Midlands Yellow

When did your love begin ?

Remember being on my old man's shoulders at the Birmingham relegation match in 72 or 73 at St Andrews, my first match.... we lost but it didn't mean much then.... would do now.... 

Received my first kit in 1974 which came in a red presentation box - wish I'd kept it in there!    

Nearly 50 years a glory hunter... OTBC.

• Like 1

Interesting picture SC.

I was looking at the old open River End, where I believe I stood (on a crate) for my very first game and noted the simplicity of the construction and the fact that, especially by comparison with the new billion pounds Tottenham stadium it must have be quite cheap to erect.

Construct a mound. Scrounge some old railway sleepers from British Rail for steps one side and terracing the other. Put in metal barriers and there you go. Slip Jewson £200 and job done.

With all those steel girders in the roofing the old South Stand was never a pretty sight, although it still held the weight of a few hundred Sunderland supporters cheering Charlie Hurley's winning goal, I seem to remember.

As a fire hazard that old wooden main stand wouldn't have been allowed today. It's a wonder anybody over sixty even still walks this planet with the total absence of health and safety legislation then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

As a fire hazard that old wooden main stand wouldn't have been allowed today. It's a wonder anybody over sixty even still walks this planet with the total absence of health and safety legislation then.

Most of them would have been smoking at the game then too!

For me it would have been around 1974/5 (I'm 51). My dad was the head gateman and we used to go with him, hang around the ground for a couple of hours and get in for nothing.  I can remember one of my first games v Arsenal I think, an evening game, where the fog hung around the ground and I watched it sitting on the bar of the floodlight between the Barclay and Main Stand.  Once all the gatemen had cashed up, they would find a seat in the main stand in what's now the Snakepit area to watch the game.

I later worked in the Executive Lounge and the player's tunnel when I was 14 or 15 I guess.  One brilliant memory is when Liverpool came and Grobbelaar signed my programme and drew a moustache and glasses on Dalglish's picture in the programme!  Brian Clough shook my hand after Forest beat us one time too (I congratulated him and he replied 'Thank you, young Man').

• Like 1

Just 30 months ago!! Having moved to Norwich from watching non league football. From 300 fans to 26000 is just amazing not to mention the quality of football. Didn't take me long to love my new club, and I am totally hooked. 

• Like 2

Mine started in 98/99 season when I was 7, my grandad took me to a home game vs Bolton which finished 2-2, 20/4/99. Loved it so much my parents got me a season ticket. Unfortunately my grandad doesn't go anymore and nor do I due to work and family commitments. My grandad even saved me programmes from the late 80s!!

2 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Just 30 months ago!! Having moved to Norwich from watching non league football. From 300 fans to 26000 is just amazing not to mention the quality of football. Didn't take me long to love my new club, and I am totally hooked. 

Fair play Harry and a belated welcome to the Canary fold . :classic_biggrin:

Mine started in the late sixties. My dad wasn't that well so didn't go to that many matches and always apppreciated his efforts to get me to a match and it was enough to get me hooked - and never saw us lose!  My sister and her boyfriend took me to a few after that and the first season I started going on my own regularly was the unforgettable 1972-72 season.  From then it has like being on a roller coaster of football - a roller coaster that you can't get off!