CANARYKING

If Bolton go ....

55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rushden & Diamonds 2011

But weren't they in the Conference by then?

Aldershot. Early 90s.

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

If liquidated, the assets are sold off, the main ones presumably being the stadium, and player registrations (although those might be automatically terminated for breach of contract). The stadium could be sold and redeveloped for housing of course, but a 3rd party might be able to buy it - maybe the group that just dropped out from purchasing it - and start over with a new team called Bolton 2020 and either begin the long process of getting back into the league, or more likely negotiate with the league to say we are prepared to buy the assets and rebuild the club's playing staff only if it is a member of L1 for season 2019-2020.

The other local teams like Accrington, Bury or Rochdale are really too small to try and buy it and just absorb Bolton's fan base. The only other local option might be a take over by a Rugby team such as Sale Sharks. 

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

... and if the authorities are particularly harsh on Brum, 1p5wich could be 3rd bottom.... the great escape is on.😉

Not sure how harsh Brum would be hit but the Binners would surely still need to make up 12pts + GD in just 9 games for any great escape to be feasible ..........or am I missing something obvious there 😕

42 minutes ago, Bill said:

Maidstone, Scarborough, Chester, Halifax, Hereford

They're all relatively small clubs by comparison. The larger clubs with more illustrious histories do tend to get saved - Middlesbrough in the 80s, then Brighton in the 90s, Coventry, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. A club of Bolton's historical pedigree would surely get saved by someone?

Depends if the prospective owner is buying as a supporter, or buying for a financial gain. Object in first case is running without acquiring significant debt, object in second case is acquiring for a profit down the road, which as they will be in L1 also means no significant debt - they need to put any available money into the squad to first get back to the Championship, not debt repayments.

I don't see any reports they sold off the ground, hotel, training facilities or land, so they may be worth more than a Pound.

1 hour ago, C.I.D said:

Not sure how harsh Brum would be hit but the Binners would surely still need to make up 12pts + GD in just 9 games for any great escape to be feasible ..........or am I missing something obvious there 😕

7 games. One less because Bolton would be gone and they still have to play each other.

This link is to a statement by their chairman. It’s the training ground that’s been sold but he says all their other assets have been charged ie mortgaged meaning those debts can’t be got rid of by administration.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

They're all relatively small clubs by comparison. The larger clubs with more illustrious histories do tend to get saved - Middlesbrough in the 80s, then Brighton in the 90s, Coventry, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. A club of Bolton's historical pedigree would surely get saved by someone?

Does this mean that 1p5wich would more likely be saved ahead of us, because of their history?

12 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

ADJOURNED UNTIL APRIL 3

That's good news - I hope the club survives.

What has annoyed me over the last couple of days is how this near disaster has not been a little bit more prominent in the media. Every time I load up BBC Football or stick SSN on there's some love-in with Hudson-Odoi or Pogba and some stellar transfer gossip.

I may be knocking on a bit but there's more to football in my eyes and rarely follow the headlines any more. As Morrissey said, "It says nothing to me about my life".

I might change my mind next season but I think I'll still have trouble getting excited about the mega-rich clubs outside of us playing them.

Anyway - good luck for two weeks time Trotters!

39 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

That's good news - I hope the club survives.

What has annoyed me over the last couple of days is how this near disaster has not been a little bit more prominent in the media. Every time I load up BBC Football or stick SSN on there's some love-in with Hudson-Odoi or Pogba and some stellar transfer gossip.

I may be knocking on a bit but there's more to football in my eyes and rarely follow the headlines any more. As Morrissey said, "It says nothing to me about my life".

I might change my mind next season but I think I'll still have trouble getting excited about the mega-rich clubs outside of us playing them.

Anyway - good luck for two weeks time Trotters!

Agree with this, I have no interest in the Premiership when we're not there. I don't know who plays for who and I won't worry about it until we're up and the fixtures come out. 

Meanwhile, I'm hoping Bolton find a way out of this mess and survive, if only for their supporters who deserve better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Sadly it is of no real interest to Sky or BT, and probably BBC Sport - which is a crying shame and indicative of what is wrong with English football.  The Premiership is awash with multi-millions of pounds and players earning immoral amounts of money.  The FA, Premier League and broadcasters should be ashamed at how they ignore the rest of the football pyramid.

