1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:
8 hours ago, Len said:

I read that Cliff Richard had a property near to where Madeline disappeared 🤐.

Clement Freude had a property there and had met the family

By virtue of being dead, I think it's okay to mention this chap!

Cheers Purple. If a post overstepped the mark in the way you say then completely understand the thread being taken down and I agree with it.

Til on the other hand is unable to differentiate between that and my more general point which, unfortunately doesnt surprise me so I'll let that be.

Re the Portuguese Police - they made a lot of mistakes In the early stages but not on purpose - simply werent capable of dealing with that sort of crime. Their equivalent to FBI did unfortunately seem to want to find the parents guilty. The fact they couldnt probably speaks volumes, but equally they missed enough for that to have had an impact.

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Unlike you i read the posts and the content contained in them and made my judgement based on that as did at least three other posters. Trial by internet is dangerous to say the least.

Precisely. A child has died FFS. 

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Til on the other hand is unable to differentiate between that and my more general point which, unfortunately doesnt surprise me so I'll let that be.

Oh i can differentiate so please don't suggest otherwise, it is just i do not agree with your views as you have outlined them so just deal with it hogesar.

How gracious of you to let it go .

Edited by TIL 1010

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cheers Purple. If a post overstepped the mark in the way you say then completely understand the thread being taken down and I agree with it.

Re the Portuguese Police - they made a lot of mistakes In the early stages but not on purpose - simply werent capable of dealing with that sort of crime. Their equivalent to FBI did unfortunately seem to want to find the parents guilty. The fact they couldnt probably speaks volumes, but equally they missed enough for that to have had an impact.

You seem oblivious to the obvious, the subject matter is unsuitable for a football forum.  Thread should never have been started. Simple.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You seem oblivious to the obvious, the subject matter is unsuitable for a football forum.  Thread should never have been started. Simple.

Sorry LDC but as long as the Brexit thread is alive on this forum, your argument doesn't hold water. Simpler.

Who makes the rules?  And why?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sorry LDC but as long as the Brexit thread is alive on this forum, your argument doesn't hold water. Simpler.

Yep. And it's got nothing to do with the underlying points being made either. It's just conveniently ignoring them.

What would your argument be if the mods had simply moved it to the non-football section? 

23 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Oh i can differentiate so please don't suggest otherwise, it is just i do not agree with your views as you have outlined them so just deal with it hogesar.

How gracious of you to let it go .

Does it cause you a problem like it does with most of your targets if I dont let you get the last word in?

Dont worry, I'll let you...this time..😂

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep. And it's got nothing to do with the underlying points being made either. It's just conveniently ignoring them.

What would your argument be if the mods had simply moved it to the non-football section? 

No probs with it being moved Hogo, in fact ,this morning, before starting this thread, I looked to see if it had been moved to the non football section.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Does it cause you a problem like it does with most of your targets if I dont let you get the last word in?

Dont worry, I'll let you...this time..😂

You surely mean my run ins now and again with a couple of posters but hey fill your boots and justify that stupid comment.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

really ?

I think that's what all the debate has been about

as to who makes the rules and who decides

guess.........................

those who own and run the site, perhaps ?

Edited by Bill

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Hoggy, I entirely understand your argument, and it may have applied to some generalised posts on the subject. However at least one post went way beyond simply questioning the parents' actions, for example in terms of negligence, which would probably be regarded as fair comment.

That post accused the parents of a handful of serious criminal offences. And the point there is that if someone has never been found guilty of such crimes then the poster would in effect have to prove them guilty to  defend themselves agains a libel action.

And since the police have never found enough evidence to bring a case, let alone secure a conviction, that would be next to impossible. And the same would apply to Archant, would might very well be sued on the basis that it is the publisher.

I presume it's my post you're referring to, whereby I stated my opinion. I won't rehash it in this thread.

Regardless of that specific opinion,  I also made several salient points which probably do merit discussion, and I don't think are in any way defamatory regarding:

Whether the McCanns would have been treated differently if they were off a council estate, rather than middle class doctors? 

Why we have spent £12million of taxpayers money looking for one child when thousands go missing without fanfare every year and are resources being effectively allocated, or is that money that could be better spent on recent cases with a higher chance of being resolved?

I make no accusations, and post the following for consideration only. Up to others to make up their minds whether this case of 3 children under 5 being left alone, despite a £15 per night babysitting service being available and very wealthy parents who could clearly afford said service, fits the criteria as laid out in UK law...

