Rehash of speculation that was around a month or so ago - 10mill would be way too cheap imo, but just paper talk anyway you would imagine.

As good as he is, he's not ready for first Team football at Old Trafford, a bit of a gamble for them with European football to play as well. 

Plus, Man U's normal budget is £30 mill for a first teamer, minimum. I'm sure they could get an established International for that money. If he went there, they'd probably send him out on loan for a season, so he might as well stay here. 

13 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

It’s nonsense reporting at this stage. If we go up the price tag on all our players will get pretty stiff. If not we may lose a couple where the offers are merely generous.

The day we get promoted I think we’ll all get pretty stiff ! 

The flex of our muscle purely depends on promotion. If we go up, I highly doubt anyone would be leaving with the promise of regular first team premier league football. If we don’t go up it’s all very different

If we don’t go up, I can see many of our squad going to premier league clubs, that’s how much of an impression they’ve made this season. 

If you’re going to make a story up at least make it credible- £10m? Any player deemed a decent PL prospect is going to be at least half as much again, maybe even double. I think even if we go up we may have trouble keeping both our young full backs in the Summer rather than BG.

Didn't united sign Smalling for a similar fee after only a handful of games for Fulham, some 10 years ago?

The player himself will know development wise he'd be mad to leave Carrow Rd just yet. He gets plenty of game time and If he's as good as we hope then he'll inevitably leave for a bigger stage, maybe as soon as Jan, but it'll be for mega bucks not £10m.

Let's hope we get the promotion to find out. If we do fail to go up then it may well be a different story.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

10 million...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 24/03/2019 at 18:56, ......and Smith must score. said:

The player himself will know development wise he'd be mad to leave Carrow Rd just yet. He gets plenty of game time and If he's as good as we hope then he'll inevitably leave for a bigger stage, maybe as soon as Jan, but it'll be for mega bucks not £10m.

Let's hope we get the promotion to find out. If we do fail to go up then it may well be a different story.

Financially he'll be set up for life if he goes to a club like Liverpool or Man U now. If he turns a move down, his career could be ended by one bad tackle while he's still on Norwich academy level wages. Sad to say, but he'd be mad to stay - if a genuine offer comes in.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:
On 24/03/2019 at 18:56, ......and Smith must score. said:

Financially he'll be set up for life if he goes to a club like Liverpool or Man U now. If he turns a move down, his career could be ended by one bad tackle while he's still on Norwich academy level wages. Sad to say, but he'd be mad to stay - if a genuine offer comes in.

There is a kind of stupid inequality and lack of ethos in the way the super rich clubs can buy players, only to not use them as regular first team players.  You only have to look at John Ruddy's podcast recently to see what can happen when you go to a so called big club and don't get game time.  Players like Godfrey need to play first team football and the last thing he needs is going to a club where he might end up not getting on the pitch very much and maybe even being shipped out on loan again.  

If players like Godfery go to a big club they need to go with the thought that they are going to be playing - as with Maddison. Is Godfrey ready to go straight into a top six club's first team?  Not yet imo. If we are promoted and he has a good season in the PL, then yes you could say he is ready, but to go to an MU or LFC at this stage might not be the best thing for his career. 

3 minutes ago, Clint said:

I’d be very surprised if he’s still on Norwich academy wages! 

True, but equally he will be on a fraction of what's on offer at one of the top six.

Just looks like his agent is trying to get him a bigger contract to me. 

He signed an extension last summer, so is under contract until 2022. This means he has very little leverage to force Norwich to open contract negotiations, but recent performances and international recognition means he is almost certainly ‘under paid’. 

Putting a few stories about big club interest may help get Norwich to the negotiating table. 

37 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Just looks like his agent is trying to get him a bigger contract to me. 

He signed an extension last summer, so is under contract until 2022. This means he has very little leverage to force Norwich to open contract negotiations, but recent performances and international recognition means he is almost certainly ‘under paid’. 

Putting a few stories about big club interest may help get Norwich to the negotiating table. 

BYG - I know this got the club in trouble last time we went up financially (mainly because relegation clauses were not as tight as they could have been) but assume if we get promoted all the players will see some form of EPL clause kick in and see their salaries increase automatically?  If that is not the case with Godfrey perhaps he better find himself a better agent?

