The game against Hull threw the 'Tim Krul' debate widely out into the open. Every website, podcast, Youtube channel and even the Q and A with Stewart Webber have discussed the keeper's mistake and the crowd reaction to it. 

I understand both sides of the story.

I like Krul as a person and a player. He has made some excellent saves and his kicking abilities are particularly noticeable when Michael McGovern plays in the cup. He apparently an important member of the squad behind the scenes  and his experience shines through when we're managing the game in the latter stages.

The crowd reaction to his next kick wasn't the most supportive, either.

However, on the fans' side, Hull's first goal wasn't the first time that he's made a mistake. That was their first shot on target and it certainly put us under completely unnecessary pressure. The mistake in our previous gave vs Swansea (which we luckily didn't concede from) wasn't his second of the season either. 

I guess the question I'm asking is: whilst people are pointing out that TK has saved us more points than he has cost us, is that going to be the same case next season, if we get to the Premier League? Will his PL experience be invaluable or will he make costly errors in a division where our goal will be under a lot more pressure when we're against some of the most clinical players in the world? 

With Michael McGovern probably leaving at the end of the season, will we be looking for a new number 1 or a new back-up keeper looking to challenge for the shirt?

Another Krul bashing post, do me a favour. He's our best option for the remainder of the season. Yes he'll probably need some competition next year whichever League we're in. Is it too much to ask for you to support the Team? That's all of them, just for the next nine games, to see us over the line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A handful of games left. Give it a rest. Who knows who will be available and from where and at what cost. Let Webber and Farke do the thinking in the Summer and enjoy a crucial match day today.

PS I am glad you got his name right though!👍

Edited by Drazen Muzinic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Splendid Rush It's called a balanced argument. Hence the "I see both side of the story" part - along with Krul's pros and cons. 

I was just interested in people's opinions - it could well be that 99% of people threw their support behind Krul for next season, making it a positive thread. 

Of course it's SW and DF's job for the summer, and I trust they'll do a good job, as per usual. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

@Splendid Rush It's called a balanced argument. Hence the "I see both side of the story" part - along with Krul's pros and cons. 

I was just interested in people's opinions - it could well be that 99% of people threw their support behind Krul for next season, making it a positive thread. 

Of course it's SW and DF's job for the summer, and I trust they'll do a good job, as per usual. 

This has been done to death already on several other threads, nothing new here, if you want 'balanced argument ' how about balancing it by saying, despite his frailties, he's part of a side, currently top and looking down on everyone else. Nine games left and with a bit of support, could help us over the line. 

I don't disagree with that at all. 

I didn't say it because the post was about next season. 

In hindsight, it was probably a post for the end of the season.

Here's to 3 points today!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I don't disagree with that at all. 

I didn't say it because the post was about next season. 

In hindsight, it was probably a post for the end of the season.

Here's to 3 points today!

Bring it back in July Y & G, I reckon you'll get a different response!

For much of today, I'll be hiding behind the sofa until we have extended the gap between top and third.

I'll probably bump into Ricardo and one or two others!

54 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

The game against Hull threw the 'Tim Krul' debate widely out into the open. Every website, podcast, Youtube channel and even the Q and A with Stewart Webber have discussed the keeper's mistake and the crowd reaction to it. 

I understand both sides of the story.

I like Krul as a person and a player. He has made some excellent saves and his kicking abilities are particularly noticeable when Michael McGovern plays in the cup. He apparently an important member of the squad behind the scenes  and his experience shines through when we're managing the game in the latter stages.

The crowd reaction to his next kick wasn't the most supportive, either.

However, on the fans' side, Hull's first goal wasn't the first time that he's made a mistake. That was their first shot on target and it certainly put us under completely unnecessary pressure. The mistake in our previous gave vs Swansea (which we luckily didn't concede from) wasn't his second of the season either. 

I guess the question I'm asking is: whilst people are pointing out that TK has saved us more points than he has cost us, is that going to be the same case next season, if we get to the Premier League? Will his PL experience be invaluable or will he make costly errors in a division where our goal will be under a lot more pressure when we're against some of the most clinical players in the world? 

With Michael McGovern probably leaving at the end of the season, will we be looking for a new number 1 or a new back-up keeper looking to challenge for the shirt?

🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway, on to Rotherham today where Tim will no doubt make many more crucial saves just like he has all season - of course, just like ANY OTHER keeper, he is not infallible but I bet we’d have conceded a lot more goals with another keeper at number 1 this season, we’re not exactly set up to be a defensive team are we? Otherwise I totally agree, we need to sign that mythical mistake free goalkeeper - and a unicorn 👍

• Like 1

This Krul bashing is surely a sign that most of our scapegoats have left and as we sit top of the league there is little for people to moan about. If you look at the number of passes Krul receives and makes during a game he is bound to make the odd mistake as all keepers do nowadays as fewer and fewer look to thump it into the stands. Yes, he has made three big mistakes in the last two games but the one that cost us a goal still had lots to do to score with an excellent first touch and finish. We cannot have it all ways, we try to play out from the back at all times, when it works it results in fantastic football, when it doesn't it gives chances to the opposition, it is something we will have to live with so enjoy it.

