Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Dietmarr Hamann

Nobody from Chelsea has said anything to me and Essien hasn''t apologised or anything like that," said Hamann.

Hamann is doubtful for Liverpool''s home game against Middlesbrough with severe bruising caused by the tackle.

The German midfielder said the tackle was the "worst I have suffered in my career" and questioned how Essien escaped punishment from the referee.

Hamann said: "The referee blew the whistle for something else just a second beforehand but with four officials around the pitch these days, did nobody see what happened?

"I thought they were trying to stop things like that happening in the game.

"But it''s finished as far as I''m concerned. It''s not for me to say whether it was a booking or a red card, for me it''s finished."

Remind you of a tackle involving Damien Francis at Anfield last season?

Some people have such short memories...

Here are some minor facts around the topic.

a) Dietmar Hamann was going for the ball when he tackled Damien Francis.

b) His tackle did, in all fairness warrant slightly more than the free kick we were given. But that is down to the referee not the player.

c) Essien''s tackle was not going for the ball, was definate intent to cause injury.

d) This wasn''t the first time Essien has done this - Remember the game against bolton?? and he got away with it then. Hamann has not got a history for being a bad tackler.

e) Do you see anyone else in the chelsea team tackling like that? No, Mourinho sends him out there to cause injury, to wind people up, he is a scape goat, a sacraficial lamb, cause to be honest, he does nothing else.

To be fair, would you complain or even raise the issue if it hadnt happened to Francis?? Didn''t think so.

Yes it was a bad challenge, but it was in a physical game. The referee didnt see it and now it is being delt with.

some good points there scouse... u really hit the nail on the head i think.

I dont condone dirty players or hard foul play.. but when you come up against a Keane, an Essien, a Muscat, Shearer or Viera then you have to look after yourself.

I have always been of the attitude that you conduct yourself in the right way on the field, and try to encourage fair play.. however.. if ur against a team with a known thug in it, then you have to consider the safety of yourself and your team mates...

If i was a player and came up against Essien id have the mind set of "do him before he does me". i also think if u stamp ur authority early then you can quiet them a bit....

id certainly not be afraid of taking out muscat or something if it meant their game became inefectual.

jas :)

"To be fair, would you complain or even raise the issue if it hadnt happened to Francis?? Didn''t think so. "

Well at least give me the opportunity to answer the question, and my answer would be dependent. If it happened to someone other than an NCFC player then it would be pretty irrelevant on a Norwich forum, however it wouldnt stop me saying in a general discussion down the pub or whereever that Hamann has done it before.

Question though, as I dont want to state incorrect facts, did Hamann ever apologise to Francis? I remember in the EDP they said he didnt, but he may have done at a later date.

And although it was a horrible challenge, do you know as FACT that essien went to deliberately injure him? Perhaps he is just a rubbish tackler!

By the way, does anyone still have the link to the photo of the Dietmar Hamann''s tackle/assault on Damien Francis?

I recall it demonstrated better than any argument just how horrific that challenge was.

Michael Essien''s tackles on the bolton lad and dietmar Hamann have no place in football both where over the top studs first assaults on opposing players uefa should ban him till the end of July and fine him all his wages in the time he is not playing them maybe the next time he goes over the top in a tackle trying to injure an opponent he will think twice about it .On the same subject how did Gallis get away with same type of tackle on Harry Kewell one rule for Chelski one thinks !!!!!!!

To Macdougall''s Perm:

No it wasnt Horrendous, That is what Essien''s tackles were.

Hamann''s on Francis was competive, a dynamic midfielder going for the ball, and to be honest if you pull out of a tackle, as Francis did, you will, inevitably come out worse off.  And if you read what i put i didnt say that i condone Hamann''s tackle, a free kick was given and that was the interpretation of the official. END OF MATTER.