BroadstairsR

Does Huddersfield's

pathetic showing in the Premier League have any relevance to NCFC if we get promoted?

It is widely stated on here that we should not ever again get involved in expensive signings.

Think Wolfswinkle and Naismith, but double it nowadays. Think prima donas on  indigestible wages donning the yellow at Carrow Road.

The Terriers have a manager who is proven to be up to it, but without serious spending he is leading them into Premier League humiliation.

Will Farke's  squad be capable of more or do we have to digest the high cost, silly wages that seem to be the norm for PL survival?

Are we unique or will we be Premier League fodder?

Being a yo-yo club is never so bad after all. We benefit  from all the accolade of being a team at the top table, including tv money and exposure. We get parachute money to keep us solvent should we fail.

I would prefer this to Championship stagnation, but should we splash out and aspire to more?

You can’t really blame Hudds current manager, they were on the way before he took over - it’ll be interesting to see what happens with them next season. 

Their issue does seem to be that perhaps they didn’t quite do their homework in players coming in, as they don’t quite seem to have been up to it....but I think you do need a fair degree of luck when picking up new players, particularly from abroad.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Each time in recent memory we've gone the "spend big" route it's smacked us in the ****. I'd prefer to see us double-down on the current strategy, seek out talented youth and foreign players with a point to prove and integrate them into the team and bring them into Farke's way of playing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are a very different team to the Huddersfield team that got promoted. We don't need to splash out on a lot of players. Stuart Webber said we wouldn't be making wholesale changes.

If (hopefully when) we do go up, I hope we don't panic and demand Farke's resignation when we get a few defeats.  A bit of patience is needed. We're not going to be able to cope with the billionaire clubs, and our destiny next season will be defined by games against the lesser clubs and the occasional surprise result against the so called big boys.

• Like 2

Can't we just take the money and stay in the championship, win it again next season by then we might have enough dosh to  buy in improvements to what we have.😋.

Seriously though, given the exponential rise in price as against quality, I believe we should not spend much at all. 

• Like 1

The club's objective, according to DF in a recent interview, is to become "a fixture" among England's top 25 clubs. That is what we all need to buy into, not the far less realistic aim of becoming "established in the EPL". In DF's words, becoming established among England's top 25 clubs means seasons in the EPL and seasons in the Championship but, when in the Championship, always being in a position to mount a realistic challenge for promotion. That's NCFC's interpretation of "yo-yo club" and a perfectly sensible and attainable goal to adopt. My only comment would be to ask why it has taken so long for our club and supporters to adopt it, when Robert Chase forecast exactly that future for us twenty three years ago.

Edited by westcoastcanary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing that we had spent more time in the top division prior to chase saying that, not that I recall him saying it at all, also the vast financial differences were nowhere near what they are now in the 80/90s even at the formation of the premiership. So I would have been reluctant to accept being a yoyo club back on those days, especially in light of the clubs highest ever league positions and fa cup semi finals etc.

One of Huddersfield's main issues, I would imagine, is that Webber had left before they got to the Prem. I believe they were quite close to it at the time but his recruitment skills would have been missed and perhaps we picked up some gems they were looking at, even.

Although many of us (myself included) have likened our potential in the Prem to that of Huddersfield's, we've seen a sharp decline in their fortunes and they haven't been able to keep up the excellent work from their first season in the big league.

I am thinking our smart recruitment, coupled with the passion of our academy players and current crop will be a big bonus for us when (if) we go up. Farke plays a different style of football to Wagner (we've seen more of that now compared to last season) and I am quite certain, if we try and stick to our attacking principles and possesion game, we could be a surprise package.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Although many of us (myself included) have likened our potential in the Prem to that of Huddersfield's,

Our potential is much greater than Huddersfield's. Our attendances are much bigger and our revenue in the championship much higher. We will be able to spend more than they did, if we wish, without threatening our financial stability.

If we go up, we must avoid the temptation to "go for it" and instead upgrade the squad in such a way that we don't find that we have to make deep cuts if relegated.

"You can’t really blame Hudds current manager, they were on the way before he took over - it’ll be interesting to see what happens with them next season."

I had missed out on the fact that Wagner had been replaced BP as I was abroad.

However, the writing was on the wall and and, as has been posted, I would hope that we would not be over hasty with regards Farke should things go wrong.

(Especially as they had survived the critical first season up there.)

20 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I would hope that we would not be over hasty with regards Farke should things go wrong.

Unfortunately I think the “ get it forward” brigade will soon make their feelings known

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"You can’t really blame Hudds current manager, they were on the way before he took over - it’ll be interesting to see what happens with them next season."

I had missed out on the fact that Wagner had been replaced BP as I was abroad.

However, the writing was on the wall and and, as has been posted, I would hope that we would not be over hasty with regards Farke should things go wrong.

(Especially as they had survived the critical first season up there.)

Wagner always intended to leave Huddesfield at the end of the season, he moved the date forward himself. The club wanted him to see out the season. 

I'd imagine we'll be looking at a similar profile to Huddersfield- if you look at their larger transfers this season, all of the players have been under 25, meaning their is a solid chance of good resale value.

Teams like us need to invest in younger players with lower wages whose value has the potential to increase (Hughton did do this quite well with Fer, Redmond and Olsson), rather than on 'finished article' type players such as Naismith, Jarvis or even Klose.

The hope is you hit with players like David Brooks at Bournemouth (who must be worth over £30m by now) but if you don't the contracts don't kill you down the line.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wagner always intended to leave Huddesfield at the end of the season, he moved the date forward himself. The club wanted him to see out the season. 

