13 hours ago, splendidrush said:

And yet, as things stand, we,as supporters don't want to see any of them go. Is there an argument that our DM's leave them exposed, or that Farke's tactics, encouraging our full backs to get forward leaves us short at the back? Genuine question, as I don't get to see enough to make a qualified decision. 

Sounds silly but there's more to being a defender nowadays than stopping the other team from scoring. So many of our attacks and goals come from the full backs pushing on and the center halves bringing the ball out allowing the midfield to get into more advanced positions. That's not to say they can't defend but we do have a system that takes risks at the back sometimes in an attempt to score more than we let in.

On top of that is the clear potential of what is a very young group to improve further.

16 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Fair point Nuff, but if he went to Man Utd and had a career ending injury in his first game... ? 

That’s my point. If it happens once he’s signed a three year, or longer, contract with Man U he still gets paid for the length of the contract and can probably live off that for the rest of his life. As happened for us with Jarvis. If it happens here, he will have to look for alternative employment.

15 hours ago, splendidrush said:

And yet, as things stand, we,as supporters don't want to see any of them go. Is there an argument that our DM's leave them exposed, or that Farke's tactics, encouraging our full backs to get forward leaves us short at the back? Genuine question, as I don't get to see enough to make a qualified decision. 

I agree, they are three of the best academy prospects we've ever had and have come into the first team broadly at the same time.  No one's questioning the tactics of them charging forward from LB and RB while we are still winning games, but if we start to lose a few or stop scoring, there'll soon be a few questions.

On 27/03/2019 at 21:02, splendidrush said:

I think it’s probably more to do with the tactics than the midfielders themselves.

What you’ll often see at bigger clubs when they have one (or both) of the wing backs bombing forward regularly is that you’ll have a midfielder who is comfortable dropping back and effectively becoming a third centre half. Fernandinho at Man City, Dier at Spurs, Busquets at Barca, Fabinho to an extent at Liverpool, De Rossi at Roma. They will usually have one player whose first thought is to drop backwards into defence.

Our holding midfielders both tend to push to close down rather than one dropping into the back line. Probably because none of our midfielders have the positional sense to slot into a back line. Godfrey, having played in both positions, could perhaps do that. Him dropping deeper with Trybull (or Tettey) doing the pressing could be effective and give us that extra bit of cover. In some ways, I think if we go up that might be his better position - although he’s been good at centre half this year, I think he might get caught out a bit too often in the prem.

As for ten million - if we go up, no chance we sell for that. If we stay down though, it wouldn’t need to go up much more before I think we’d be considering it quite seriously. 

• Like 1

Spot on Aggy. I suspect we'll be looking for an upgrade on Tettey / Trybull as a priority for next year.

Edited by Surfer

The Rio Ferdinand point was, that at the World Cup we played three central defenders who were comfortable on the ball. Which made it difficult for the opposition to close them down, as opposed to having one (Rio). It's a criteria for the modern centre back to be able to come out of defence with the ball.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 00:29, Icecream Snow said:

The Rio Ferdinand point was, that at the World Cup we played three central defenders who were comfortable on the ball. Which made it difficult for the opposition to close them down, as opposed to having one (Rio). It's a criteria for the modern centre back to be able to come out of defence with the ball.

Footballers should be good at football shocker. Nothing against your message but the old model of the Terry Butcher putting his broken body on the line for the English game is very out dated. Give me a Moore over a Charlton and a Ferdinand (Rio!) over a Terry every day. Godfrey should stay centre back and not moved to midfield. All players should be comfortable on the ball.

9 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

All players should be comfortable on the ball.

Have you ever wondered what they do all week? Goalkeepers who can only kick with one foot, free kicks that hit the wall or sail miles over the bar, corners that don't beat the first man and don't get me started on penalties. 

7 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Have you ever wondered what they do all week? Goalkeepers who can only kick with one foot, free kicks that hit the wall or sail miles over the bar, corners that don't beat the first man and don't get me started on penalties. 

Is there an issue with penalties? Can't say I'd noticed.

• Haha 1

Re: Godfrey and any of the others who will inevitable be head hunted should we fail to go up, or even if we do.

With my current faith in the whole set-up and in Farke and  Webber and based upon our results, our style, the academy set-up and the constant noises emanating from Carrow Road (Onel Hernandez this week for example,)I have to say that I am a lot more confident that we can hold onto players who are in demand elsewhere at this moment in time than I have been at many times in the past.

Selling our finest has always been our lot it but as things stand at the moment it seems that, money apart, there can possibly be little incentive for any ambitious player to want out. This includes very much the old adage that financial reward has to be weighed against the possibility of less game time and more time on the bench that is always likely when jumping into that bigger pond and the truism that all good things come to those who wait. In other words, timing when everything in the Canary cage seems rosy.