Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Are we powderpuff? Discuss

Reading comments elsewhere, and having listened to the Rotherham commentary today, there's a definite theme amongst non-Norwich supporters that we go down easily and play up to the referee. Obviously my first instinct is to say that's b******s and it's skilful players who are constantly moving and light on their feet who are the most prone to falling on physical contact, so what we're seeing is a result of the great players we have and the way we play. To the contrary, I didn't feel that the ref protected us enough today. But am I just guilty of bias (as is true for the comments of fans of other teams). What's the honest, unbiased view - if anyone can genuinely claim one?

It can look like we go down easily, but we are so quick on our feet that opposition players can't cope with it and either get frustrated or are just too slow in their tackles that they catch the player instead of the ball.

Buendia is too quick witted for many Champs defenders so they foul him. 

And he is going to have the same problem next year in the Premier😉

• Like 1

We're certainly more 'professional' than we were last season. Buendia and Hernandez will happily hit the deck if they feel the need but I don't think we're any worse offenders than most teams.

I think we play the game, but definitely no more than anyone else.

• Like 1

I think we play the game as much as any other side. There definitely used to be a culture of "oh you don't expect that from teams like Norwich" we were a little too nice. Don't really care what fans of other teams think of us, we're the ones top of the league.

• Like 1

Definitely more "continental flair" from us this season, although I can't remember anyone diving for penalties or anything too blatant. It's the same with time wasting - everyone does it and while it'd be nice to take the moral high ground, I'd rather take being competitive thanks.

Funny how against Swansea it didn't happen, can't remember many more than 5-6 fouls given to us that evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Reading comments elsewhere, and having listened to the Rotherham commentary today, there's a definite theme amongst non-Norwich supporters that we go down easily and play up to the referee. Obviously my first instinct is to say that's b******s and it's skilful players who are constantly moving and light on their feet who are the most prone to falling on physical contact, so what we're seeing is a result of the great players we have and the way we play. To the contrary, I didn't feel that the ref protected us enough today. But am I just guilty of bias (as is true for the comments of fans of other teams). What's the honest, unbiased view - if anyone can genuinely claim one?

The fact that the comment has been repeated must say something. WBA beat Rotherham 4-0 earlier this season and didn't resort to falling over at the slightest provocation.

Your right back had an outstanding game today and without his contribution you would have looked bang-average.

Just telling it as I see it.

• Haha 1

millerrafe, a small passage pf play. 5 attempted fouls. 1 foul. It looks like players getting frustrated by better players.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, millerrafe said:

The fact that the comment has been repeated must say something. WBA beat Rotherham 4-0 earlier this season and didn't resort to falling over at the slightest provocation.

Your right back had an outstanding game today and without his contribution you would have looked bang-average.

Yeah, no.

• Haha 1

To be honest I couldn’t give a **** what other teams fans think, I’ll put a lot of it down to being jealous of our position. As for Rotherham’s accusations of our running the clock down, are you telling me that if Rotherham were 2-1 up going into the final stages of the game that they wouldn’t be doing the same? Of cause they would. I watched the game on a stream and yes there were a few fouls that were given that were maybe harsh but it didn’t warrant anywhere near the salty reaction their fans have made of it. Maybe it’s a Yorkshire thing....

• Like 1

I don't think its a coincidence that the games where our fouls on us are at their highest coincide with teams at the lower end of the table.

It's a natural result of playing a fluid, short passing attacking game. We also only have Stiepermann as a real physical outlet, the rest of our attacking players such as Pukki, Buendia and Cantwell rely on technique and flair. That naturally induces more fouls. 

Despite all of that, Rotherham committed 13 fouls and we committed 7. Nothing extraordinary. Hull committed 17 fouls on us before that.

Also, Millerrafe's reference to West Brom is as irrelevant as me saying Millwall committed less fouls on us, Rotherham are clearly a dirty team and should be banned from the EFL...

The pattern of a game will often dictate how often or not fouling happens, as well as the personal decision making of a ref. Our game was close throughout and will generally have more fouls than if, for example, we went 2-0 up inside 20 minutes as West Brom did.

21 minutes ago, millerrafe said:

You're right - it does say something. There's a lot of fans who have a hard time accepting it when their team is beaten by one which is clearly more skilful than their's. 

• Like 1

Speaking of salty, this was the tweet at full time from the clubs twitter page.

FT| Millers 1 v 2 Norwich.

The visitors rolled out all of the game management tricks in the book towards the end, which is a testament to how well the Millers performed. #rufc

I

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're right - it does say something. There's a lot of fans who have a hard time accepting it when their team is beaten by one which is clearly more skilful than their's. 

Not denying that Norwich have far superior players, as one might expect given the respective budgets.

1 minute ago, millerrafe said:

Not denying that Norwich have far superior players, as one might expect given the respective budgets.

Our budget isn't massive. Our team today cost about £4-5m which I appreciate is more than you guys will spend, but it's hardly David and Goliath. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, hope you stay up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JF said:

Speaking of salty, this was the tweet at full time from the clubs twitter page.

FT| Millers 1 v 2 Norwich.

The visitors rolled out all of the game management tricks in the book towards the end, which is a testament to how well the Millers performed. #rufc

I

I mean, we did, to be fair. And we'll make no apologies for it.

• Like 1

We're not minted mate. We have spent more than you, but not by massive amounts. Very good scouting and coaching have got us to where we are.

6 minutes ago, millerrafe said:

Fair enough - for what it's worth I want Rotherham to stay up. Got a lot of respect for Paul Warne (not just because he's a Norwich fan) and I think Rotherham have done really well to get promoted last season and to be in with a shout of staying up this season. 

Rotherham looked and played like a team in the bottom 3.

Made things difficult by being direct and physical, but in the end had very little quality. We should have had 4 or 5.

5 minutes ago, splutcho said:

Our budget isn't massive. Our team today cost about £4-5m which I appreciate is more than you guys will spend, but it's hardly David and Goliath. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, hope you stay up.

Thanks. I would like to see Norwich promoted as I like the quality of your footy, and I live in Norfolk.

Just don't like losing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Rotherham looked and played like a team in the bottom 3.

Made things difficult by being direct and physical, but in the end had very little quality. We should have had 4 or 5.

1 - no we didn't. Crass comment.

2 - different styles according to what you've got. Yes, you had the opportunities, but what counts is the result.

Ironic the Yorkie mentions WBA as not resorting to anything at the New York.

They certainly went down easily when we played them at the Hawthorns. And the ref bought it. Plus a couple of weeks later Mr Gayle was banned for diving in another game. Sour grapes comes to mind.

Just calling it as I saw it, didn't see a whole lot except huff and puff.

Thought we played the better stuff and comfortably deserved the win off the balance of chances.

It isn’t exactly rocket science that ALL sides the world over would revert to ‘running down the clock’ mode to protect what they’ve got in the last few minutes of a game - via legitimate means; it’s not the remotest surprise that we used all our subs having not done so until the 90th minute.  It is pretty-much a compliment that we did managed things so well today - many of our sides in previous years were crap at it.

Absolute tosh.  Was at the match today and every foul was deserved.  Opposition shout cos they've no way else to compete.  Emi reminds me of Maradona - yes he's that good!

To do well in this league you have to be streetwise. We maybe lacked it last season, but we've got it right this season. Every team does it, but we've got the ball more and have players that do more with the ball.