• Like 1

Truro City, nine miles from my house, play in National League South. Cornish Pirates, playing at Penzance, are in the Rugby Championship, one down from the Premiership. Neither have a ground suitable for them to move any higher. So they agreed to put in plans to share a Stadium for Cornwall in Truro three or four years ago. Spiv Cameron, a regular visitor to Cornwall for holidays and using the hospital for the birth of his child, promised at least £3M of Govt money if the rest of the, at the time £12M could be found.

So it was going to be Pirates @ £3M, Truro City  @ £3M, Cornwall College @ £3M and Cameron to supply the rest.

History has since meant that Truro no longer can sell their ground to raise the £3M, and the Govt has done FA (like the pun?).

So Pirates agreed to put up Truro City's £3M. But still the Govt has ignored them and I would imagine that inflation will mean that £12M will probably be insufficient to build the ground in its original form.

So now, Pirates have bought Truro City and are now the owners of the football ground. So we putting two and two together and for once it seems to make four. Pirates are will not get promoted to Rugby Prem this season anyway. And the Prem clubs want to have no promotion or relegation for the next three seasons anyway. So maybe Pirates can build a better stadium that currently sits on the Truro site for less money than the original £12M.

Maybe this is the way forward for clubs. Merge with other sporting associations in their area and share facilities and costs. Maybe for supporters of clubs like Bolton who have a fairly decent ground could share with Bury who don't and it would be a way for clubs to cut costs and stay in the black.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe this is the way forward for clubs. Merge with other sporting associations in their area and share facilities and costs. Maybe for supporters of clubs like Bolton who have a fairly decent ground could share with Bury who don't and it would be a way for clubs to cut costs and stay in the black.

I'm looking forward to seeing 1p5wich going to ColWho with cap in hand to share their Stadium. Not sure of the capacity but I'm sure they'll all fit in.

And now their players are going on strike for 48hrs over unpaid wages! Apparently the takeover was imminent 12 days ago, then on Wednesday it was 48 hours away and now the only dog in the race seems to be Laurence bassini who almost took Watford out of business, has been declared bankrupt twice and in 2013 banned from football. Even if this takeover happens it sounds like nothing more than jumping from frying pan to fire....

4 hours ago, cornish sam said:

And now their players are going on strike for 48hrs over unpaid wages! Apparently the takeover was imminent 12 days ago, then on Wednesday it was 48 hours away and now the only dog in the race seems to be Laurence bassini who almost took Watford out of business, has been declared bankrupt twice and in 2013 banned from football. Even if this takeover happens it sounds like nothing more than jumping from frying pan to fire....

Yes, but they're playing 1p5wich on Saturday, so no need to train.

• Haha 2

They might not be playing Ipswich on Saturday, as their ground is deemed unsafe for supporters. Could be played behind closed doors. 

I was listening to Talk Sport this morning and Sam Alladyce was on as a guest presenter. I would have absolutely grilled him on the Bolton situation. Perhaps I missed it, but wasn't he the reason why they got into financial trouble to begin with? Bringing in ageing hugely high salaried internationals a few years back whilst they were in the Prem. Players like Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro, Ba, Jardel and Bobic. Remember them? Ridiculous. Okocha was on a reported 80K a week, and this was in 2011.

6 minutes ago, ec-p said:

They might not be playing Ipswich on Saturday, as their ground is deemed unsafe for supporters. Could be played behind closed doors. 

Surely that only applies to Bolton supporters as there aren't likely to be any other supporters :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ec-p said:

If Ipswich's marketing team were smart they would offer to host Saturday's game at Portman Road along with free entrance for any Bolton supporters.

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

If Ipswich's marketing team were smart they would offer to host Saturday's game at Portman Road along with free entrance for any Bolton supporters.

The first six words negate the rest of your point Surfer.😁

Today’s papers say next two games behind closed doors, if they don’t play apparently the opponent gets a three nil win, be the binners biggest win of the season

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Today’s papers say next two games behind closed doors, if they don’t play apparently the opponent gets a three nil win, be the binners biggest win of the season

The Binners are so poor, they'll probably still lose.

• Haha 1