Didn't take long for the Madeline thread to disappear. Not even to the non football section.  I didn't read anything offensive in it, just opinions. Free speech at its best. Oh and just to mention football, I reckon we're doing ok in the league at the moment.

Someone alleged that the parents of the child were her murderers despite the fact that both the UK and Portuguese police have ruled out that theory. Accusing an innocent person of murder is an extremely serious offence. Tread carefully or you may be the one that ends up behind bars 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Someone alleged that the parents of the child were her murderers despite the fact that both the UK and Portuguese police have ruled out that theory. Accusing an innocent person of murder is an extremely serious offence. Tread carefully or you may be the one that ends up behind bars 

I don't think anyone accused them of murder. Manslaughter followed by a cover up was the theory I believe.

Brilliant, I started a thread and didn't even get to see any of the replies. I don't understand why we can't have an online conversation about it. It's an unsolved crime at the moment and I think open dialogue is healthy.

There are a multitude of theories and some have absolutely zero evidence, some just basic circumstantial whilst a couple of other theories are more interesting and yes, do involve at least one of the parents. 

No offence to anyone intended, but this isn't a tabloid news channel, for people to spread mis-informed guff about any old news stuff, it's supposed to be about football. If you want to talk about stuff like the Mcanns, there's plenty of sh*t stirring social media out there, so no need to infest a football forum with it.

At least the EU thread is something that affects everyone, which is presumably why it's been allowed to stay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

At least the EU thread is something that affects everyone, which is presumably why it's been allowed to stay.

Yeah I suppose a little girl going missing is completely f*cking irrelevant compared to an argument between hipsters and racists?

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah I suppose a little girl going missing is completely f*cking irrelevant compared to an argument between hipsters and racists?

Think Brexit is a little bit more than that. 

While it may sound harsh, the fate of that poor child is of zero relevance to my life, or I’d suspect anyone else’s on this board. (Not that personal relevance should be the judge of whether a thread stays or not). 

Sounds like there were some legally questionable comments made and the thread was pulled. Hardly the first time that has happened here. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:
19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Frankly it's old news and certainly not something relevant to a football forum.

• Like 1

It doesn’t matter what the original post/topic is, if something libellous or otherwise legally dubious is posted, there’s going to be a good chance the thread will be taken down. I don’t think there’s much question alledging someone committed a crime falls into that category. It shouldn’t be hard to post bearing that in mind. 

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Frankly it's old news and certainly not something relevant to a football forum.

Pin pulled....

jon stewart popcorn GIF

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

I read that Cliff Richard had a property near to where Madeline disappeared 🤐.

1 minute ago, Len said:

you probably need an 'allegedy' on the end of that sentence Len...

Who needs a criminal justice system when we could have trial by internet forum. What a bizarre world we live in. I think you will find the criminal justice system has evolved in order to prevent judgment being made by hearsay but that seems to passed some people by in our post evidence and truth fake news world appealing to the worst traits of humanity.    

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:
15 minutes ago, Len said:

you probably need an 'allegedy' on the end of that sentence Len...

Not needed DM, as nothing I wrote was defamatory (KIO take note!).

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think Brexit is a little bit more than that. 

While it may sound harsh, the fate of that poor child is of zero relevance to my life, or I’d suspect anyone else’s on this board. (Not that personal relevance should be the judge of whether a thread stays or not). 

Sounds like there were some legally questionable comments made and the thread was pulled. Hardly the first time that has happened here. 

Brexit is a little bit more than that, but certainly a good % of the posts on that thread aren't any more than what I described.

There probably were some legally questionable comments made. I don't know. I didn't get a chance to see them, did you? 

There's been legally questionable comments made about our owners that have, and do remain, on this forum to this very day.

It's fine, I don't know how many replied but I'm guessing it was enough to suggest that people were interested. Lakey's comment about it not being relevant on a football forum doesn't stick - it's the case with plenty of threads on this forum and the great thing about it is you can choose to read them or not.