Under the Children and Young Persons Act 1993, if a parent leaves a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’, they can be prosecuted for neglect. It is important to be aware that frequently leaving your child home alone can constitute neglect, which is a form of child abuse. https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/home-alone/

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hogesar said:
2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think the brexit thread has a little more credibility being that brexit is going to affect every single one of us, but would have no objections to it being moved to the non-football section.

For that matter I have no objections to anything being put in the non-football section of the forum, I just can't understand the desire to put subject matter like the McCanns on the football side. It's old and hackneyed and open to gossip, rumour,  innacuracy and people speculating without full knowledege of the facts.  it's a bit like the Ched Evans business, the social media went mad and it did on here too....but at least that was to do with a footballer.........

Non-football section or not at all.

12 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

No sympathy for truly awful parents. Imagine earning so much money and publicity over the disappearance of your child. Disgusting.

My God. You are truly appalling. Disgraceful comment that informs the rest of us about who you are.

What a bunch of whiners on this thread! How anyone can get annoyed at non-football related threads on an Internet forum is beyond me. There have been plenty of interesting discussions outside of football on this forum, some I’ve joined in with and others I have not. I have never read nor posted in the ridiculous Brexit thread but I have never once got angry at people for posting on it. Why do you actually care?! It’s not like it’s a physical obstacle in your lives! Please just ignore it and stop whining for the sake of whining, because it’s killing debate that obviously some people are interested in having! I would not want the Brexit thread to be taken down or moved to non-football (where literally no one posts) despite never clicking on it! 

Anyway, on topic now, there is surely still a debate to be had here whilst the case in unsolved, and I’m not particularly worried about potential defamation in just a discussion (although I don’t know the nature of what was originally posted so perhaps the deleting of the thread was correct). Those suggesting that, because the McCann’s were cleared, we can’t discuss them have confused me a bit. The police DO get it wrong! Imagine not being able to debate the FA’s decision to not ban Tyrone Mings for his stamp on Oliveira (football related comparison for you there)... 

Coincidentally I watched a very interesting interview last night with a top statement analysist (who basically analyses the language and verbal approach used by an interviewee to identify if they are telling the truth etc etc). I’d really recommend it as it’s a very interesting watch:

WARNING: THE ABOVE IS NOT FOOTBALL RELATED

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think the brexit thread has a little more credibility being that brexit is going to affect every single one of us, but would have no objections to it being moved to the non-football section.

For that matter I have no objections to anything being put in the non-football section of the forum, I just can't understand the desire to put subject matter like the McCanns on the football side. It's old and hackneyed and open to gossip, rumour,  innacuracy and people speculating without full knowledege of the facts.  it's a bit like the Ched Evans business, the social media went mad and it did on here too....but at least that was to do with a footballer.........

Non-football section or not at all.

There's no problem with the subject matter, these kind of threads usually slide down the page in a day The problem has been caused by KIO alleging the parents were behind her disappearance. In fact he didn't even use the word 'allege'. He also claimed they received special treatment as they were middle-class  

Archant has no choice but to pull a libellous post and I hope they slap a lengthy ban on the snowflake. 

8 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

My God. You are truly appalling. Disgraceful comment that informs the rest of us about who you are.

To be fair I’ve never left a young child on their own so I can go and have a nice meal.

I have no problem with the brexit thread being moved or deleted. I don’t think this media or any other should give a platform for extremist right wing Islamophobia xenophobia and nationalism  

12 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

The Brexit thread mirrors the actual Brexit debate and process perfectly: pointless, repetitive, not going anywhere, and would have been best not having been started in the first place. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The Brexit thread mirrors the actual Brexit debate and process perfectly: pointless, repetitive, not going anywhere, and would have been best not having been started in the first place. 

Indeed lyb, and that is exactly why I have not looked at it for approx 18 months

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Indeed lyb, and that is exactly why I have not looked at it for approx 18 months

I can't claim that to be honest. It's like rubbernecking at a car accident. 

9 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I can't claim that to be honest. It's like rubbernecking at a car accident. 

Or mud wrestling. Part of me wants to dive in and get on top, but the more sensible part knows I’ll just end up covered in sh*t and ashamed of myself.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How do you know the poor little mite is dead?

