Midlands Yellow

When did your love begin ?

Probably a gradual process over a number of years from around 1980 to 1984, when I was around 8 to 12. My dad took me and at first it didn't seem anything special but then I grew to love it and the club, what with friends at school getting more into football too (Mostly Norwich or the glory-hunter Liverpool fans. Didn't know a Chelsea fan until I was 21 !)

... I'm quite sure I was at the Norwich Liverpool match where Fashanu scored that epic goal.

Edited by K Lo

Mine started in 1963 and has continued to this day although it has been tested once or twice but unlike some i did not hand my season ticket in during last summer.

Early 70’s. How could you not fall in love with a team that scrambled into the top division, lost two cup finals, survived and succumbed to relegation and got promoted again, all the while wondering when someone was coming for your best player or manager - as they did, and often. 

Edited by Surfer

"Jimmy Neighbour on the Wing", did it for a 7 year old me along with his number that I stole until my knees said no! When he signed my programme, that was it, locked. (as if I had a choice?!) 

That World Cup winner was quite a pull for a young lad too...I thought we'd won the world Cup because we had him regardless of the fact it was 11 years earlier. I made him sign the space under John Bond's photo that brought joy to all around us at that sunny summer Catton fete. 

Then came Boyer, Reeves, Fash, Bruce, and all the others in between, but the time it really clicked with Fleck, Woods, Bowen and co' as a late teenager when I could convince my South London pal to come up on that long journey with me... 10 years after I'd left. 

I think it's character building although I can't join in on the "we hate cockneys" songs over the years... I'll just chip in with a wry smile. 

Some lovely ol ghosts in that Barclay. X

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

When Ron Saunders nicked my pen after signing my autograph book at the Trowse training ground in 1972.......

That sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome 😛

• Like 1

In 93-94 when I was 9 / 10. I remember watching the Bayern game in the Heartsease Pub with my dad shouting "that's in" from Goss a good second or two before it actually hit the net and then everyone going mental. All of the dads at the bar and the kids in front of the screen. From then on, I was hooked.

Desperately trying to convince all of my kids (girls and boys) to follow the yellow, despite living 'oop north'. Succeeded with the oldest boy (6)  but that may be partly to do with the awesome football we've been playing this season in his first full season of interest. If we had been like last season, I think I may have struggled.

Summer of 1970, we moved to London, before that I was football mad but with no dad around had no influences. Once I started school I realized that there was only one Team that I should be supporting. I didn't know the players or even which Division we were in. I didn't get to see a game until 75 when Geoff Butler scored at Millwall. 

I became known by my mates as 'Norwich' and I remember going to Highbury in the late 70s v. West Ham,  got separated from my mates in the North Bank, one of them spotted me, shouted Norwich! and nearly caused a riot. Fun times. 

• Like 1

March 1968. We beat Bristol City 3-2. Hugh Curran, John Manning, Tommy Bryceland and Kevin Keelan stick in my mind. 

I arrived just before Ron Saunders turned up and changed the club forever 

1974 FA Cup game against Arsenal. Went with my Dad, who never took me again (that's another story), so I had to wait.  Remember being envious of an older neighbour coming back from games (especially remember the Aston Villa 5-3 game, and hearing about Ted MacDougall, and what a game that was) My Mum took me to my next game (with a City supporting friend, but because she heard a lot of racist abuse to one of the opposition players (John Chiedoze - Orient) she was disgusted (actually, at her dear old age, she remembered that only the other day) and vowed never to go again!

Despite all that, I persevered and was hooked. I went to the odd game, with our City supporting neighbour, but  It may have been written in the stars, as we moved house, right opposite 4 brothers who were big City fans so  was allowed to go with them a lot more

First away game (Brighton - Goldstone Ground - won 4-2 - went on train which got hit by another train at the station - Brighton fans wanting to have a 'conversation' after the game, trying to get to us at the station - anyone else on/remember that?) felt an awesome experience and took my enthusiasm to another level.

Edited by Crabbycanary3

First went in 1967 as a ten year old with my mate of the same age for a couple of games. No adults! Not sure my parents even knew we went.

Went full time in '72 with my dad when we first went up under Saunders. My old boy still goes 🙃

From the day I was born. It was in my blood and passed down through two generations. I was wearing a yellow and green scarf when I emerged from my mother's womb. My father, who was not present at the birth because there was a game at Carrow Road, instilled it into before breakfast, lunch and evening meal. No prayers for any of us just an old fashioned chorus of OTBC, sung from the heart,before each meal.