Edited by hogesar
SP

There were comments that were  defamatory and libellous. There were unsupported allegations made about the legality of some peoples' actions and I believe that they have already sued other outlets.

The forum hosts were inevitably going to remove the thread when they became aware of them and they would have been foolish not to have done.

On the broader issue alluded to, I see no problem in discussing non-footballing issues on a City fans website. We are a community united in support of a football club but otherwise with different views. It seems to me to be unnecessarily limiting to suggest that we can only discuss football, or more narrowly, Norwich City. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, every non football related topic should be moved to the 'Non-Football' section.

What is the point of splitting the forum into 'Main Discussion - Norwich City' and 'Non-Football' if we are going to have a 1600 page thread on brexit in the Norwich City side.

• Like 3

I guess this sprung up because of the new Netflix series on it?

I watched three episodes and turned it off. Just going over old ground that many have read about, heard about or discussed before. I thought it was pointless even bringing the documentary out, in all honesty.

A terrible incident, granted. But not really the place to discuss it here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Didn't take long for the Madeline thread to disappear. Not even to the non football section.  I didn't read anything offensive in it, just opinions. Free speech at its best. Oh and just to mention football, I reckon we're doing ok in the league at the moment.

One post at least was cast-iron defamatory. Nothing to do with the suppression of free speech. And anyone who thinks it was should apply the following test - would they be perfectly happy to be publicly accused of having committed more than one serious criminal offence when they had never been tried for such, let alone convicted?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

No sympathy for truly awful parents. Imagine earning so much money and publicity over the disappearance of your child. Disgusting.

I can;t tell if this is tongue in cheek but clearly if, as they claim, they had nothing to do with it then we should all have immense sympathy for them as they have suffered something that is unimaginable to most of us and not only that but been publically accused of doing it and will probably never be able to prove those accusations categorically wrong.

On the other hand if they are lying and did have something to do with it then that's a different matter although even if something accidental happened and they panicked then it may still be possible to have a degree of sympathy

The fact is none of us can tell however many documentaries we all watch or articles we read. Having seen some of the documentary there are some weird elements to the story (for example what was the point in locking the apartment if you are going to leave a patio door unlocked that can be accessed through a gate from the street and if that door was unlocked why would someone have needed to open the shutters) but probably with hindsight and with enough forensic analysis you can find elements of doubt or inconsistency in anyone's account of any situation.

Whats also true is that many people who state "i would never do that" in terms of leaving their kids unattended do so in the post Madeline McCann world where clearly there is a much increased and hightened sense of awareness of what can happen. Of course these days no responsible parent would do that precisely because of what happened with Madeline McCann and the fact there is so much awareness of it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I don't think anyone accused them of murder. Manslaughter followed by a cover up was the theory I believe.

Again, its an accusation of criminality that has been investigated with no charges. 

I don't get how people sitting at a computer seem to have so much more insight than people who were on the scene and paid to investigate it. 

• Like 2

I was the one last night who could see it was heading for a car crash and would be deleted when Pete the Deleter got to see it. I agree with the comments made by Lakey, Purple and Badger with regard to people sitting behind a computer making ill founded judgements and rash statements based on assumptions.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was the one last night who could see it was heading for a car crash and would be deleted when Pete the Deleter got to see it. I agree with the comments made by Lakey, Purple and Badger with regard to people sitting behind a computer making ill founded judgements and rash statements based on assumptions.

Who made these statements?

And how do we know they were rash or ill founded? Do we know how much research these posters have carried out to arrive at their conclusions? Or are we just assuming?

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Exactly, that's what the police are for. 

Just now, hogesar said:

And how do we know they were rash or ill founded? Do we know how much research these posters have carried out to arrive at their conclusions? Or are we just assuming?

Unlike you i read the posts and the content contained in them and made my judgement based on that as did at least three other posters. Trial by internet is dangerous to say the least.

• Like 1