Feedthewolf

Next season: what do we need?

I am NOT REPEAT NOT jumping the gun on promotion here; I know we still have to win five more matches to seal the deal. However, in the interest of filling five days before we get to play again, here are my questions to you:

1) Who of our current squad is good enough to remain in the squad for the PL should we be promoted?

2) In what areas do we most need to strengthen should we be promoted?

I'm working on the proviso that the following currently contracted players would not represent the club again if we go up: McGovern, Jarvis, Naismith, Wildschut, Franke, Marshall, Pinto, Oliveira, Husband, Raggett (plus Passlack would return to Dortmund).

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd be mainly looking at the spine.

Keeper

Central defender

Defensive midfielder

Striker

Not sure that we'll get another CB, but I reckon they'll look at another 'keeper as McGovern likely off... not because of Krul! But if the Henderson link is to be believed, I'd be happy with him betwixt the sticks.

I also feel as though if we do get a striker it would perhaps be unfair on Pukki. However, with the assumption that we won't keep Rhodes, we'd need someone else in.

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd be mainly looking at the spine.

Keeper

Central defender

Defensive midfielder

Striker

Think this is bang on - would also add another winger as not many options if Hernandez or Buendia get injured and will need a right back as Pinto/Passlack won’t be around next season. 

28 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Not sure that we'll get another CB, but I reckon they'll look at another 'keeper as McGovern likely off... not because of Krul! But if the Henderson link is to be believed, I'd be happy with him betwixt the sticks.

I also feel as though if we do get a striker it would perhaps be unfair on Pukki. However, with the assumption that we won't keep Rhodes, we'd need someone else in.

I've got a (probably not widely shared) feeling that Zimmerman will struggle at the top level so that is why I suggests a central defender.

20 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think this is bang on - would also add another winger as not many options if Hernandez or Buendia get injured and will need a right back as Pinto/Passlack won’t be around next season. 

Yeah that is probably fair- I'd imagine we'll be looking at a couple of loans and 3-4 permanent signings.

Cant see another CB coming in. We have 4 already. Klose and Hanley are suitable rotation options as well. Maybe a more mobile option that can cover RB as well (like Godfrey already is). Holgate might fit this.

Centre mid is pretty stacked as it is but a proper Tettey replacement would be crucial. Trybull may be fit and firing now but he has had fitness issues in the past and we cant just have him as a combative centre mid. Dare I say it but Kalvin Phillips would be ideal here should my northern neighbours bottle it 😉 if not, I like the look of Chris Basham from the other riders for 2nd.

A bit of an outlet/ all rounder would be needed up top. I suspect an upgraded slightly quicker version of Jordan Rhodes. don't think we will sign him if we go up. Maybe back in for Haller if he is still attainable.

Another exciting winger would be good as well. Perhaps someone like Smith-Rowe on loan if Arsenal want him to get used to the English league and cant give him game time yet.

A new keeper would be needed even if we like Krul now but I would want us to go for a realistic challenger to him. Perhaps Dean Henderson could be the guy or Alex McCarthy/Gunn if Southampton decide to ditch one of them.

Got a feeling we will have to be a bit more creative than my suggestions and I bet we have already planned for every eventuality already. Average players at prem level are extortionate and I don't think we are going to be breaking the bank.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

I've got a (probably not widely shared) feeling that Zimmerman will struggle at the top level so that is why I suggests a central defender.

Zimbo will be starting most games imo. Farke has always stuck with him.

It's all been links to attacking players so far. Yusuf Yazici, an attacking midfielder/number 10 type who I like the look of and the lad from Greece (Giorgos Masouras) who is a winger.

If we need home grown then I would go for Bowen from hull, he has looked like one of the standout performers all season, though for me the two priority positions are keeper and CDM, krul is good and could be good enough, but, can be a bit slow with ball at feet and we would need backup if we do go with him. CDM, I have no idea, but we unfortunately will need an upgrade on trybull/tettey. Anything beyond those two would be nice, but less vital.

In goal I wonder if there is a chance we could go for Nick Pope (although he is an Ipswich fan). He's below Heaton but proven at this level.

Central defence isn't about numbers it is about quality- I'm not sure of Zimbo or Hanley at that level. I don't have any major suggestions but I've always liked the look of Konsa at Brentford. Or will Arsenal loan out Callum Chambers again? 

In midfield I'd love to see us grab Aaron Mooy but that might be a stretch. Anguissa from Fulham would be a dream but he will be too expensive.

Upfront I'd love someone with a bit of pace. Maupay at Brentford would be great. I also really liked the look of Daniel Arzani who was in the Australian World Cup squad but he did his knee on loan at Celtic so might not be ready.

50 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Don’t forget we’ve already been linked with a Japanese winger/striker

Ritsu Doan, I know nothing about him but would love a Japanese player in our squad.

Main one for me......goalkeeper.

