 🙂

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Bo||ocks, I knew I'd miss someone. I had him in the original squad but somehow missed him out of the second squad! Stick him as number 21 to replace the new signing... 🙂

😊😊😊

Seeing as Aaron's, Lewis, Godfrey and maybe Cantwell will be first team next season, I don't think we will bother go for the full 25 man squad on top of these. that would be a far too bloated squad.

We will have:

Krul, "signing 1", Oxbrough

Aarons, "signing 2"

Zimm, Godfrey, Klose (need the pl exp), Hanley

Lewis, Heise

Trybull, "signing 3", Thompson

McLean, Vrancic, Leitner

Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez, Cantwell, "signing 4", "signing 5"

Pukki, "signing 6", Morris/Idah.

I make that 26 players (23/24 competing for first choice spots)

I don't think any of the signings will be brought in purely for back up. We still have the likes of Marshall or Husband etc if we were going to bother with that route. Theres the lad out in America to come back as well who may be another one for the full back production line we are currently running.

I know Klose isn't in the team currently but he will be an important player to have if we go up. He is always the first one Farke goes to late on in games atm as well. Don't forget he is comfortable and composed on the ball and suits our style. Godfrey may even end up pushing forward or Zimm may need someone experienced with/instead of him once Aguero and co come to town. He seems to love it here as well so why would he go?

I Could see Hanley stay as well as we may end up having to go 3 at the back some weeks in the prem with Godfrey the libero and Aaron's and Lewis wing backs. A year is a long time and tactics change.

If God forbid we don't go up, I can't see much difference in what we go for though we would probably keep Rhodes and lose one or two of the likes of Aarons, Lewis or Buendia. It would be Oxborough on the bench as well.

• Like 1

Callum Chambers for Zimmermann? With respect but... Seriously? I think Christoph will actually be a very good Prem defender, such an underrated player! 

Zimbo, Klose and Godfrey I think will do just fine. Not sure about Hanley, with total respect to him, I have a feeling it will be him making way should we bring another CB in.

• Thanks 1

For the CB, what about that Dutch guy at Swansea? He looks pretty neat with the ball at his feet but don't know if he has the defensive chops needed ..

Whichever league we are in no negativity towards our players. Don’t destroy what we have.  As Webber says if in the PL there will be weeks we get stuffed and that’s the time to pull together

• Like 1

Just now, Well b back said:

Whichever league we are in no negativity towards our players. Don’t destroy what we have.  As Webber says if in the PL there will be weeks we get stuffed and that’s the time to pull together

Totally agree, but you just know that after our first thumping next season we'll get an influx of absent posters gleefully telling us how Delia's lack of investment has condemned the club to being the laughing stock of English football...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don’t think we’ll sign many and upset the harmony of the squad. Definitely need another striker, it could be a step too far for Srbeny and do we sign up Rhodes? 

5 minutes ago, ec-p said:

Don’t think we’ll sign many and upset the harmony of the squad. Definitely need another striker, it could be a step too far for Srbeny and do we sign up Rhodes? 

Don't think Rhodes is the right fit for the EPL. He's been sat on the bench for most of the year, would command a high transfer fee and wages, and doesn't fit the 'young and hungry' mould. Would be very surprised if we signed him on permanently – not the right fit if we go up, and too expensive if we stay down.

• Like 2

Sorry King Canary can’t agree on zimbo he is fearless never ducks a challenge leader by example otbc

I think Patience will have to be top of our wishes.

Hopefully we won't change our model and will leave it to the staff to identify the possibilities.

It will be tough and we should hope for success but prepare for failure. 

For a variation on this theme, who would you want to steal from our promotion rivals if they don't go up this year.... ?

7 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

Sorry King Canary can’t agree on zimbo he is fearless never ducks a challenge leader by example otbc

My concern is he's slow, particularly on the turn. I have no doubt about his commitment but the idea of him up against some of the pacier strikers in the top division worries me. Could happily be wrong though.

Interesting how people refer to Norwich’s transfer strategy under Farke and Webber as getting ‘young and hungry’ players - when only one of their first team signings has been under 23 years old. 

I get what people are saying about not wanting the harmony of the dressing room disrupted with new signings but Webber and Farke have been very careful with who has been brought in so far to make sure they have the right character. I presume that would continue even in the Premier League (should Norwich make it there). The current good mood has been built pretty quickly, with large squad turnovers for 3 of the last 4 windows - I don’t see how bringing in 4 or 5 new players would risk that, as long as Webber continues to do his due diligence with signings. 

If Norwich want to survive in the Prem (should they make it there) they need to do something about how many goals and chances they concede in games - while this is partly structural it is also partly personnel. 

I’ve regularly told Mrs Frank that size isn’t everything, but at the moment quite a few of our side are pretty small, we could do with a couple of strong 6’2” types coming in, provided they’re good enough on the ball obviously

Edited by FenwayFrank

10 hours ago, cornish sam said:

For the CB, what about that Dutch guy at Swansea? He looks pretty neat with the ball at his feet but don't know if he has the defensive chops needed ..

Is it van der horn? If we go up 🙄😉what about Sergio Rico, gk from Fulham? Think hes a very good keeper just Fulham are defensively poor all round

2 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Is it van der horn? If we go up 🙄😉what about Sergio Rico, gk from Fulham? Think hes a very good keeper just Fulham are defensively poor all round

or did you mean Carter-Vickers, who is on loan from Spurs? If so, I agree, very good player.

Mike Van der Hoorn is a good shout, think he's out of contract this summer too. If so there will certainly be some competition.