CANARYKING

If Bolton go ....

City, Leeds and Sheffield Utd all lose six points, plus W.B.A. only three. So not too much to worry about, is that what happens if they go in bust ?

19 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

City, Leeds and Sheffield Utd all lose six points, plus W.B.A. only three. So not too much to worry about, is that what happens if they go in bust ?

I think so.  According to EFL rule 12.2 Bolton's record would be "expunged" so the points would presumably be wiped off.  As you say, WBA would only lose 3 points but would still be 8 points behind us, so really not a concern for us, if anything it would add to the pressure on 3rd place Leeds.

Both us and Sheff U are +5 GD in our two games against Bolton, however, with Leeds just +2, so that would give a swing of +3 to Leeds' GD in this game of hypotheticals. (Hopefully, this scenario is just that...)

Still unfair though really on all the other clubs who played against them and players who scored v them losing goals; Given the amount of money in the game these days the FA really ought to have an emergency fund available for circumstances like this, with which they can take over a bankrupt club and run them under administration until the end of the season before dissolving them. Even if that required sacking the entire backroom staff, cutting the squad down to a bare minimum of 11 or 12 and using U-18s or semi-pros to make up the numbers on the bench, it would be better than winding up a club mid-season and affecting everyone else. If they took about half a percent of the Premier League's TV revenue deal each season, that would be more than enough to cover an emergency fund without having any noticeable effect on wealthy team's revenues. 

6 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

Still unfair though really on all the other clubs who played against them and players who scored v them losing goals; Given the amount of money in the game these days the FA really ought to have an emergency fund available for circumstances like this, with which they can take over a bankrupt club and run them under administration until the end of the season before dissolving them. Even if that required sacking the entire backroom staff, cutting the squad down to a bare minimum of 11 or 12 and using U-18s or semi-pros to make up the numbers on the bench, it would be better than winding up a club mid-season and affecting everyone else. If they took about half a percent of the Premier League's TV revenue deal each season, that would be more than enough to cover an emergency fund without having any noticeable effect on wealthy team's revenues. 

I suppose though that your scenario might entail a club saved by such a fund then having to field a weakened team, which of course could then underperform in the remaining fixtures and therefore distort the league over remaining games... 

Yep, true. There's no happy solution really in a situation like this - But I would honestly rather see that than have results wiped out. Somebody's going to be disadvantaged one way or another, and I'd say completing the season even in a weakened state has more sporting integrity if you like than just wiping the record and effectively pretending the matches never happened.

The only solution would be a yearly bond by each club to ensure they fund the entire season and only wind up in the close season.

Should think Nat Lofthouse one of England's greatest centre forwards is turning in his grave the way this great club has been run into the ground. Cannot understand it around 20 million potential punters within spitting distance

Would this also mean we get Remi Matthews back? At least his player registration (I can't imagine they paid any transfer fees due) 

13 minutes ago, daly said:

Should think Nat Lofthouse one of England's greatest centre forwards is turning in his grave the way this great club has been run into the ground. Cannot understand it around 20 million potential punters within spitting distance

Unfortunately, mostly them will supporters of the big two Manchester teams. 

That's also true for Wigan, Stockport, Bury. Oldham and Rochdale. It's both an opportunity and curse to be located where they are.

This is of course not great news for us, but come on people, in the scheme of things, the people we should be really feeling sorry for are the good supporters and people of Bolton! I couldn’t imagine the same thing happening to us, that is just unthinkable quite frankly, if it did then I’d support Norwich United. But screw a few clubs including us losing a few points or whatever (we’ll win the league anyway) - let’s have a heart folks because many good people, including that nice YouTube lass, could lose their ENTIRE club!! I really hope it works out ok for Bolton supporters, fingers crossed🤞 

• Like 7

Some Evanslike Shark will be waiting in the long grass until the last possible moment to make their move and 'save' them.

Could we not buy them out once we've won the league/secured promotion, League1 would be a great training ground for our 'b' team, and we'd have the added interest of playing the binners, Bolton Budgies anyone?( tongue firmly in cheek)

Its probably not allowed but the likes of Man City could easily afford to rescue Bolton if they so wished, Bolton debt must be small potatoes for them.

Surely the whole football scene in that area has become an outdated model with so many clubs so close together, all getting poor returns through the turn styles. There are so many other attractions nowadays to warrant such a cluster of professional clubs with the cloth cap, working man's concept of the game totally out of date. 

Rochdale and Bury are but a stone's throw from Bolton.It would have made sense in the recent past, with such changes being foreseen obviously, for some sort of amalgamation to have been conceived.

It didn't happen and probably never will because local pride, rivalry and history  always come to the fore. Poor business models perpetuated non-the -less.

P.S. I do predict that ITFC will eventually have to amalgamate with Col.U.though:classic_biggrin::classic_cool:

• Haha 1

Sky Sports report that a winding-up petition against Wanderers has been set at the High Court for Wednesday, and if it is successful they could go into administration.

Such an outcome would lead to Bolton being deducted 12 points, sending them bottom of the Championship and all but confirming their relegation.

How many clubs have actually gone out of business? Most are living hand to mouth. And they are punished more severely than Prem clubs because their financial positions are more precarious.

So football certainly mirrors life.

So in a nutshell if Bolton go out of business we lose 6 points which changes nothing at the top of the table as our fellow Premiership chasers suffer that same fate but if they are placed in administration they get deducted 12 points which gets Scum off the bottom of the table.

Edited by TIL 1010

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So in a nutshell if Bolton go out of business we lose 6 points which changes nothing at the top of the table as our fellow Premiership chasers suffer that same fate but if they are placed in administration they get deducted 12 points which gets Scum off the bottom of the table.

The Scum don't deserve to be off the bottom, they're utter crap. 

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

... and if the authorities are particularly harsh on Brum, 1p5wich could be 3rd bottom.... the great escape is on.😉

I probably dreamt this but I thought that if they'd played 75% of their games then their record stood, though like I said I probably dreamt this!

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

How many clubs have actually gone out of business? Most are living hand to mouth. And they are punished more severely than Prem clubs because their financial positions are more precarious.

So football certainly mirrors life.

Rushden & Diamonds 2011

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

No need to panic. We will keep the points. Someone will buy Bolton for £1 and they will carry on.

It might not be quite that simple. The Bolton forums seem to think that they can't actually be classed as a going concern and if people start looking at the books properly then there could be no option for administration due to accounting reasons I don't understand and there's some oddness  about the control of the shares still being controlled by the Davies family. Have a look at the last few pages of the thread I linked and the thread the refer to on another forum. If I were a Bolton fan I would be very concerned based on them...

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

It might not be quite that simple. The Bolton forums seem to think that they can't actually be classed as a going concern and if people start looking at the books properly then there could be no option for administration due to accounting reasons I don't understand and there's some oddness  about the control of the shares still being controlled by the Davies family. Have a look at the last few pages of the thread I linked and the thread the refer to on another forum. If I were a Bolton fan I would be very concerned based on them...

Bolton's debt was way over a £100m when they were in the PL. Like our impoverished neighbours they were living way betond their means - and as with the paupers it is not certain who owns what.

Hopefully it will only be administration and a points deduction, with the latter being no great shakes as they were going down. Better points deduction now rather than next season.

As with many of these 'hinvestors' and owners they are in it solely for what they can make - and fans suffer because they are daft enough to swallow the PR put out and delude themselves that no one could be so naughty as to see thir well loved club as a means to extract as much money as possible.

Marcus Evans runs arms fairs, has a history of dodgy ticket selling......but supposedly leaves all that behind to financially back the dreams of a few thousand dimwitted farmhands.

My ar.se he does