Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Krull Footwork

The ironic cheering was out of order, I agree with him on that. There are places to air your concerns and loudly during a close and important game, especially one in which we were in the lead, is not one of them. I did think an online football forum might be a place to go it but apparently not, eh Van Wink?

42 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

The ironic cheering was out of order, I agree with him on that. There are places to air your concerns and loudly during a close and important game, especially one in which we were in the lead, is not one of them. I did think an online football forum might be a place to go it but apparently not, eh Van Wink?

You clearly dont understand how this works, you have expressed your opinion and I have expressed mine. 

I know Webber probably thinks he's doing the right thing by sticking up for Krul but i'm not really sure his intervention last night was helpful. Krul has not been getting abuse. The low level of ironic cheering was nothing more than the normal football fan response where a player has made an error in a game doing something stupid and then repeats the same thing again. Krul has played for some big clubs and will have seen players getting proper abuse. This was nothing (the fans were chanting his name for much of the first half) and barely worthy of mention. but now it has been built up into a "fans have been giving Krul stick" story, its on the back pages, the narrative builds and we go into an important away game (in likely terrible conditions for a goalkeeper) with all the focus firmly on Krul.

The same thing happened with the Murphy's where a narrative started to develop that they got stick off the crowd when the reality was that they really did not other than some isolated frustrations at their lack of end product when having on of their off days. Again pretty standard stuff. Fans have always groaned at misplaced passes and crosses.

I don;t think its helpful for this sort of narrative to get out there as the players themselves no doubt then become aware of it.

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

You clearly dont understand how this works, you have expressed your opinion and I have expressed mine. 

No misunderstanding, I'm well aware you've expressed your opinion. A Norwich City football forum isn't the place to criticise the performances of a Norwich City football player. I'm also aware of the value of your opinion. 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

No misunderstanding, I'm well aware you've expressed your opinion. A Norwich City football forum isn't the place to criticise the performances of a Norwich City football player. I'm also aware of the value of your opinion. 

very reassuring for you

19 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Which is fine as long as you don't then pass the ball to the opponent

If we did not play this way we would be exactly where you said we were going to be this year, towards the bottom of the Championship. We are playing a style of football that the top teams play. Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool to name but a few all play it. I think it’s fair to say they are better than us yet on occasions their defenders or goalkeepers make a mistake so if they do then inevitably we will. The one similarity is that like them we score lots of goals from playing out at the back. 

Be careful guys. This group of players are different. They are the most close knit team we have ever had. By criticising one of them they all take it to heart. Our team is amazing and there deserves this year the whole team to be recognised. Krull has organised a young back four and has become a leader. There are not many that could have come in and been given this sort of respect. He has been asked to play this way and has started many moves this season that have led to goals at the other end. If he was left after coming back from 2 1/2 years of very little football and simply played to his strengths we would recognise Krull as a great shot stopper, a commander of the box and somebody that could get the ball straight down the pitch for our big centre forward to win the high ball time after time. They were the dark days. Embrace what we have another player that has bought into the Farke way of playing. This TEAM does not have a weak link and every player needs our support. There seems to be also an underlying grumbling to put McClean down simply because people beleive Mo and Mario are better. The manager is simply judged on results. He sees who is performing, he comes up with the tactics and a team is put out against another team to beat them. Since McClean has been in we have won 5 out of 5 and finally put ourselves in a position where we have the luxury of losing games. Trust the manager on his signings and selections and support the whole team for these last 9 games through thick and thin. Like it or not a few negative vibes could destroy all the great work done in the first 37 games. Give Krull every confidence tomorrow and give him a huge song to boost his confidence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree that Krul should be backed during games, even moreso when he's made a howler. It also appears he's a huge asset in the changing room and his impact on the development of our young back four cannot be understated.

He's clearly a great signing and you don't challenge for promotion from the Championship with a rubbish keeper. It was a bit like all those fans saying Jens Lehmann was rubbish when he kept goal for a team that went a whole season unbeatable.

My only criticism is that the frequency of his blunders means I wouldn't be too confident if he was our number 1 next season in the event of promotion. If he was willing I'd definitely keep him around and play him in Cup games, but at this stage of his career and after his experience of being number 2 at Brighton it might not be a palatable prospect for him.

If we stay down I'd be more than happy for him to be our number one next season. At this level, we'll be hard pressed to get any better unless another Angus Gunn type keeper becomes available on loan.

