McLean having a decent run in the Norwich team and scoring but couldn’t make the starting eleven. Honestly believe it should be easier the other way round. 

Not sure about that, but only just realised this was a qualifier, when I heard the result I though it had been a friendly.

Scotland are an absolutely abysmal national team right now, this defeat shows just how appalling they are, easily beaten by Kazakhstan - I honestly wouldn't bank on them beating San Marino in the next game the way they're playing. There are clearly talented players available (like McLean) but it's the same tired ineffective management and hopeless coaching time and again - McLeish has never been a particularly stellar manager and he clearly hasn't got a clue who to pick for Scotland, just seems to grab whoever looked half decent on TV the previous week and throw them in a lineup. He needs to go and the SFA instead of appointing Lambert who is probably the one they'll turn to, need to bring in a young, talented manager on a long-term (10 years or so) contract with a long-term vision who will do what England are in the process of doing - Identify the most promising young players at 15-16 years old and bring them up through the ranks together so that in 5-6 years you have a solid group of players who know each others' style of play and have tons of experience playing together. 

• Like 1

Robertson, McTominay, Snoddy and Mccarthy didn't fancy the trip, understandably. 

All joking aside - I can see them appointing Lambert.  Ipswich will love that, continuing their long history of International managers - Ramsay, Robson, McCarthy, Keane (?).

I think Lambert would be an excellent fit for the national team. He'll get the best out of that squad for sure. They'd be Bwilliant for him. I don't rate McLean as much as most on here, but he's decent enough to get into that starting 11 surely?!!!

5 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Robertson, McTominay, Snoddy and Mccarthy didn't fancy the trip, understandably. 

Why is that understandable? You can't just turn up for the national team when you feel like it, or if you don't want to get injured. No different from a club player pulling out of a game rather than potentially missing an international match. Didn't Robertson have a dental appointment FFS. McLeish is a dinosaur but any manager deserves better than that.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Why is that understandable? You can't just turn up for the national team when you feel like it, or if you don't want to get injured. No different from a club player pulling out of a game rather than potentially missing an international match. Didn't Robertson have a dental appointment FFS. McLeish is a dinosaur but any manager deserves better than that.

I think the Fuzzar comment was said with tongue firmly wedged in cheek.

Might be wrong though

• Thanks 1

Certaintly agree on McLeish being a poor choice and tbh I liked Strachan, but the players are just not good enough and worse still our once strong trait of being a untalented squad, but one that played as a team is no more. In recent Nations and friendly games seasoned squad players have been pulling out left right and centre. We won our nations group through the efforts of the untested replacements and this is why McLeish has selection issues. That the players he knows are reliable on the pitch are not reliable to turn up and the newer ones who are up for it. Trial and error.

Haven't been following scottish international football much but am staggered the only manager they could come up with is McLeish, given the way his career has gone.  I suppose it gives hope to any scottish manager anywhere and I guess it makes it inevitable that Lambert will get that job at some stage. 

22 hours ago, Woodman said:

All joking aside - I can see them appointing Lambert.  Ipswich will love that, continuing their long history of International managers - Ramsay, Robson, McCarthy, Keane (?).

Lambert would fit the bill exactly. A 'merry-go-round' manager who ultimately failed at the sharp end, a washed-up Scot with lots of experience and a distinguished past with the National team who would welcome the accolade of being an international team boss.

I also think it's fairly certain that he would jump at the job. He has no loyalty except to his own self-seeking philosophy and would dump little Ipswich without a backward glance, especially as I cannot see them flying next season, despite their fans' expectations.

A "brulliant" opportunity, just "brulliantly, brulliant.

I've enjoyed my time at Ipswich and feel that I have pointed them in the right direction. It's been"brulliant," but this Scotland job is too good an opportunity to turn down."

Yes. Paul Lambert, manager of Scotland. His final pay-day.......  or do the Faroe Islands have a national side that would enable him to squeeze that last buck from the game after Scotland, having failed to reach the next World Cup finals, give him that excuse to quit?

It would be highly amusing for sure, but 100% par for the course for that man and that club.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Lambert would fit the bill exactly. A 'merry-go-round' manager who ultimately failed at the sharp end, a washed-up Scot with lots of experience and a distinguished past with the National team who would welcome the accolade of being an international team boss.

I also think it's fairly certain that he would jump at the job. He has no loyalty except to his own self-seeking philosophy and would dump little Ipswich without a backward glance, especially as I cannot see them flying next season, despite their fans' expectations.

A "brulliant" opportunity, just "brulliantly, brulliant.

I've enjoyed my time at Ipswich and feel that I have pointed them in the right direction. It's been"brulliant," but this Scotland job is too good an opportunity to turn down."

Yes. Paul Lambert, manager of Scotland. His final pay-day.......  or do the Faroe Islands have a national side that would enable him to squeeze that last buck from the game after Scotland, having failed to reach the next World Cup finals, give him that excuse to quit?

It would be highly amusing for sure, but 100% par for the course for that man and that club.

You don't like him do you?

With opening matches against Kazakhstan and San Marino you wouldn't have expected Scotland to have a negative goal difference.