• Like 2

Farke has asked for no more of these types of fan comments. Don’t destroy what we have this is a team with no individuals.

I saw Krul at his best at Newcastle where he was a commanding figure, he is not half the player he was and sure he will admit his days as No.1 are limited. See this season out and take his wages sitting on the bench next season

If we and hopefully get Premiership football next season then we need to splash out big money for a top keeper but till then BACK Tim and give him the confidence to see us into TP

20 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Thought he did okay today, that punch at the end, vital. 

It was a huge punch (figuratively) at a crucial time and a perfect example of how his experience has benefited us us this season.

He came off his line and took control at a very precarious time. Something that takes huge courage to do as a keeper at a time in the game that a mistake could cost you the win and maybe even lead to a loss, it happens. Very courageous keeping which gets little recognition.

• Like 1

Great keeper, and for someone who spent so long at Newcastle, it is noticeable that his blood is starting to turn yellow and green. The players that show true passion for our club such as Tim without all this fake kissing the badge stuff always become favourites of mine, he might have been a Magpie once but I get the impression from his tweets that he’s definitely a Canary now.

To the next season question. Krul will be here, and probably start. We lose McGovern anyway, so let's leave it to Webber and Farke to make the call about how they strengthen the squad. Loyalty to existing players and the team spirit that engenders goes a long way with this management team. I suspect the same will be true next year whatever budget they are working with.

• Like 1

Pink Un saying that we're linked with Henderson, currently on loan at Blades, Man U will probably want to step up his development next year by finding him a Club in the Premiership. 

Not sure we'll get him, especially if Blades are promoted but it shows that we're not standing still regarding 'keepers for next season. 

8 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Pink Un saying that we're linked with Henderson, currently on loan at Blades, Man U will probably want to step up his development next year by finding him a Club in the Premiership. 

Not sure we'll get him, especially if Blades are promoted but it shows that we're not standing still regarding 'keepers for next season. 

Yes "linked" by, er, the Sun on Sunday. The mind boggles at what we might be reading on here by the time we get into the second week of the international break. This is only the first day .................... 🙄 😉

• Like 1

Y and.G, how very dare you to have an opinion? To make matters worse you even want to bl**dy well express it. And on a public forum to boot! Is there no end to your outrageous behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Y and.G, how very dare you to have an opinion? To make matters worse you even want to bl**dy well express it. And on a public forum to boot! Is there no end to your outrageous behaviour.

100% this.

What was Yellow and Green thinking! Doesn't he know his place? Next time get permission from the forum police prior to posting.

OTBC

This guy is a good goalkeeper and an important part of the squad behind the scenes! He's got experience and he will grow in his role als the number one of NCFC ! I've forgotten about the odd mistake , I remember the saves he's made to keep us in games (Bristol game, Millwall game, Brentford, etc...)!

He should be our number one if we get promoted. That doesn't mean we don't have to sign a goalkeeper, as I don't like our back-up...

No point in doing the debate any further for now, he;s our number 1 and will be for the rest of the season. pretty clear though that of the positions that will need strengthening for next season if we are in the prem GK is one of them. I also thought he could have perhaps saved that goal on saturday but all about opinions. 

A few bad goalkeeping mistakes over the weekend probably due to weather conditions but Remi Matthews gets the award for biggest gaff, ironically he looked round and did not see the Wigan player

Edited by daly

On 16/03/2019 at 13:51, Red Rufus said:

This Krul bashing is surely a sign that most of our scapegoats have left and as we sit top of the league there is little for people to moan about. If you look at the number of passes Krul receives and makes during a game he is bound to make the odd mistake as all keepers do nowadays as fewer and fewer look to thump it into the stands. Yes, he has made three big mistakes in the last two games but the one that cost us a goal still had lots to do to score with an excellent first touch and finish. We cannot have it all ways, we try to play out from the back at all times, when it works it results in fantastic football, when it doesn't it gives chances to the opposition, it is something we will have to live with so enjoy it.

My view is that anybody involved in getting us to the Premier League has the right to compete there and see how they do. I've no doubt Krul will be fine there. He was good enough to fight his way to number one position at a Premier League club and stay there for many years. He was good enough to play for Holland all of the way to the world cup semi finals in 2014. He is perfectly decent and his game has raised over the course of the season. A terrific person to boot.

If we stay in the championship then keep him as our number one. 

If we go up then sign Angus Gunn back, as he isn't getting games, and leave Krul as a great number two/competition 

Sorted...

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If we stay in the championship then keep him as our number one. 

If we go up then sign Angus Gunn back, as he isn't getting games, and leave Krul as a great number two/competition 

Sorted...

Gunn is the current Southampton number 1 and has played the last six games or so...