Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Trybull & McLean

Just wondered what people’s opinions are on our current pairing. I can’t quite make my mind up on McLean. Trybull has been pretty good since he came back into the side. Both don’t offer that much defensively with players often leaving them for dead running past them. It’s a really hard balancing act with our style of play. They both always want the ball and keep play moving but with leitner and Vrancic now available are they the best option?

Just when they go and have a good match together, they bring their places into contention with some sloppy stuff. Until the first goal, I thought McLean was poor. But then he started doing what he is good at and that is running forward with the ball. But Stieppermann does that so I am not sure he is the right man in hos position.

I don't know. I am not convinced but I just hope DF is keeping all the original first choice players happy with sitting on the bench.

He's done a decent job, but Vrancic has to come in for McLean now for me. I understand the whole don't change a winning team argument but there is only so long you can leave two of your best players on the bench in such an important period, and we haven't been massively convincing in midfield of late.

Vrancic gets the nod over Moritz imo.

Edited by Excited Canary

7 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

He's done a decent job, but Vrancic has to come in for McLean now for me. I understand the whole don't change a winning team argument but there is only so long you can leave two of your best players on the bench in such an important period, and we haven't been massively convincing in midfield of late.

Vrancic gets the nod over Moritz imo.

I expected to hear that Vranic had replaced McLean on the team sheet last night, was a bit dissapointed when I saw the side unchanged. I was reassured I was right when McLean made a few misplaced passes early on. Thing is though he went on to prove me wrong and actually made some excellent passes as the game went on. I dont think there is a huge amount to choose between all four of them, different styles yes but they are very capable at what they do. I can understand Farke wanting to give McLean a good run in the team after his injury, he is probably expecting a lot more to come. 

I think a lot of fans forget that by this stage in the season a lot of players will be carrying small injuries and are not 100% fit, fit enough to play yes, but not 100%. That may be part of Farkes thinking?

Edited by Van wink

I reiterate what I said on a different thread about this. It is all well and good discussing who we would play in certain positions at certain times but to intertwine this with feelings of disappointment is not in the best interests of the team. Trust daniel to get it right on the night. McLean was not the problem last night. We controlled the midfield (unlike Swansea). Just did not nail the final ball as much as we would have liked and let in two soft goals. 

Not fussed if we go unchanged against rotherham. Think that the team played last night should do the business anyway. OTBC!!

This is being discussed in the other thread above but as i've said in there as harsh as it may be on Mclean I would have Leitner or Vrancic in there for the rest of the season. i just don;t feel the midfield is functioning as well with the current pairing and as a consequence we are not controlling the tempo of games as we can. Last night there were numerous occasions where the defenders or Trybull were looking for a quick easy pass into the space where Mo or Vrancic would usually sit and there was nobody there. As a consequence they had to play longer, riskier passes and gave the ball away a bit more than usual. 

Its harsh on Kenny but i juts feel that in the situation we are in where every game is crucial we cannot afford to have our two best midfield playmakers sat on the bench.

It is a tough call. McLean was out for a lengthy time so there is probably more improvement to come. It’s a good situation to be in with all these options to choose from. 

Would love to see Vrancic, Leitner and Tettey from the start when all fit.

Think Godfrey would do a good job as the deep lying mid which would then allow us to bring Klose back in.

Vrancic is next in the queue in my eyes, but hard to drop Trybull who has been pretty solid and McLean who has done the business so far. Can't argue with 2 goals in 3 games etc. Hard to drop a player who has had a spell out like he has, I'm sure there's more to come from him

Leitner in for McLean for me. Hard on him but Leitner is much better on the ball. Essential we play out strongest side for these last nine games

We seem to be flogging this subject to death on here and the consensus seems to be McLean to be benched. However, Farke seems reluctant to make that change anytime soon. I can't think of many clubs who would keep their best players on the bench at such a vital stage.

17 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I didn't think Trybull done much wrong last night.

I thought he was immense. Brave and confident on the ball.

Tettey is surely now just back-up to Trybull..

They are equally good at tackling, but Trybull’s ability to distribute the ball is far, far superior.

I thought Trybull was very good last night and McLean was decent so on individual performances, I don’t think you could drop them.

However, I do think, as a pairing, they leave us more exposed defensively than if we had Leitner or Vrancic playing. 

So in the best interests of the team, I think we probably need to change it. 

Edited by Clint

A partnership that's yielded 15 points from the last 15 available. 

My thoughts are it's a partnership that working. I really don't understand some of the negativity towards Mclean. I think he's doing a great job, and will surely get better the more he plays. 

Leitner and Vrancic are quality, and I'm excited to see more of them. But dropping Mclean now would be bad management, and quite possibly harm his development into a key player for us. Farke knows this, and won't drop him unless results go against us, or injury forces his hand.