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

BYG - I know this got the club in trouble last time we went up financially (mainly because relegation clauses were not as tight as they could have been) but assume if we get promoted all the players will see some form of EPL clause kick in and see their salaries increase automatically?  If that is not the case with Godfrey perhaps he better find himself a better agent?

I’m sure he does have a promotion increase clause. But those are usually a % increase on what the player is earning before promotion.

So even with promotion he’ll be earning under what his value to the team represents. 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I'm not so sure it was entirely down to the relegation clauses not being robust enough, but the negotiation position of the players in the first place , and of course their subsequent worth. Naismith doesn't appear to have one , that's the inference from Webber  . It may also illustrate why it took a while to get over the line. If you have a player you really want it is unlikely they will sign a contract with a 50% drop in wages. 

You then have the issue of whether you can sensibly offload a high earner - and we have examples of where you could (Jerome) and where you cannot (Olly) . All differing scenarios. Throw in a long term injury (Jarvis) and it becomes increasingly complex. 

The accounts do show a fall in wages on relegation, but not enough given the income. 

I honestly feel that it is very difficult to get good, wanted players to sign contracts with significant relegation clauses. 

• Like 1

If we get promoted, we aren't going to get much bigger crowds so unless there is a major hike in season ticket prices, our income will be increased just by the Prem money. So if players are expecting pots of gold I think they may get a shock. Getting promotion means they have played well, above our expectations at least, but did that on Championship wages. Expecting a bonanza from TV money would be too greedy. A pay rise yes but don't get too smart and demand too much.

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Fair point Nuff, but if he went to Man Utd and had a career ending injury in his first game... ? 

Lets be honest, either yours or my scenario is highly unlikely. The sensible thing would be to continue to make your name playing first team football in hopefully the Premier League. I’m sure he’d sooner be playing week in/week out against the best teams rather than playing likely U23 football with Utd (for a while at least).

That’s 3 of our 4 starting defenders being linked with the biggest clubs in England. That tells me that in theory we will have a top drawer defensive line up in (hopefully) the Premier League next season. I really hope for once we can keep our best players and see where they can take us as a club collectively. What Leicester did a few seasons back has to be the yardstick.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we get promoted, we aren't going to get much bigger crowds so unless there is a major hike in season ticket prices, our income will be increased just by the Prem money. So if players are expecting pots of gold I think they may get a shock. Getting promotion means they have played well, above our expectations at least, but did that on Championship wages. Expecting a bonanza from TV money would be too greedy. A pay rise yes but don't get too smart and demand too much.

This comes around from time to time, the discussion about increasing revenue for the Club. Do we increase ticket prices or increase capacity? I understand that more seating is a risk as we're unlikely to fill them when we're struggling like last year. However, only having 27,000 for a home game against the top six, when there is clearly greater demand is such a waste. A new stand would be expensive but should be seen as an investment for the next 30 or 40years. 

• Like 2

I've always thought along those lines  Mr. S but, being aware of the fact the financial input would be greater than we could envisage, ground extension (which in effect means re-structuring the Main Stand) would need outside investment which in turn would mean commitment in some way or another.

We probably need at least five years in the PL before expansion can be considered.

It would be the icing on the cake to be able to hold in excess of 30, 000 though which surely means the club have become big time.

I am sure though that sensible decisions will be made at the appropriate time. As ever lessons can be learnt from that very sad case down the road whereby they, besotted by history as usual, went for expansion without forethought and got into an irretrievable debt.

Edited by BroadstairsR

41 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s 3 of our 4 starting defenders being linked with the biggest clubs in England. That tells me that in theory we will have a top drawer defensive line up in (hopefully) the Premier League next season.

I’m afraid we haven’t got the best defence in the Championship, let alone the Premier League. We do still concede a lot of goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

I’m afraid we haven’t got the best defence in the Championship, let alone the Premier League. We do still concede a lot of goals.

And yet, as things stand, we,as supporters don't want to see any of them go. Is there an argument that our DM's leave them exposed, or that Farke's tactics, encouraging our full backs to get forward leaves us short at the back? Genuine question, as I don't get to see enough to make a qualified decision. 

Wolves, Brighton and Norwich are interested in Leyton Orient's 20-year-old defender Dan Happe. (Sun)

Here's Godfrey's replacement already lined up.😉