I cannot really complain about the mis-placing of the Brexit thread because, although I hardly ever visit it I do occasionally contribute, for my sins as it's usually when on a wind up from the golf club after that extra pint of Bombardier.

There is little real talent or genuine know-how on there and predictably, like many internet forums, develops into a slanging match, with insults abounding from those who find an opposing view or a home truth hard to digest.

The thing is really that the Brexit debate seems to have taken over the whole country for so long now.You get it in the pub, in the club, in the supermarket and probably in the bus queue and over the garden fence. It has taken over much of the press coverage and even more of the television air time, if you take programmes like Question Time as an example.

In sum, we are saturated by it. It has been done to death.

The very last place you then want to find  the whole thing debated over and over again to the level of  of point scoring repetition is on a football forum, especially when there is an alternative placing easily found. The last point belies the argument that it warrants inclusion because it excites interest.

It's continued presence on the NCFC pages doesn't bother me in the slightest but it remains, nevertheless, a massive abuse of the rules of this forum. The McCann thread is stretching it further.

Having taken that sanctimonious stand I need to remind myself that I once started a thread on here about the Ashes cricket a few years ago which although was initially pulled managed to become a major topic for a month or two.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, OldRobert said:

How do you know the poor little mite is dead?

See, 3 pages on the PinkUn and we've found the killer already. And people told me not to bother...

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

See, 3 pages on the PinkUn and we've found the killer already. And people told me not to bother...

And all that money spent with the British police going backwards and forwards to Portugal, following 'promising lead' after 'promising lead' which obviously weren't, photographed on the beach, drinks in hand..........................at taxpayers expense🤨

17 hours ago, kick it off said:

I presume it's my post you're referring to, whereby I stated my opinion. I won't rehash it in this thread.

Regardless of that specific opinion,  I also made several salient points which probably do merit discussion, and I don't think are in any way defamatory regarding:

Whether the McCanns would have been treated differently if they were off a council estate, rather than middle class doctors? 

Why we have spent £12million of taxpayers money looking for one child when thousands go missing without fanfare every year and are resources being effectively allocated, or is that money that could be better spent on recent cases with a higher chance of being resolved?

I make no accusations, and post the following for consideration only. Up to others to make up their minds whether this case of 3 children under 5 being left alone, despite a £15 per night babysitting service being available and very wealthy parents who could clearly afford said service, fits the criteria as laid out in UK law...

Under the Children and Young Persons Act 1993, if a parent leaves a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’, they can be prosecuted for neglect. It is important to be aware that frequently leaving your child home alone can constitute neglect, which is a form of child abuse. https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/home-alone/

I think its a borderline case KIO. As I have said in another post, obviously since MM's disappearance parents would no longer do this precisely because of this incident and how it highlighted the dangers. Back then, attitudes were probably a little more relaxed/ slack and we may tend to forget that. Would I have done what they did with kids of that age, probably not but I am absolutely certain that quite a few people would have done and one of the reasons I am so paranoid about things (didn't even like using baby listening services when the kids were young) is precisely because of what happened to Madeline McCann.

Until I watched the documentary, I thought they were actually further away from the apartment. I did not realise that they were quite so close and could directly see it from where they were sat. To my mind that counts in their favour a little. Having said that, i also did not realise that there were two entrances off the street and that they had left the patio doors (which could be accessed from the street) unlocked which seems to me idiotic. It was a slightly different time though and people can be lulled into a false sense of security in holiday resorts.

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I think its a borderline case KIO. As I have said in another post, obviously since MM's disappearance parents would no longer do this precisely because of this incident and how it highlighted the dangers. Back then, attitudes were probably a little more relaxed/ slack and we may tend to forget that. Would I have done what they did with kids of that age, probably not but I am absolutely certain that quite a few people would have done and one of the reasons I am so paranoid about things (didn't even like using baby listening services when the kids were young) is precisely because of what happened to Madeline McCann.

Until I watched the documentary, I thought they were actually further away from the apartment. I did not realise that they were quite so close and could directly see it from where they were sat. To my mind that counts in their favour a little. Having said that, i also did not realise that there were two entrances off the street and that they had left the patio doors (which could be accessed from the street) unlocked which seems to me idiotic. It was a slightly different time though and people can be lulled into a false sense of security in holiday resorts.

Sorry to be clear, me saying its a borderline case was in response to the question re the definition of neglect. Not in response to any other allegations that may have been made by KIO in other posts.