Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Brum 9 point deduction

A carefully chosen number I’d say... also means Leeds and Sheff Utd will have a slightly less motivated team to play against. 

Is issue is nothing to do with me - says Redknapp. "I didn't know anything about Financial Fair Play. I was never warned by anyone at the football club that there was going to be a problem with that.

I would say that this would make Birmingham more motivated in their next three games against WBA, Leeds and Sheff Utd, because lose all three and they will then be uncomfortably close to the third team from bottom, who I think they still have to play.

They weren't going to make the playoffs this year so avoiding a points deduction next season is a good result for them; it might actually free them up and motivate them a bit. We can but hope.

Edited by Grando

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Is issue is nothing to do with me - says Redknapp. "I didn't know anything about Financial Fair Play. I was never warned by anyone at the football club that there was going to be a problem with that.

it's not like there has been financial problems at any other clubs after you have left have there 🙁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

To be fair to redknapp it's not like all these clubs he manages give him a credit card. He may ask for too much but it's up to the club to say no

So who's next? Villa fans giving Brummies lots of cr@p today, but if they don't get promoted surely they run foul of this too?

I'm with Grando, they're now just above the relegation zone and must pick up points to avoid getting sucked in. Hopefully this could see them nicking points off our rivals, he says, optimistically. 

This is always confusing to me.

On the face of it Bournemouth, QPR, Wolves, Villa Derby to name but a few look far worse than Birmingham did ?

Bournemouth, QPR and wolves all got promoted though so avoided proper penalty... Villa are in their last year of the accounting period and derby I don't know how they've avoided it, a couple of big sales perhaps?

20 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Bournemouth, QPR and wolves all got promoted though so avoided proper penalty... Villa are in their last year of the accounting period and derby I don't know how they've avoided it, a couple of big sales perhaps?

Agreed but QPR came down and only got a fine and the same I am sure will only apply if one day Bournemouth and Wolves come down. Allowing teams to get away with it by being in a different division is like robbing a bank in Norwich and not being able to be prosecuted because you have moved to Birmingham. Willing to bet now if Villa don’t go up nothing will happen.

21 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Yes but Bournemouth are media darlings . Rising through the ranks of English Football , from their sunny South Coast home. A better example of plucky hardworking derring-do you would be hard pushed to find. Lead by  Eddie Howe , with his boyish good looks and  his ready wit, it is nought but a modern fairy tale.  And absolutely nothing to do with a fabulously wealthy Russian. No sireee.

• Like 2

Birmingham have lost their last 4 games, so already look like a demotivated team to be honest - Lets hope the threat of relegation kicks them into life

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

Agreed but QPR came down and only got a fine and the same I am sure will only apply if one day Bournemouth and Wolves come down. Allowing teams to get away with it by being in a different division is like robbing a bank in Norwich and not being able to be prosecuted because you have moved to Birmingham. Willing to bet now if Villa don’t go up nothing will happen.

QPR did come back down but I believe that the rules changed in 2017 to allow a points deduction and QPR had already had the fine levied (though obviously not paid). At the time of relegation there were some mumblings that the EFL could refuse re-entry to QPR as technically it is not guaranteed that relegation and promotion between EFL and PL will happen (there has to be an agreed transfer of membership or something), but that nuclear option will almost certainly never be used because it increases the risk of the PL shutting shop and then stopping the 'solidarity' payments...

Edited by cornish sam

On 22/03/2019 at 19:22, glory.win or die. said:

To be fair to redknapp it's not like all these clubs he manages give him a credit card. He may ask for too much but it's up to the club to say no

Spurs said no and sacked him. Everyone else he has been involved with has subsequently had financial problems. Harry has been taken to court on tax related issues. When will the public's love affair with this crook come to an end? 

9 hours ago, cornish sam said:

QPR did come back down but I believe that the rules changed in 2017 to allow a points deduction and QPR had already had the fine levied (though obviously not paid). At the time of relegation there were some mumblings that the EFL could refuse re-entry to QPR as technically it is not guaranteed that relegation and promotion between EFL and PL will happen (there has to be an agreed transfer of membership or something), but that nuclear option will almost certainly never be used because it increases the risk of the PL shutting shop and then stopping the 'solidarity' payments...

Our Ipswich blogger friend had a YouTube clip on Birmingham, and two takeaways were that - 

the rules were changed post QPR to allow points deduction. 

The 39m loss over three years is accurate for those teams who have not been relegated recently. At least one year will be allocated 35m loss if you have just come down, so it may be that a WBA has a 105m loss available before they break these new financial rules. 

This aggregate does include your recent seasons in the PL, so Fulham could be in big trouble...

Edited by Surfer

Good explanations guys - thanks, but I still don’t get how for instance Birmingham have got in this position unless they are paying nobodies crazy wages ? Compare to Villa John Terry alone was reported to be on wages that would have blown the lower teams budgets, and they have signed players for multi million pounds. Jack Grealish has to be on silly money ?

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Didn’t Villa’s owners put some more money in to cook the books a bit ? 

Didn’t think you could do that anymore ? But might be wrong

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Think their passionate support will demand a strong finish to the season. 

If they don't start to get some results in their next three games then they're going to be right in the thick of it. They need to get stuck in to Leeds and Sheff Utd, and they shouldn't need any extra motivation for a local derby.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Didn’t Villa’s owners put some more money in to cook the books a bit ? 

Evans has been doing this for 10 years, apparently, 1p5wich have no debts, it's all on Marcus, he's pumping 6 mill a year into a Club that's only heading one way... and according to their message boards, they hate him for it. Go figure. 

On 24/03/2019 at 10:43, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Yes but Bournemouth are media darlings . Rising through the ranks of English Football , from their sunny South Coast home. A better example of plucky hardworking derring-do you would be hard pushed to find. Lead by  Eddie Howe , with his boyish good looks and  his ready wit, it is nought but a modern fairy tale.  And absolutely nothing to do with a fabulously wealthy Russian. No sireee.

Totally agree.  Bournemouth spent their way out of the Chamionship.  They spent big money and it simply wasn’t mentioned.  

The BBC lapped it up, spouting their usual liberal, cozy, PC crap, expertly delivered by right- on puppets like Linekar and Mark “Chappers” Chapman.  Yet Harry Rednapp is constantly ridiculed for flashing the cash.

Rednapp’s a class act.  Just unfashionable with the likes of the BBC / 5 Live etc.  Rednapp sets clear expectations with the board when negotiating his package.  If the owners over spend, that’s the owners responsibility not the coaches.

• Like 1