Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Birmingham City.... - 12 points?

...rumoured to be docked 12 points for FFP irregularities.

This would put them just 2 points above the relegation zone and into a relegation battle.....dont they still have to play leeds and sheff utd?

All of a sudden there's a mid table side who would otherwise have been on the beach now fighting for their lives?

It looks like there may well be some substance to these rumours, though some reports suggest the panel may take weeks to decide, meaning that such a deduction could be applied next season. (I guess worse case for us would be the quick imposition of a 12-point deduction on them next season...) In any case, however, knowing a docking might potentially be coming, will hopefully incentivise them in their upcoming games: WBA (A) on 29/3, then Leeds (H) on 6/4 and Sheff U (H) on 10/4... 

(Plus Che Adams will hopefully be wanting to put himself in the shop window too...)

Edited by Grando

May be complicated even further if Bolton Wanderers go into liquidation this week. Bolton would therefore drop out of the league, so presumably all the results against Bolton would become null and void, so Norwich would lose 6 points for a start. No idea what results Brum had with Bolton or if these rumours have substance. Just have to wait and see.

Looks like Bolton beat Birmingham twice, and they also beat WBA once, but lost both games v Norwich, Sheff Utd and Leeds. So we could be 3 points closer to WBA if this does happen.

1 hour ago, Essjayess said:

May be complicated even further if Bolton Wanderers go into liquidation this week. Bolton would therefore drop out of the league, so presumably all the results against Bolton would become null and void, so Norwich would lose 6 points for a start. No idea what results Brum had with Bolton or if these rumours have substance. Just have to wait and see.

City, Leeds and Sheffield Utd would lose six, WBA three

13 minutes ago, The Great Drinkell said:

Bolton out of the league and Brum reduction of 12pts - this couldn't mean salvation for Ipswich and play offs for City... that just couldn't happen could it?

I'd hope not! Certainly, I think Brum would be good enough still to stay above the Binners, even with a 12-point penalty. Plus the Binners would lose one of their few precious points which they'd accumulated against Bolton in the one game they've played against them.

(Bolton's winding-up would cost Ipswich one of their best chances of picking up 3 points in the game they've yet to play too. And I presume that if Bolton were extinguished then their ghost would fill one of the relegation spots, meaning that Binners would still have to finish above two other sides...)

Edited by Grando

Would that also mean there would be one less relegation spot from L1? That division would be a team short if only the ghost of Bolton were relegated from the Championship. Ditto for L2 as well...

For many reasons let's just hope Bolton get a reprieve. But above all for their fans.

Just now, Grando said:

For many reasons let's just hope Bolton get a reprieve. But above all for their fans.

Agree. Rivalries and rewards aside, this would be dreadful for fans and football alike.

Agreed. I really liked the Bolton blogger who had such passion for her club and was very knowledgable about other clubs as well. It would be terrible for genuine supporters like her if they disappeared 

• Like 1

Dont think the football league would allow a club to just drop out of the league with just 8 games left thus distorting all manner of stats.

I'm sure they'll find some way of allowing them to limp through to the end of the season.....although goodness knows what state they'll be in at the start of next season in league one/if at all

I think you have to be right here. They would have to limp home across the last 8 games in some manner else many clubs both top and bottom would be disadvantsged and it would make a  mockery of the table.

Going forward I think the FA shouldn't allow any club to start a league season without a clean bill of financial health.

41 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think you have to be right here. They would have to limp home across the last 8 games in some manner else many clubs both top and bottom would be disadvantsged and it would make a  mockery of the table.

Going forward I think the FA shouldn't allow any club to start a league season without a clean bill of financial health.

Agree with this, too many Clubs have been allowed to operate on a minus for too long. Looks like it's all falling apart for more than just a few Clubs, this could be just the beginning. 

I suspect this will be another 11th hour deal, as I don't think HMRC is owed as much as in other cases.

There appears to be a number of interested parties who no doubt will be seeing this as brinkmanship to get the best price as far as buying or selling goes.

I shall fore go the usual cautionary advice about 'hinvestors' and just hope they are still a going concern by Thursday.

Though maybe if it is a points deduction they might want it now rather than next season - though I'm not sure if is possible for them to wangle that.

If they do go to the wall, and I hope it doesn’t happen, wouldn’t it be fairer to treat any remaining games Bolton have as 3 points for whoever plays them? Chances are that is what would have happened and it fairly reflects the previous actual results.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If they do go to the wall, and I hope it doesn’t happen, wouldn’t it be fairer to treat any remaining games Bolton have as 3 points for whoever plays them? Chances are that is what would have happened and it fairly reflects the previous actual results.

That would, at least, give the Binners a win and a reason to build another statue!

• Haha 1

Bad news for those that have yet to play Birmingham. This may convert them into a siege mentality team for the final 8 games to confirm survival. They won't go down. It's gonna be tough for our rivals now.

Edited by Michael Starr

5 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Nine point deduction followed by WBA, Leeds and Sheff Utd - tough few weeks for the blues.

...5 points off relegation, should still keep their focus for the Sheff Utd and Leeds games

If they avoid relegation then I don't see this being a punishment that fits the crime. To deter other clubs from ridiculous overspending then relegation should be the punishment. A points reduction only becomes a serious punishment if it results in relegation or prevents a promotion.

16 minutes ago, Red Rufus said:

If they avoid relegation then I don't see this being a punishment that fits the crime. To deter other clubs from ridiculous overspending then relegation should be the punishment. A points reduction only becomes a serious punishment if it results in relegation or prevents a promotion.

You could argue that this has prevented promition as playoffs is out of the window...the maximum they could have been punished for this is 12, which is what the prosecutors pushed for....they still may be dragged into a relegation fight

They have had serious problems with owners and FFP for a while. And as Double N allude to, a rich owner does guarantee anything and he could have got his money from illegal or questionable sources.