Probably not a widely shared opinion but I'm not convinced Wagner is really all that.

His promotion had more than its share of luck (getting promoted with a negative goal difference is unlikely to happen that often) and based on grinding out 1-0 wins. Staying up was a huge achievement but they failed to score in over 50% of their games and this season being unable to actually score goals finally caught up with them.

Statistically he's a fancy Tony Pulis.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Probably not a widely shared opinion but I'm not convinced Wagner is really all that.

His promotion had more than its share of luck (getting promoted with a negative goal difference is unlikely to happen that often) and based on grinding out 1-0 wins. Staying up was a huge achievement but they failed to score in over 50% of their games and this season being unable to actually score goals finally caught up with them.

Statistically he's a fancy Tony Pulis.

I don’t think he’s the genius he is sometimes portrayed as - he seems a good coach but potentially quite one dimensional. 

Will be interesting to see how he does in his next job 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don’t think he’s the genius he is sometimes portrayed as - he seems a good coach but potentially quite one dimensional. 

Will be interesting to see how he does in his next job 

Yeah- I was intrigued to see an awful lot of people linking him with Leicester or similar jobs when I'm not sure he's done enough to deserve that. His Huddersfield team will be the lowest scorers in the league two years in a row it seems, surely you'd want to see he can address that issue?

In the light of comments above and having just picked this up on the Mail online,perhaps  any comparison with Huddersfield should stop at  just the German connection:

"Huddersfield could be relegated from the Premier League this weekend should they lose against Crystal Palace and results go against them.

If Jan Siewert's doomed side lose away at Palace and Burnley and Southampton both beat Wolves and Brighton, they would be relegated.

They would become only the second team in the Premier League era to be relegated before the end of March, surviving just one day longer than Derby in 2007-08 and equalling their unwanted record of relegation after 32 games."  

Of course the Webber input needs consideration, along with the fact that our massive support and several other factors should be taken into account when concluding that there is little to compare the clubs..

Forget Hudders, how about Fulham who I believe have spent a lot?

Fulham? Our Nemesis at times. Will we finally get the better of them?

(I do regret their relegation though as it has often been my favourite away game, and others as well I sense.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

Maybe we have to be aware that other clubs are circling around our ground looking at our home grown first teamers and reckoning they could get them for a comparative song.

We may well have to sell them but there is no guarantee the academy can keep producing.

So we may well end up like Huddersfield. I don't envisage the model changing much. We will have to be as self funding as possible and hope that we can stay for more than one season in the Prem. I am not sure we can look much further than a couple of seasons without breaking the bank. And I doubt even the most ambitious supporter doesn't want that.

26 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

....there is no guarantee the academy can keep producing.

So we may well end up like Huddersfield.

Except Huddersfield downgraded their academy from Cat 2 to Cat 4.

https://www.htafc.com/teams/

Conversely, we maintain Cat 1.

Apparently one of the reasons Webber decided to leave them and join us.

Edited by lappinitup

In some ways our most obvious comparison might be Southampton.

After promotion they consistently produced academy products who were sold for good money (Luke Shaw, Callum Chambers, Adam Lallana) and invested in well scouted younger players whose value increased over a season or two (Van Dijk, Mane, Wanyama, Lovren). However it is extremely difficult to sustain this though as it relies on a constant stream of talented youngsters (they still have some but none of the talent/sale-ability of Shaw) and hitting on most of your transfer targets (Mane and Van Dijk have become Gabbiadini and Vestergaard who have been nowhere near as good).

The margin for error is always pretty minimal for clubs such as this.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Unfortunately I think the “ get it forward” brigade will soon make their feelings known

This, we have as many fickle fans as any other Club in the Country.  DF/SW have outlined the plan going forward and most are on board, until we stop winning, the moment we lose or sell a player, it's all doom and gloom. Sack the Board, Delia, Webber, the list goes on. It's been happening at regular intervals for the 50 years I've been following Norwich and I don't expect it to change. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

This, we have as many fickle fans as any other Club in the Country.  DF/SW have outlined the plan going forward and most are on board, until we stop winning, the moment we lose or sell a player, it's all doom and gloom. Sack the Board, Delia, Webber, the list goes on. It's been happening at regular intervals for the 50 years I've been following Norwich and I don't expect it to change. 

Completely agree - as soon as there are a couple of defeats, the knives will be out.

Even a misplaced goal kick and subsequent punt up field brought sarcastic cheers from the uninitiated in the River End recently.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Never mind fickle Canary fans as a whole, I'd love to see your list of fickle Pinkun posters SR (I mean just to see if it coincides with mine) 😋 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Never mind fickle Canary fans as a whole, I'd love to see your list of fickle Pinkun posters SR (I mean just to see if it coincides with mine) 😋 

At least fickle posters are positive some of the time.

I'm fickle and I consider it my right as a supporter of NCFC.

It's human nature.

I seem to remember that I gave Farke ten games to get it right into this season.

How right or wrong was I?

Nothing wrong with being 'fickle' in a results driven environment.

Fortunately my 'fickle 'disposition has no impact on the running of our club. 

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nothing wrong with being 'fickle' in a results driven environment.

Fortunately my 'fickle 'disposition has no impact on the running of our club. 

It does become a problem when fickle fans are sarcastically cheering the keeper and shouting “ just get it forward”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

It does become a problem when fickle fans are sarcastically cheering the keeper and shouting “ just get it forward”. 

Agree.