Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Brexit and “ foreign “ players

If this ever goes through  where does it leave us with signing some more players from EU countries ? Will they need a work permit, these are usually only given to international players. Presumably messrs Zimmermann, Hernandez and Buendia etc would be out of reach ?

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

If this ever goes through  where does it leave us with signing some more players from EU countries ? Will they need a work permit, these are usually only given to international players. Presumably messrs Zimmermann, Hernandez and Buendia etc would be out of reach ?

As I understand it, if the UK leaves the EU then players from the remaining 27 countries (and those such as Norway in the European Economic Area) will need to qualify for work permits. I am not au fait with the rules for work permits but I believe they can be pretty tough.

I think it would be hard for football to argue for a dispensation for the rules not to apply when vastly more important industries were having to obey them. Of course that would not stop football arguing the case....

As Bethnal has pointed out, that above applies immediately  in the case of a No-Deal Brexit but not if there is a deal with a transition period, during which  freedom of movement would still apply.

Edited by PurpleCanary

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

As I understand it, if the UK leaves the EU then players from the remaining 27 countries (and those such as Norway in the European Economic Area) will need to qualify for work permits. I am not au fait with the rules for work permits but I believe they can be pretty tough.

I think it would be hard for football to argue for a dispensation for the rules not to apply when vastly more important industries were having to obey them. Of course that would not stop football arguing the case....

No more German 2nd division players then

They'll get temp entertainment visas or something whatever happens. Too much tax to take from footballers and the leagues to stop it.

• Like 1

It’s all a bit hazy what will happen. 

If the deal is agreed, their is a transitional period until the end of 2020 and EU players will be able to still enjoy freedom of movement to the UK and thus won’t need a work permit. 

If it is no-deal then it will be up to the FA and the Home Office what happens. The default position will be that all players that don’t hold an British or Irish passport will require a work permit. Currently the Home Office will give a work permit to any professional player, who earns over £42,000 a year if they obtain a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE), from the the FA. The FA current run a points based system to determine whether a player qualifies for the GBE. Points are awarded based on a set of criteria that takes international apperances, wages and transfer fee into account. If the FA don’t change their criteria then the amount of overseas players coming into the UK will dry up dramatically, the BBC did a study that found that over 300 players in the Premier League, Championship and SPL who signed on EU passports would not get a work permit. 

How the FA react to a no-deal scenario will be interesting, they have been trying to crack down on overseas players and may see this as a good way to do so, although the Premier League will be furiously trying to get them to be more lenient. 

The Government have said that EU citizens that are currently in the UK will have their rights protected, so that means players currently playing here won’t need to get a work permit to stay. 

The summee transfer window could be insane, the shorter period that was brought in last year combined with clubs being unable to bring in the majority of European players will drive up the price of all UK players. People like Max Aarons could suddenly become worth £30m and command huge wages. It could be a very tough situation for Norwich as they will likely lose the ability to recruit smartly from Europe, which they have done excellently recently. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If measures are brought in as a result of Brexit, it will benefit the Big Clubs as usual. Prices will go up for imports, as only established players will be allowed in. There will be no opportunity for a Buendia type signing and the shortfall will be made up of English players who will also come at a premium. The standard would fall away over time and the National Team would go back to the 70s. 

7 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

If measures are brought in as a result of Brexit, it will benefit the Big Clubs as usual. Prices will go up for imports, as only established players will be allowed in. There will be no opportunity for a Buendia type signing and the shortfall will be made up of English players who will also come at a premium. The standard would fall away over time and the National Team would go back to the 70s. 

Or more young British players will get more opportunities to play in our leagues. There is talent out there and they are good enough. And with more coming through maybe the price will come down. 

None of the above should imply I'm pro-Brexit. 

The current NCFC model would not have happened and will no longer work without freedom of movement so brexit is a bad thing if you want Norwich to do well as the German connections are critical to our current success  

i agree that overseas players did restrict UK players but now it has benefitted as the standard of UK players had to be improved to compete with overseas players. The standard of football and the premier league benefits from freedom of movement

i get the anti freedom of movement argument though as i have EU27 ID and my main competitor is the UK so if they are no longer able to work in EU27 because of Brexit it is great for me personally but not good for NCFC. 

I'm more concerned with the thought that a piano could fall out of the sky and hit one (or two) of our players

.....it could happen,

I think

23 hours ago, splendidrush said:

back to the 70s. 

23 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sounds like brexit to me.

Surely you mean the 50s?

The 1850s in Rees-Mogg’s case.

Edited by Nuff Said
Punctuation!
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

But on the plus side, our British players price will go through the roof !

Back to the 1980s. Big clubs get their player, small clubs don't. Remember City trying to sign a young New Zeelander Wynton Rufer who went on to have a great career in Germany & Switzerland, whereas Arsenal were trying to sign an over the hill Yugoslav winger . No one need guess which was approved & which rejected