canarydan23

We hate Wolves, apparently

I thought it was a given that we used to hate Wolves AKA "Gold scum", although that does seem to have dropped off now.
It may have had earlier origins but from what I remember, it came from the 2001/2002 season. Wolves had a commanding lead of First Division (Championship) and their chairman openly stated something along the lines of "We're already promoted", after which, Wolves didn't win another game and dropped out of the automatic places on the last day of the season to West Brom and then lost to Norwich in the Play Off semis.

Used to hate them because of Muscat - Utter scümbag, he should have been banned for life on multiple occasions - but honestly they're not that team any more and it's hard not to enjoy watching them this season with the way they're playing. A significant section of the fans are knobs though. 

A significant section of all clubs fans are knobs so unfair to label Wolves in that manner😀

Muscat was a **** tho!

• Like 1

I went to Wolves away the season after the 2002 Playoff Final. We were herded into the ground by police from where the coach dropped us off and a few knuckle-draggers decided to lob some missiles (one of which included a battery, where the hell did they get a battery from?!) at us as we walked to the ground. A Norwich fan nearby got hit in the head with a coin, he picked it up and said to the policeman something along the lines of "Are you going to do anything about this?" and the policeman replied in that awful black country drawl, "It doesn't bother me, I've got a helmet on".

Still, that was 17 years ago. There are at least half a dozen teams I dislike more than Wolves nowadays.

Oh, and the game was utterly awful to. I think we lost 1-0 and didn't even muster a single shot if memory serves. And I don't mean a shot on target, we didn't even have a shot.

20 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Oh, and the game was utterly awful to. I think we lost 1-0 and didn't even muster a single shot if memory serves. And I don't mean a shot on target, we didn't even have a shot.

We had a similar display there a few years ago too. Our first shot was in injury time of second half and went out for a throw in. I forget what year but more recent than youre talking about.

22 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I went to Wolves away the season after the 2002 Playoff Final. We were herded into the ground by police from where the coach dropped us off and a few knuckle-draggers decided to lob some missiles (one of which included a battery, where the hell did they get a battery from?!) at us as we walked to the ground. A Norwich fan nearby got hit in the head with a coin, he picked it up and said to the policeman something along the lines of "Are you going to do anything about this?" and the policeman replied in that awful black country drawl, "It doesn't bother me, I've got a helmet on".

Still, that was 17 years ago. There are at least half a dozen teams I dislike more than Wolves nowadays.

😀

Crikey, I’ve not seen that Aussie League footage before- almost tantamount to physical assault, career ending stuff. It amazes me he was allowed to continue plying his trade as a footballer with such a record- I notice he crosses himself as he leaves the pitch in that footage, obviously considers he has some sort of divine guidance to act like a **** :classic_angry:

Edited by Beetley Yellow

On 20/03/2019 at 22:46, The Great Mass Debater said:

I also hated Everton with a passion post-Walker. Not bothered any more

I still haven’t forgiven Everton for not trying against Coventry after they’d won the league in 1985, relegating us. That coupled with Mike Walker marks their card for me. I should probably get over it though, given it’s been 25 years since the latter and 34 from the former!

32 minutes ago, Grando said:

I still haven’t forgiven Everton for not trying against Coventry after they’d won the league in 1985, relegating us. That coupled with Mike Walker marks their card for me. I should probably get over it though, given it’s been 25 years since the latter and 34 from the former!

32 minutes ago, Grando said:

Some things are so unfair they can never be forgiven or forgotten. I still hate Coventry and even them virtually giving us Maddison hasn't stopped that. I hope they stay in League One/Two forever and never get their own ground.

8 hours ago, Grando said:

Yes I agree with Everton they have been my 'dislike' side for many years ever since my old boycontinually went on and on about them for 'poaching' (signing really) his favourite player, one Jimmy Hill (who was inside forward in the famous Cup run etc.)and then hardly playing him in their first team. 

Then there was Mike Walker and the day of Hillboro when they thwarted our best ever chance of getting to Wembley and winning the F.A. Cup  with possibly the best City side that there has ever been (so far?) Rumours were that their team were not informed at half-time of what had taken place in Sheffield in order to keep them focussed, whilst the Norwich side were distracted. I tend to discount these as the crowd would have known in any case, but there might be an element of truth there. 

I've watered down my ant-Everton bias in recent years as they do seem to be a perpetually 'nearly' club destined never to be able to break into the top six strangleholds and have an ageing ground to boot. None of the likes of the new Tottenham stadia on the cards for them it seems.

I  don't really get the use of the word "hate" though feeling that's too strong an emotion  to use with regards any football club in any way. ** It's only a game after all. All clubs have their yob element and I dislike that intensely. A photopic of any section of a football crowd on the terraces is never very enhancing in any case and I am particularly amused by the sight of so many pot bellied, middle-aged men proudly wearing their club's playing kit. I would never wear the City shirt at a game,  or anywhere for that matter, as I feel it demeans, and I haven't even got a pot belly. I always thought that this habit was meant for youngsters in the first place. With the oldies it seems to have become the perfect example of the 'herd instinct' ...... and I don't even like joining queues :classic_angry:

No offence meant.😈

** Perhaps it could be appropriately applied to that element in Montenegro who aimed racial insults (monkey noises etc.) at certain England players last night ...truly horrible.

Edited by BroadstairsR