hogesar

4 Home Games Left..

We would all much prefer to be in our position than anyone else’s.  No games are easy and anyone could slip up anywhere (eg Leeds at QPR) so the cushion to 2nd is most welcome - but hopefully not needed

If Leeds draw 2 of their remains games and win the other 6 we would need 16 points from our remaining games to be assured of promotion. That's 4W-4D or 5W-1D-2L. Put this way it doesn't look so demanding a task.

Some pantwetting going on here. However it is a little stressful. If ve fail from here we don't deserve it. Just win the next 8 and get to 100 points and goals. 

26 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

If Leeds draw 2 of their remains games and win the other 6 we would need 16 points from our remaining games to be assured of promotion. That's 4W-4D or 5W-1D-2L. Put this way it doesn't look so demanding a task.

I like this theory very much!

I must admit our run in, a few weeks ago, on paper, looked better at that time - or is that just me thinking this? Now a few of those teams are looking a more difficult proposition, with some gaining form and even revived hopes of a play off place. I’m still confident we’ll do it, but I don’t think we necessarily have as easy a run in as some of our rivals are claiming.

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I must admit our run in, a few weeks ago, on paper, looked better at that time - or is that just me thinking this? Now a few of those teams are looking a more difficult proposition, with some gaining form and even revived hopes of a play off place. I’m still confident we’ll do it, but I don’t think we necessarily have as easy a run in as some of our rivals are claiming.

I think a month or two ago, the prospect of playing Sheff Wed and Villa looked a little more appealing

Just now, splutcho said:

I think a month or two ago, the prospect of playing Sheff Wed and Villa looked a little more appealing

Yep, neither were going anywhere at that point but they have picked right up, we certainly have some tricky games to navigate, make no mistake. If we win this league then we will certainly have earned it no matter what anyone says 👍

And I think a month ago the prospect of playing Middlesbrough away was a little more unnerving that it may seem now.

Fact is we are the best team in the league and we WILL achieve what we all want. Our part as supporters is to communicate confidence (not arrogance) to the team in all the remaining games, and keep any nervousness we may have to ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

And I think a month ago the prospect of playing Middlesbrough away was a little more unnerving that it may seem now.

Fact is we are the best team in the league and we WILL achieve what we all want. Our part as supporters is to communicate confidence (not arrogance) to the team in all the remaining games, and keep any nervousness we may have to ourselves. 

It's alright I don't think they're reading the Pink'Un.

• Haha 1

We also have to take into account that every team in the league raises their game against the mighty Leeds,  as it’s such a glamorous tie they see it as their cup final....

• Haha 2

Leeds picked up 15 points from their previous 8 games, which is roughly their season average. If they repeat that over the next 8 then we need just 11 points. 89 should be enough.

• Like 1

Leeds are a very erratic team.

They lost nine games: to us, Sheffield United, WBA but also Birmingham, Blackburn, QPR, Forest, Hull and Stoke.

They've got Millwall (H), Birmingham (A), Preston (A), Sheff Wed (H), Wigan (H), Brentford (A), Villa (H) and Ipswich (A)

Four wins takes us to 90, and five wins to 93. Six wins takes Leeds to 91.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We would all much prefer to be in our position than anyone else’s.  No games are easy and anyone could slip up anywhere (eg Leeds at QPR) so the cushion to 2nd is most welcome - but hopefully not needed

Shhhhh! You'll have Making Plans after you!

Not sure on the need to focus on home games, I'm just looking at the next game. Win that and with 81 points, we won't need four home wins, we just need to pick up points wherever we can....starting with Middlesborough.

• Like 1

Out of interest.

Average ppg of our respective final opponents (adjusted by home/away records to fit fixtures):

LEEDS 1.15 

SHEFF U 1.25

NORWICH 1.28

Same stats, home games only:

LEEDS 0.68

NORWICH, SHEFF U      0.95

Not much in it. Note also these are whole-season points for the various opposing teams, not recent ppg form.

We are a modest bunch.

If Leeds were in our position they've have ironed Premier League badges on to their shirts already.

Contrary to what the Leeds lot say, we are not here by luck, we've done fantastically well to be where we are and have at least a two game cushion (lets be honest both Leeds and Sheff U are not going to win every game) 

We have just got to keep doing what we have been doing.

Lets have some positvity!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

We are a modest bunch.

If Leeds were in our position they've have ironed Premier League badges on to their shirts already.

Contrary to what the Leeds lot say, we are not here by luck, we've done fantastically well to be where we are and have at least a two game cushion (lets be honest both Leeds and Sheff U are not going to win every game) 

We have just got to keep doing what we have been doing.

Lets have some positvity!

