canarydan23

We hate Wolves, apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/20/what-are-the-most-random-football-rivalries-and-why-the-knowledge

According to this article we have a fierce hatred of Wolves due to Muscat nobbling Bellers and ruining our season. 

This may have been accurate in 1999 and for a few years after the turn of the millennium (we only hate Wolves and Ipswich being an occasional chant) but has anyone held any ill feeling against Wolves in particular at all for the last decade?

But I wouldn't say the dislike of them is any more than other twatish teams

Edited by cornish sam

My dislike goes way back to the 70's when they used to beat us 5-0 or 5-1 on what seemed to me to be on a regular basis, but may only have been once or twice, but whatever, never liked them since then.

To be fair their was a pretty fierce dislike of them for a fair few years.

One of my favourite memories as a City fan was chanting 'You're not singing any more!' at their silent fans when we went 3-1 up in the 2002 playoffs.

• Like 1

Yeah, I hated them in the early 00s and loved it when Malky scored with his face to go 3-1 up and when we resolutely defended the lead at Molineux, albeit losing 1-0 on the night and wearing that awful red away kit. 

But now? Meh, I couldn't care less about them. 

Same here, I hate the scum...but don't really care about other teams... I hate all the money in football and the top six deciding just about everything...but Wolves, well ... 

I hate Muscat though

• Like 1

Maybe something to do with moronic supporters that emanate from that part of the country.

That article is written by a Julie Ferriston and Google is not at all helpful in finding out who she is so i can only assume she is one of these unqualified self promoting journos who are popping up everywhere on social media and who then have anything they print copy and pasted .

Well credit to her for a modicum of accuatacy. We really don’t hate anyone, but Wolves would be near the top of any list. The thing about it is that it that grudges don’t have to be recent - the most extreme ones tend to be historical anyway. 

For me it’s Man Utd - the violence shown at Carrow Rd from their fans was something else. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Well credit to her for a modicum of accuatacy. We really don’t hate anyone, but Wolves would be near the top of any list. The thing about it is that it that grudges don’t have to be recent - the most extreme ones tend to be historical anyway. 

For me it’s Man Utd - the violence shown at Carrow Rd from their fans was something else. 

The majority of whom were likely from Yarmouth... 😉

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That article is written by a Julie Ferriston and Google is not at all helpful in finding out who she is so i can only assume she is one of these unqualified self promoting journos who are popping up everywhere on social media and who then have anything they print copy and pasted .

You'd be wrong.

The Guardian 'knowledge' is a long running series where readers submit questions, often about obscure football facts. Julie Ferriston appears to be the reader who asked about random rivalries, someone else answered about us and Wolves.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Yeah, I hated them in the early 00s and loved it when Malky scored with his face to go 3-1 up and when we resolutely defended the lead at Molineux, albeit losing 1-0 on the night and wearing that awful red away kit. 

But now? Meh, I couldn't care less about them. 

Was lucky to be inside Molineux for a league win and the play-off semi. Then unlucky enough to be outside Molineux afterwards.

• Like 1

Absolutely hate Wolves - they're dim witted knuckle draggers who attacked scarfers, old people and kids after the Play Off semi final 2002

And Muscat, natch

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't have any particular dislike for them myself but I have read quite a few accounts on here of our supporters who have been attacked or intimidated by Wolves-supporting thugs after away games there on occasions so this could well be where things have lingered for a while after the Muscat incident.

Only hated Wolves because of Muscat, really enjoy watching them nowadays. I only hate Ipswich and Leeds. And Chelsea. And Sunderland if I'm having a bad day. 

I don't care about Wolves, they're not on my radar, yes there was some angst in the early 00s but we've all moved on. 

As for Muscat, disliked him then and ever since, I saw him up against Hucks at the New Den, spent the whole game trying to 'contain ' him, until the Ref sent him off. Apparently, Iwan Roberts reckons he's a decent fella off the pitch, so, presumably it's all just mind games. 

I didn't go, but my brother told me how disgusting they were after the play off semi finals. I think that this was part of it.

I still hate Everton for getting us relegated in 1985 though! 

Yep I hate them. Scummy club with scummy fans. One of my enduring memories of following City as a lad is having my head split open aged 7 by a coin that one of the wolves c**ts had launched at our fans.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I still hate Everton for getting us relegated in 1985 though! 

I dislike Everton because they tapped up Mike Walker in the media and were later fined for it.

...and for accusing our fans of racism, when we chanted 'you fat bast**d' they thought we'd said 'black ' and there was an enquiry, from memory. 

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/20/what-are-the-most-random-football-rivalries-and-why-the-knowledge

According to this article we have a fierce hatred of Wolves due to Muscat nobbling Bellers and ruining our season. 

This may have been accurate in 1999 and for a few years after the turn of the millennium (we only hate Wolves and Ipswich being an occasional chant) but has anyone held any ill feeling against Wolves in particular at all for the last decade?

I dont get to many Norwich games. But I was at that one, so feel the bitterness particularly with this one. However, it was more towards Muscat than Wolves themselves.

Heard things on this board about their fans being twats when going to Molineux

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

I dislike Everton because they tapped up Mike Walker in the media and were later fined for it.

...and for accusing our fans of racism, when we chanted 'you fat bast**d' they thought we'd said 'black ' and there was an enquiry, from memory. 

I also hated Everton with a passion post-Walker. Not bothered any more

4 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I don't care about Wolves, they're not on my radar, yes there was some angst in the early 00s but we've all moved on. 

As for Muscat, disliked him then and ever since, I saw him up against Hucks at the New Den, spent the whole game trying to 'contain ' him, until the Ref sent him off. Apparently, Iwan Roberts reckons he's a decent fella off the pitch, so, presumably it's all just mind games. 

Didn't Iwan stand on him though in front of the Barclay once and then Muscat got sent off for protesting about it?

Or did I dream that?

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Muscat sees red again . 

Remember someone posting that on here at the time. Worth 3 reds.

I love the way he tries to say he got the ball! Pr1ck.

Muscat will always be a disgrace. I’ll never forgive what he did to Bellamy; the most exciting player we’d had for so many years. Thankfully, he had a great career but I can’t be alone in thinking he could have achieved even more but for this gaping welly-top. We might have gone up that year (fanciful maybe) but the Bellamy/Roberts partnership was flying. Thank fûck Emi doesn’t have to play against a bell end like this. 

• Like 1