Tim looked more comfortable this week kicking it long.

otherwise he gives most of us raised blood pressure when he looks to pass out from the back. He just can’t cut it the Man City way.

Frankly, impossible I know, but if we had kept Angus.........we would allave been far more confident.

One thing is for sure, we won't bring anyone in who isn't a fit for our dressing room and the way we play. No good plucking "good players" out of thin air while ignoring questions about character, temperament, technical ability and suitability/adaptability for our style of play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

but if we had kept Angus.........we would allave been far more confident.

Nothing against Angus, but Krul better suits what we needed from a goalkeeper this season. The leadership and wealth of experience he has is invaluable.

• Like 10

The point is we don't know who may be off, something that is pretty much out of our hands so we can't be sure what positions would need to be covered.

Out of the 25 man squad it is often seen as 'one and a spare' for each 'position'.

I would expect that were we to be in the Championship next season then a few of the youth players sich as Idah would be stepping up, but the PL may be a step to far at their stage of development.

Players such as Passlack may well stay but go out on a season long lone, as with Oxborough.

What I hope not to see is a clamour for 'well known names' who would doubtlessly command a high fee ie other clubs Maddisons and Murphys. We need to be targetting the likes of McLean. Relative unknowns who will 'buy into what we are doing' rather than the likes of Brady, Pritchard et all who strike me as no more thanjourneymen happy to ply their trade but with no real commitment. Something that was all too obvious in our first season back in the Championship.

Have a good look at what happened to Fulham this season and pretty much go with what we've got. We will have difficulty holding on to Max but if we do we need competition at right back, wide player, goalkeeper and centre forward. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd have thought that Klose would sign a new 2-3 year contract, giving us Godfrey, Klose, Zimmerman and Hanley. For me Hanley's the fourth in that list, so unless he wants to leave to get more game time, I struggle to see us bringing in another centre back (unless it's someone for the U-23s)

1 minute ago, Icecream Snow said:

I'd have thought that Klose would sign a new 2-3 year contract, giving us Godfrey, Klose, Zimmerman and Hanley. For me Hanley's the fourth in that list, so unless he wants to leave to get more game time, I struggle to see us bringing in another centre back (unless it's someone for the U-23s)

It still doesn’t address the fact they Norwich probably don’t have 2 centrebacks at the level needed for the Prem (in my opinion). 

I kind of expect Klose to not renew his contract regardless of the league Norwich are in. 

Aaron’s back on loan after massive offers are made for him by some of the top six. Hope we are not put in this position but fear some huge offers.

Who could we take with us from the Championship?

Bowen from Hull as cover/competition for either flank

Che Adams competition for strikers

But in all probability we'll probably shuffle the pack (keeping in mind the homegrown rule) regarding German and foreign league imports....you could maybe see Srbeny,Tettey,Passlack,Pinto,McGovern,Klose?,Naismith,Wildschut out to be replaced by a higher standard of import

If Norwich go up I doubt they will sell any players they don’t want to go. Very rare for promoted teams to sell their best players and I can’t see where Aarons could go that would be willing to pay the money Norwich will want (especially as Wan-Bissako will be the first choice right back target for the big 6). 

Goalkeeper - genuine competition for Krul. Not necessarily a guaranteed replacement but someone who could be No1.

Right back - Competition for Aarons but replacement for Passlack / Ivo

DM - Not convinced Trybull or Tettey are up to the Premiership.

Winger - PACE. Only Hernandez currently has pace of our "wingers". If he's out or off form we don't have pacey wingers as options.

Striker - Happy to go with Teemu up top but with Rhodes probably not signing (and if we're honest, despite being a nice guy, doesn't completely fit our style) we need some genuine competition for him.

Of that, I'd consider the Winger and DM the most important.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It still doesn’t address the fact they Norwich probably don’t have 2 centrebacks at the level needed for the Prem (in my opinion). 

I kind of expect Klose to not renew his contract regardless of the league Norwich are in. 

I think Klose will stay if we go up.  Hanley I suspect will be off to regular games in the Championship, so a 4th CB will be needed. Schindler from Huddersfield would do nicely.

I don't think much will change among the first team squad. I think we would buy Rhodes and Passlack because I think they are a big part of the dynamic. I would expect at least 1 GK if not 2 (someone like Pope to challenge Krul) and another DM plus 1 winger (Bowen indeally) and another forward (Che Adams preferably, though it wouldn't surprise me if Farke brought Idah and Spyrou in instead). Suspect also that Srbeny and Morris would go on loan.

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I kind of expect Klose to not renew his contract regardless of the league Norwich are in

I agree with this, Timm certainly wouldn’t be first choice and would probably want a decent wage, time to say thanks and goodbye

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nobody thought Ryan Bennett was a PL centre back but he's had a great season with Wolves. I think Zimbo is a better version and he just keeps getting better.

• Like 6