On social media, they had already ironed on the badges in September, it was just hilarious. The WACCOE message board, where every other word starts with C and ends with T, is something else. Apparently we, and other teams, are so lucky - I’m guessing they’ve not seen our penalties this season then?! It is very amusing reading what excuses they can come up with next for other teams that have been better than them - they are like Jurgen Klopp on acid. 

55 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Out of interest.

Average ppg of our respective final opponents (adjusted by home/away records to fit fixtures):

LEEDS 1.15 

SHEFF U 1.25

NORWICH 1.28

Same stats, home games only:

LEEDS 0.68

NORWICH, SHEFF U      0.95

Not much in it. Note also these are whole-season points for the various opposing teams, not recent ppg form.

Yeah that’s an average but Keeds and Sheffield u both play 1p5wich which skews their average down, they can each only beat 1p5wich once!

more meaningful is to look at teams league placing which sho s our run in is less difficult.

But there are ......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JF said:

We also have to take into account that every team in the league raises their game against the mighty Leeds,  as it’s such a glamorous tie they see it as their cup final....

This is a comment regularly spilled out on LUTV, that everyone raises their game because it's Leeds. Also the authorities are against them because they are a financial draw card in the Championship, just writing this is weird, imagine this being your actual mindset. 

Hope the Manager and the players do not read this board as everyone seems to think its a forgone conclusion that Premiership football next season is assured. LONG WAY to go yet

22 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

This is a comment regularly spilled out on LUTV, that everyone raises their game because it's Leeds. Also the authorities are against them because they are a financial draw card in the Championship, just writing this is weird, imagine this being your actual mindset. 

We also need to factor in our lucky win at ellend road and our numerous lucky late winners. If it wasn’t for Pukki, Bundia and Stiepemanns goals we’d be nowhere near them. And don’t get me started on how unlucky they have been with injuries. If it hadn’t been for all those injuries, and if they had taken 98% of the chances they have created they would be 15 points clear now...

Edited by JF
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, daly said:

Hope the Manager and the players do not read this board as everyone seems to think its a forgone conclusion that Premiership football next season is assured. LONG WAY to go yet

Eh?

Its actually quite the opposite, were very much a glass half empty lot.

42 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yeah that’s an average

more meaningful is to look at teams league placing which sho s our run in is less difficult.

If you rank the clubs by points per game, that does pretty much give you league position. 😀

But the above is more refined as it accounts for different home and away performance. Eg LU have to play Wigan at home, whose away record is actually worse than I****h’s.

Here’s the ppg ranges since you dislike averages:

LEEDS home 0.32-1.32, away 0.84-1.89

SHEFF U home 0.42-1.65, away 1.37-1.68

NORWICH home 0.79-1.21, away 1.5-1.74 

1 hour ago, JF said:

We also need to factor in our lucky win at ellend road and our numerous lucky late winners. If it wasn’t for Pukki, Bundia and Stiepemanns goals we’d be nowhere near them. And don’t get me started on how unlucky they have been with injuries. If it hadn’t been for all those injuries, and if they had taken 98% of the chances they have created they would be 15 points clear now...

My favourite one was when roofer got injured and someone tried to claim that their injuries were a conspiracy against them by the powers that be... He did get shot down pretty quickly, but still sums up their mindset.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

If you rank the clubs by points per game, that does pretty much give you league position. 😀

But the above is more refined as it accounts for different home and away performance. Eg LU have to play Wigan at home, whose away record is actually worse than I****h’s.

Here’s the ppg ranges since you dislike averages:

LEEDS home 0.32-1.32, away 0.84-1.89

SHEFF U home 0.42-1.65, away 1.37-1.68

NORWICH home 0.79-1.21, away 1.5-1.74 

No my point is that if you look at averages then it’s skewed by playing one (or two) really poorly performing teams. You can only beat them once.

whats more useful IMO is to look at how many top 6/top half teams you have to play, and how many lower down, ie how many actual difficult  games you have, which is what actually matters, not the average points or ppg over all your opponents which is dragged down by one really awful side. . What it comes down to is that Leeds and Sheffield U have more of those difficult games than we do. Leeds have played one of their hard fixtures on Saturday though 😯

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

What it comes down to is that Leeds and Sheffield U have more of those difficult games than we do. Leeds have played one of their hard fixtures on Saturday though 😯

...and lost it.😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

whats more useful IMO is to look at how many top 6/top half teams you have to play, and how many lower down, ie how many actual difficult  games you have, which is what actually matters, not the average points or ppg over all your opponents which is dragged down by one really awful side. . What it comes down to is that Leeds and Sheffield U have more of those difficult games than we do. Leeds have played one of their hard fixtures on Saturday though 😯

But GenerationA47 has a fair point about home and away surely? For instance, 'Boro (5th) are also 5th in the current Away Table, but only 16th in the Home Table. Do they count as difficult for us or not?