Bill

Lambert off ?

29 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Are you suggesting that those who recognize rivalries aren't supporters? Becoming a supporter of any Team brings with it an identity, I've yet to meet a Blades fan who supports Wednesday as well, or West Ham fan who pops over to Tottenham when his Team are away. This is merely banter and to come over all precious is at best attention seeking, if we have to explain why we're enjoying their pain, I'm wondering if you understand football at all.

I’m out of likes for today, have this instead  👍  

• Thanks 1

The identity associated with supporting a football team isn't fixed and is up to the individual to define.  Don't pretend it's a given.

Equally, whenever I hear the word 'banter' I imagine an apologist for something that would otherwise be reprehensible.

I like to think I understand football but if that means you've got to be an immature pr*t then obviously I'm happy to be outside the intelligentsia.

I can remember being 12/13 and being genuinely pleased for the region that John Lyall's Ipswich had gotten promoted. Then they were a bunch of **** and I've hated them ever since 😛

I would like to put my size 9's in on this debate about being a fan, banter and "hating" Ipswich.

Agree with you Wooster, that you don't have to hate the one to support the other. It may not be something you completely grasp as it is outside your frame of reference. That is fine and nobody should denigrate you for such views. That door, however, swings both ways.

I love the schadenfreude right now. Those trumped up little farts being relegated. It's funny. It's is (or should be) done "tongue-in-cheek". Do I like seeing Ipswich fail? Yep!  Do I want Ipswich to fail that badly they no longer become relevant? Well...no, because matches against them are so important to my overall enjoyment, and I do miss them when we don't play them. 

I do hope they come back up reasonably quickly, if only because derby games are so much fun. Who wouldn't love Farkewink 2.0? It, for me, adds to the experience. I love it. But totally get that not everyone does. It makes you no more or less of a supporter than anyone on here.

Perhaps a little tolerance from both sides here.

Edited by CanaryChris

2 hours ago, wooster said:

The identity associated with supporting a football team isn't fixed and is up to the individual to define.  Don't pretend it's a given.

Equally, whenever I hear the word 'banter' I imagine an apologist for something that would otherwise be reprehensible.

I like to think I understand football but if that means you've got to be an immature pr*t then obviously I'm happy to be outside the intelligentsia.

If you support a Team, you want to see them win, you buy a shirt or a scarf in the Team's colours, you learn the words to the song and are aware of your local rivals, it's also likely that you're aware of their history, that is your identity. 

Banter is no more than verbal agility, to able to debate, armed with an opinion that you can support with facts. Nothing 'reprehensible' about it, just a bit of fun. 

As for the final insult, I'll leave that with you, clearly opinion or banter without insult isn't what you do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanaryChris said:

I would like to put my size 9's in on this debate about being a fan, banter and "hating" Ipswich.

Agree with you Wooster, that you don't have to hate the one to support the other. It may not be something you completely grasp as it is outside your frame of reference. That is fine and nobody should denigrate you for such views. That door, however, swings both ways.

I love the schadenfreude right now. Those trumped up little farts being relegated. It's funny. It's is (or should be) done "tongue-in-cheek". Do I like seeing Ipswich fail? Yep!  Do I want Ipswich to fail that badly they no longer become relevant? Well...no, because matches against them are so important to my overall enjoyment, and I do miss them when we don't play them. 

I do hope they come back up reasonably quickly, if only because derby games are so much fun. Who wouldn't love Farkewink 2.0? It, for me, adds to the experience. I love it. But totally get that not everyone does. It makes you no more or less of a supporter than anyone on here.

Perhaps a little tolerance from both sides here.

Agree with most of this Chris, haven't read back through but I don't think that I used the word 'hate' no one's condoning that. 

However, making fun out of their misery is just that, fun. If that's immature or reprehensible, guilty as charged.... but I'm not the only one  😁

• Like 1

As sure as bad sweat emanating from my pores in a sauna these 'holier than though' posters always seem to appear whenever there are postings related to ITFC (who just happen to be our main rivals going back decades.)

Strange that they are nowhere to be seen when page after page of our forum is either infested with petty, self-indulgent argument, insults and general bad form or irrelevant, misplaced and non NCFC topics that go back years and are far more self-indulgent than anything expressing amusement at the current malaise down the road.

Peddling insults (in this particular case it is "immature prat" emanating from our resident member of Mensa) seems to be a common factor now though.

There is, by definition a lot of nonsense posted on any football forum at any time, yet this they largely ignore.

Any mention of Ipswich Town Football Club and there they are having jumped astride their little pedestal, having assumed their mantle of superiority and having prepared themselves for their default 'preacher' stance, blithely telling others what they should or should not do.

I enjoy the rivalry, the banter, the shadenfreude and the insults to the full. It is very much part of the pleasure I get from supporting Norwich City. I therefore resent any jumped up, anonomity of a self-important individual, who appears to like the sound of his own keyboard telling me how I should, or should not get my fun in the life, and then throwing in blanket, second hand insults towards those who fail to adhere to his creed.

It's not as if the 'binner' threads are not well-labelled.They are easily avoided if they offend, or is it really just a need to put others right due to that misplaced view, usually associated with the great unwashed, educationally limited or political elite in our society, that any thought that emanates from their cranial area is automatically the correct one.

• Like 2

Living deep in binner land and after taking so much bull **** when we went down to League One, I can’t wait for the relegation party

21 hours ago, Herman said:

As I said, I completely disagree with Wooster on his stance and this is precisely the reason why. No class, no pity.

Top post👍

The point that Wooster was making, and that you and THB are missing, Herman, is that Lambert didn't suddenly change when he left us for Villa. Lambert is Lambert and was no different when he managed us (and if you want to know how "respectful, classy and humble" he was prior to that, try asking Colchester fans). What HAS changed is that the fans now vilifying him were totally unconcerned about how "respectful, classy or humble" he was as our manager, simply because he brought us success. When Lambert jumped ship to Carrow Road, many on here were gloating at getting one over Colchester, the "triumph" being -- yes, getting that classless, bigheaded, respect-lacking individual to jump ship and take over our team.

• Like 1