No choice really, and I would never have wished it otherwise.

Call yourself Canaries, Huh! Nothing but a bunch of arrivistes.

14 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Around 1966-1967 for me with mates and my hero was Hugh Curran.

The right winger?

8 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I remember watching the Bayern game in the Heartsease Pub 

Ah, the heartsease pub 😁

It’s a bit hazy for me due to age. I remember travelling from RAF Stanton Morley with my father and watching the game from The River End. Sandy Kennon was in goal. As I got older I progressed to The Barclay. In an effort to prevent me becoming a hooligan, he bought us season tickets in The City Stand. It was ironic that warning notices were posted due to cushions being thrown on the pitch from said stand. 

I so wish I knew the date (or even the year) of my first game I went to. All I can recall is that I stood on a stool my dad made in the South Stand, it was very sunny, we won and Hugh Curran and Clive Payne were playing. I'm thinking 1969 /1970 but I may be wrong. I do though recall a lot of our big promotion season and the bus from Lynn to Norwich and the songs as a young lad.

Midway through the 1980/81 season ,John Bond left for Man City and Ken Brown took over... signed Chris Woods,Martin O'Neill,Steve Walford in an attempt to stave off relegation.....got relegated at the end of that season after losing 3-2 at carrow road to already relegated Leicester on the last day....then sold our best player and my first hero Justin Fashanu that summer.

Relegation and selling our best player gave me a good grounding and set me up for what was to come.

Promotion the following year in 81/82 set the pattern that good soon follows bad and vice versa at this club for the subsequent 40 years

August 1992 v Everton. I wasn't that into Football but I was dragged along because my friend was mascot. We went 1-0 down and a six year old me starting moaning saying I wanted to go home. Then Ruel Fox equalised shortly after and the feeling of celebrating a goal had me hooked. After the cheering died down my old man turned to me and said, "do you still want to go home?!“ to which my answer was a resounding, "No!“. 

Started taking notice 1956 when my Uncle signed on for them and was playing for City B in whatever the Anglian Combination was called then.

My first game was 1960, first game back in the old 2nd Division. A 1-1 draw with Sheffield United (excuse me while I cough and spit) then a Wednesday fixture when we gave Charlton a 4-0 hammering. No turning back then, completely smitten.

3rd March 1973- We lost 1-0 at Wembley in League Cup Final when Spurs' winger Ralph Coates scored from edge of box past Keelan's outstretched hand  - in these subsequent 46 years there have been some highs and lows since!  (some lows when football didn't matter like the trip home from Villa Park when lost 1-0 to Everton in FA Cup semi-final only to hear what had happened at Hillsborough that afternoon....)  This season has been fantastic!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

3rd March 1973- We lost 1-0 at Wembley in League Cup Final when Spurs' winger Ralph Coates scored from edge of box past Keelan's outstretched hand  

Going by your name,  it seems like you haven't got over it yet. 😁

• Haha 1

1957 v Bradford (can't remember if it was City or Park Avenue as I think they had 2 clubs in those days) and we won 4-1 if memory serves me.My dad took me for my first ever game and Matt Crowe,Roy McCrohan were playing.

2002 and it was in the most Norwich fashion possible! A 3-0 loss to Cheltenham in the League Cup I believe in which Rob Green handled a back pass, still remember that moment extremely well for whatever reason! 

Mid 70s for me V Luton in the cup . 2.0 win and got lost following my father back to the seats at half time . 

Watched the 2nd half in the press box before I was collected at full time . Which stand would that have been ? 

Age of 5 1969 went every home game , got to riverend at 1pm, got to front with milk grate there I stood until 4.50pm , desperate not to need the loo. Went down hill the next year at the age of 6 , still went to the city, but every other week, my 12 year old brother ( Ipswich scumbag) would take me on the train to watch the scum and do the same thing there (too young to complain, not so sure a 6 and 12 year old would be allowed to go all the way to Ipswich on there own today!!!) As a teenager I definitely needed therapy to shake me off that traumatic experience during my early years. Seriously I do have some good memories of watching some superstars in those Portman road visits - watching cruff and naskins for Barcelona , even Tyson and Muran. But in reality that early experience only made me a more avid city and more anti scum, which I remain today!!!