Yes. I was just going to post this myself  'til I saw your posting.

Onel is turning into a slightly unsung hero what with the exploits of our full-backs, Buendia and others recently but we have, for sure another good 'un there who fully justifies the automatic  place in the starting eleven he currently gets.

Another from humble beginnings discovered by our 'team,' with Daniel  Farke rightly getting full credit for his signing this time around.

He seems a really nice guy and like you said is a bit of an unsung hero. Always seems happy to be playing and here, perfect.

He could be ‘back in Cuba playing with the birds’ - sounds alright to me!!!

• Haha 1

That Onel article was like a trip down memory lane for me. I was stationed in Soest in the early eighties, before the Falklands. Gutersloh, Bielefeld, lippstadt , Paderborn and Dortmund were our local teams. The only ' local' team we didn't enjoy watching was Shalke 04 as our cars were vandalized there and we were threatened and abused in the ground. The other teams I named were very welcoming and enjoyed the fact that we loved the football... whatever the team. Watching 22 men kicking around a bag of wind ....now that is heaven.

I have a friend who is currently travelling in Cuba and he told me he’s seen a few Norwich shirts around.

If Norwich make the Premier League I can see Cuba embracing football and hopefully he’ll be allowed to represent the national team (although all those trips out to the Americas probably won’t make the coaching staff to happy). 

Really interesting to hear a bit more about his background, always find footballers with a different route into the game more intriguing.  

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Watching 22 men kicking around a bag of wind ....now that is heaven.

Pretty good description of most threads on this forum! Not sure about the "heaven" bit though :classic_biggrin:

Onel comes over as such an engaging character; great story and hopefully a dream soon realised.

23 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Pretty good description of most threads on this forum! Not sure about the "heaven" bit though :classic_biggrin:

Onel comes over as such an engaging character; great story and hopefully a dream soon realised.

Heaven for me used to be playing, but am in my late fifties now, gave up playing in an over 30s league at 51. Am proudest of winning an u30s tournament at 42..... the losers complained I shouldn't be playing cos of my age,  a bit like Ipswich complaining that it was unfair to play us when we had parachute payments....a drowning team will clutch at any straw. 

Westo.....   Wouldn't 22 bags of wind kicking around a  player ( pick any of Tim krul, Russ,even steeps last season) be more of an apt description of this forum?

Agree though that his story is an interesting one, surely they enter a footy team into the Olympics ....will have to check on that. I always used to cheer on the Cuban boxers since I saw a peice on how they were amazed at the quality and variety of food available at the games, those boys were tough, as it seems is Onel.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

A good read, always interested in the background of players, the culture they came from and how they got into the game.

This just reinforces how important the link between Farke and the players in the squad is, particularly those like Onel.

Another player who has improved massively from the player that arrived. Will he be good enough for the prem (finger crossed)? Can he improve further or has he reached his ceiling?

9 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Quality finish today. 👌

Yes you could say he collected😉

Well now I really want Cuba to sort their **** out! Hernandez is about to make a little bit of history. Surely they can't blank him if that happens. I wonder how the locals will react to seeing one of their own playing in the highest profile league in world football.

Update - I put greatest league then removed it because I think the Championship is more entertaining

Edited by Michael Starr

17 hours ago, sonyc said:

Yes you could say he collected😉

kick and collect?

• Like 1