Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

How important is yellow and green to you?

Just watched the first episode of 'Formula 1 - Drive to Survive ' on Netflix. Got talking with the missus about Formula 1 teams of old, and how teams changed their racing colours. Got thinking about Cardiff when they changed to red.

I hate it when sporting teams change their colours. To me it is a major part of their identity and their brand.

How upset would you be if Norwich announced they were going to play in a different colour?

Me personally, I would be gutted. If we were one of the multitude of teams that played in red I perhaps wouldnt be too bothered, but yellow and green is unique in English football, it's one of the things that makes us distinct. 

Is it just a colour for other fans, or does it matter to you?

Like you say it is unique, at least in the top two divisions and is a talismatic colour scheme, colours that make us instantly recogniseable.  We have colours that mark us out from the rest and they should always be the number one kit.

I thinks there’s some on here will have to disagree, as they probably watched when we were wearing black shorts with our yeallow tops.

I think you grow to love certain kits and for me the 1981 Adidas kit will always be my favourite along with the 1986 Hummel shirt.

Certainly love our colours and would be sad if they were ever changed, I certainly sympathies with Cardiff fans with that red kit debacle!

18 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

years back, we played in blue 

edit, blue and white halfs, it was early 1900´s, so don´t think many here will remember

Wasnt that what the centinnial shirt was based upon?

As I often point out to fans of other clubs, yellow and green are next to each other in the rainbow! Our colours are blessed by the Gods of nature. 😉

Looking at those historical kits, I really like the 1926-27 one, it would be a really good away kit. Not enough kits have chevrons these days, or sashes for that matter...

Edited by cornish sam

Actually this thread reminded me of a random thought which popped into my head the other day. If you're a fan of one of the many teams who play in boring blue and white you must go to lots of games where it's really difficult to tell if fans wearing a blue shirt are supporting your side or the opposition. This will never happen to us City fans. 

• Like 1

Outraged when we opted to go through that horrible phase of all yellow...please lets not do anything like that again.

....but yes one of the iconic kits was the adidas pinstripe of 1981-84 vintage, with an unusually long airing of 3 seasons.

Surprised we've never really attempted to replicate that in subsequent years.

There was an attempt to change the colours when John Bond was manager. He wanted red and blue for some reason and they tried it in a testimonial game which I think was for Kevin Keelan. We booed. 

9 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

It matters to me so much I have to be yellow or green if playing board games and I won't play as blue. Ever.

Ha Ha, me too

I would be devastated if we moved away from yellow and green.  I live in Bristol now and travel all over the world - the yellow and green is so distinctive.  It sets us apart - really something to be proud of...a rallying call.  Everyone loves to talk about it (except in Bristol that is).

The attached pickie is me in Norwich, Connecticut, USA on a work trip, but determined to fly the colours.  They had these signs up all over the town making the perfect photo opportunity, but it was actually a bit of a dump!  The locals were pretty bamboozled,  even when I explained!

Like many others, I have to have the yellow piece when playing games and always have to have the yellow ball when playing crazy golf.

20190114_160407.jpg

• Like 1

Much of my "leisure" clothing is either yellow, green or both so I guess it does influence my thinking. I think we are recognised as the main team to wear these colours and we would certainly be daft to change them. And it is never going to happen

Imagine supporting a Team in Blue and white, who are you? Millwall, Everton, Brum or 1p5wich? Your songs are sung by everyone else, you can't be identified by your colours, yet your identity is what defines you. We're the only Club in Yellow and Green, every football fan knows who we are, without even seeing the badge, that's a powerful image, one that we should all be proud of. 

• Like 2

My ManUre supporting mate loved it when we played them at Old Trafford a few years ago and sang "We've Come for our Scarves" when their fans were in Glazer protesting mode and wearing yellow and green scarves - a throw back to Newton Heath (foundation club of ManUre) days when they played in green and yellow.  Whenever we meet up he always greets me with a chorus of that now~!  He recognises we have a unique place in top level football with our colours - it would be a travesty to change.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Much of my "leisure" clothing is either yellow, green or both so I guess it does influence my thinking. I think we are recognised as the main team to wear these colours and we would certainly be daft to change them. And it is never going to happen

My clothes are too KG, much to the missus chagrin!

She is particularly unimpressed with my green or yellow trainers and don't get her started on the green Doc Martens!

I love them - matchday standard footwear!

Since the pink away dressing room is having such a devastating effect on the opposition this season perhaps we should be playing in all pink?

She is particularly unimpressed with my green or yellow trainers and don't get her started on the green Doc Martens!

That's the spirit. For the 1973 League Cup Final, I had a yellow and green shirt, a yellow leather jacket which I dyed the collar and cuffs green., green trousers and yellow and green daisy roots which where basically fashionable boxing boots.

You can see why Brazil copied our shirt!

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That's the spirit. For the 1973 League Cup Final, I had a yellow and green shirt, a yellow leather jacket which I dyed the collar and cuffs green., green trousers and yellow and green daisy roots which where basically fashionable boxing boots.

You can see why Brazil copied our shirt!

LOL - is there any photographic evidence KG? That must've looked amazing!

The closest I can come to home-made big match attire is a mate in 2002 who stitched two tea cosies together because the club shop have run out of play-off final hats!

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

As I often point out to fans of other clubs, yellow and green are next to each other in the rainbow! Our colours are blessed by the Gods of nature. 😉

I beg to differ 

LOL - is there any photographic evidence KG? That must've looked amazing!

The closest I can come to home-made big match attire is a mate in 2002 who stitched two tea cosies together because the club shop have run out of play-off final hats!

No evidence I'm afraid. I bought the boots in Kensington Market where all the rock stars used to shop. I bought a pair of cream platform boots as well that Elton John has also bought. My wife's platform shoes were so high (Gold and Green so nearly there) that they were featured in the Daily Mirror as dangerous!

For the 1967 Cup run I had a yellow and green top hat and a yellow and green megaphone! First game in the First Division against Everton the style was silk NCFC scarves worn around the forehead like Kamikaze pilots. Plus the obligatory long hair. I do remeber having yellow and green flip flops on as well.

I like the initiative with the tea cosies. When it comes to NCFC, our imaginations click into gear and inspiration is never far away.