Discobolus

Leeds v Sheff Utd

What’s considered the best result for Norwich,, I think disregarding winning the league but just getting promoted a Leeds win, if Norwich can get the win at Rotherham that puts Sheff 7 points behind with 8 games to play, with regard to winning the league a draw.

Either a Leeds win or a draw would be good news, with Sheff Utd then either on 71 or 72 points, with us on (if we win) 78.  One point may not seem tha much different, but could be important, so on balance I would prefer a Leeds win.

I was about to post the very same question. Normally I would want a draw between rival teams but I think a Leeds win is best for us, particularly as Sheffield United have a run of 4 tricky fixtures coming up. All that assumes that we win at Rotherham. 

It's an unusual season in that there are 3 teams who are much better than the rest. It will be a travesty if the top 3 don't get promoted. There's very little between all 3 teams and I certainly don't buy into the argument that Sheffield United play long ball football. They were very good here and have played attractive football all season. 

• Like 1

Correct Mr.D.

TWO go up,not one and although we may not be over fond of Leeds and many of their more "basic" supporters, the fact remains that if Sheffield United lose and we win on Saturday that gap to third place is a massive seven points and in the context of the remaining fixtures, both numerically and the respective quality of the opposition in the pipeline, this gap will put them firmly on the back foot.

Playing catch up 'aint sufficient words to describe it.

C'on Dirty Leeds, say I, although a draw wouldn't be so bad whether or not we get a Result. 

Us and Leeds win would be perfect for us. We would need 4 more wins from our last eight games to get to 90 points, which must be well within our grasp, and that would be very difficult for Sheffield to overtake - 20 points from their last eight games is a very tough ask.

As good as we are wouldn’t want the play offs this year, a wBA with a new manager and who knows a Preston unbeaten in the run in with a manager that master minded us in the same way a Villa that are finally getting there. So based on that and Sheffield Uniteds slightly more tricky run in I would prefer a Leeds win. If we can then win 7 points clear with 8 games less would mean beating Reading, QPR, Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday at home would almost garuntee promotion and let’s face it we are not exactly pants away.

The only reason we have doubts is we support the club, others looking at our position and remaining fixtures would say we are nailed on.

• Like 1

A draw is definitely the best result purely because it's one less point between our rivals. If one team wins it then Leeds is preferable. I think Sheffield Utd would be less likely to be able to bounce back and challenge for 2nd place after a defeat, but that's just a guess.

• Like 1

I still think a draw would be best. Assuming we win and they draw we will have 4 points over Leeds and 6 over Sheffield utd, with a better goal difference than both (well at least an equal one to Sheffield but more goals scored). That way both teams have to get better results than us in at least 2 games so they both have to stay on the boil. If Leeds win then that releases the pressure on them and they only have to better our result in one game, for it to be between ourselves and shef utd, which makes it more pressure on us...

26 minutes ago, Petriix said:

A draw is definitely the best result purely because it's one less point between our rivals. If one team wins it then Leeds is preferable. I think Sheffield Utd would be less likely to be able to bounce back and challenge for 2nd place after a defeat, but that's just a guess.

This.

A draw for me, Bob. Since nobody can predict their or our subsequent results... take the ‘ 1point dropped’, zero increased goal difference, and spoils shared evenly.

Earlier in the season you would have wanted the draw, but if Leeds and ourselves win on Saturday that leaves a 7 point gap (plus goal difference probably) for Sheffield United to make up over 8 games. With a maximum of 24 points left to play for that is quite a big ask.

That said, whatever the result it's not going to bad for us if we can get the 3 points in what will be a tough challenge at Rotherham. Very nice position to be in.

You can make a reasonable case for any result being ‘ok’ - someone (possibly both) will drop points but que sera sera - it’ll be whatever it is.   

A draw keeps us top whatever and with the possibility of being 4 clear of Leeds and 6 clear of Sheff U if we win v Rotherham - I would probably veer towards  that result but it’s marginal.

A Sheff U win and a loss for us would really put the cat among the pigeons.  They are on a good run and don't concede many goals.  Unfortunately I can see them winning this one. 

Leeds need to play as well as they've done v West Brom, Derby and Reading the other night and not do play how they did when we outclassed them and when they got beaten at QPR.  When they play well, they are very good, but when they don't (or get outplayed as we did to them), they are beatable.  They concede goals (as we do) too easily as well.

A draw would be ok - but we just need to keep going and winning; it's 5 wins in a row for us, so we just need to keep that going and what ever happens, neither of them will catch us.

I'm so torn.

I just want to get the job done,

But I really really really, don't want that horrible lot to go up.

3 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

The best result is we get 3 points at Rotherham.

Whatever happens in Leeds vs Sheffield United is of benefit to us, but only if we win our game.

Agree - our result is the most important. 

However, I love a Leeds victory to go with it - 7 points clear of third would suit well.

In the end, one of them drops points.  What matters is that we get a win at Rotherham.  My preference is a draw for them because it leaves them 6 and 4 points behind us, so a lot of ground for either to make up in 8 games.  A Leeds win means Leeds are only 2 points behind with 7 to Sheff U, so not much of a bigger gap to Sheff U but Leeds are close to us.

But ultimately it is what it is, our result is what really matters.

Promotion first, title second for me, obv i want us to win v Rotherham, Leeds to win v Sheff. After that i want us to keep winning and both of them to drop points elsewhere. Would not be too upset with Leeds /Sheff draw but if Sheff finish saturday 7 points behind us, then thats three games at least that we would have to slip up in and them take advantage of, for them to overtake us.

• Like 1

Well , I think a Leeds win... But the game against Rotherham is no gimme...they're fighting for survival , let's get the job done there!!!

• Like 1

Surely a Leeds Win and us to win, get the gap to 7 points. We would need to lose three games and Sheff Utd to win two and draw one just to catch us up.

Doesn't matter if we are first or second, so long as we don't come third.

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hate to say it but a Leeds win for me.

Got to agree Tilly and I need to wash my mouth out saying it. As one of the Leeds fans on here pointed out even though a Leeds win would mean that Sheff Utd couldn't make up any ground on us there'll still be some wanting the away team to win. If there's anything for us riding on the last round of matches in May I bet it'll be the same lot who'll want Leeds to beat Ipswich even though that might mess us up.

A Leeds win would be more important if we don't get the win at Rotherham. They're fighting to stay in the division and our record there is patchy at best so it's by no means the foregone conclusion it looks on paper

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Leading into our game at 3pm, we would want our lead over 3rd to be 4 points, so Leeds win. 

But honestly, whatever the Leeds v Sheff Utd result, our future is up to us. As it should be. 

If not a draw then definitely a Sheff Utd win.

Some need to get off their knees.

We want the title so we need the biggest gap between us and second

Four and five points is better than two and 7 points

I'm a Leeds supporter on Saturday ....for 2 hours only. It's time to create a gap from 3rd place come the 3pm kick off. Second choice would be a draw.

Rotherham will be up for our game as they have to be. I trust in us to have a thoroughly professional performance.