On 13/03/2019 at 22:58, Alfie54 said:

Swansea keeper was very confident with the ball at his feet

He was certainly a lot better than in the reverse fixture! Do you remember that Alfie?

I think we would play with more concentration in the Prem. We dominate most teams so completely (we should have been at least 4 goals up against Hull before half time) that a touch of arrogance & complacency is inevitable. But when we come up against some quality (Arsenal & Chelsea last season, Bournemouth & Leeds away this) we raise our game & make far fewer mistakes.

It's one reason why I feel confident about next season. We'll get thrashed sometimes, but we'll give some teams a hell of a shock, & I expect us to survive. And yes, for the avoidance of doubt, we will be playing in the top tier. We will be collectively exhausted by the finish though!

Edited by ron obvious

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I know Webber probably thinks he's doing the right thing by sticking up for Krul but i'm not really sure his intervention last night was helpful. Krul has not been getting abuse. The low level of ironic cheering was nothing more than the normal football fan response where a player has made an error in a game doing something stupid and then repeats the same thing again. Krul has played for some big clubs and will have seen players getting proper abuse. This was nothing (the fans were chanting his name for much of the first half) and barely worthy of mention. but now it has been built up into a "fans have been giving Krul stick" story, its on the back pages, the narrative builds and we go into an important away game (in likely terrible conditions for a goalkeeper) with all the focus firmly on Krul.

The same thing happened with the Murphy's where a narrative started to develop that they got stick off the crowd when the reality was that they really did not other than some isolated frustrations at their lack of end product when having on of their off days. Again pretty standard stuff. Fans have always groaned at misplaced passes and crosses.

I don;t think its helpful for this sort of narrative to get out there as the players themselves no doubt then become aware of it.

You must go to different games to me Jimbo. The Murphys got untold amounts of stick as did Krul on Wednesday. Every time he had the ball all I could here was what sounded like demented crows squaking "get rid of it". 

Thing is you'll never change this. People go to games for all kinds if reasons. Where I am in the South Stand there are more vocal coaches than you could shake a stick at and they all know better than the one calling the shots.

Webber is right to speak out though. 

What a disappointing thread. 

A fantastic season surpassing everyone's expectation, (Lakey excepted 🙂) based on the whole club getting behind the new ethos and way of playing which has brought success and pride. Playing in this way has put us on the brink of the PL, years ahead of schedule.

Of course he made an error. It happens now and again but not as often as good things. Even our third goal in the same game came from a build up from Krul. He's the best keeper we have and has fully played his part. For goodness sake now is the time to get behind the team for the vital last few games not nit picking and undermining confidence.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

A fantastic season surpassing everyone's expectation, (Lakey excepted 🙂) based on the whole club getting behind the new ethos and way of playing which has brought success and pride. Playing in this way has put us on the brink of the PL, years ahead of schedule.

Of course he made an error. It happens now and again but not as often as good things. Even our third goal in the same game came from a build up from Krul. He's the best keeper we have and has fully played his part. For goodness sake now is the time to get behind the team for the vital last few games not nit picking and undermining confidence.  

Spot on. 

10 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

👍

Hopefully we can draw a line under this nonsense.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Got it. Next time he commits a blunder for God's sake don't talk about it on a football forum.

💤

This is the way Farke chooses to play at the back, including having zonal marking and 10 men in the box for every free kick and corner.  Opposition managers will have watched the videos of our games and seen that if you continually press our defenders they will make bad passes occasionally; we are also suspect at defending set pieces. The bottom line is it works for us and we are top of the league playing this way.

However much folk moan and squark "get rid of it" and "get it forward" eventually they are going to have to accept Farke doesn't play that way. Perhaps that's what he meant when talking about fans may decide they want a different style.

I like playing from the back. I accept when there's a mistake it can be costly but is it really more costly than getting it forward with more than a 50% chance of losing possession?

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

I think everyone has been getting behind the team. I have no problem with Krul receiving passes and wanting to play out from the back. He just needs to do it a bit quicker. i think on Weds, he tried to control it with the wring foot which got him into trouble, He was not helped though by the fact our midfield was not always making itself available for an outball.

On 15/03/2019 at 10:13, westcoastcanary said:

He was certainly a lot better than in the reverse fixture! Do you remember that Alfie?

I don’t I’m afraid. It was just an observation of how comfortable he looked with the ball at his feet, reminded me of Maddison!

On 15/03/2019 at 11:14, canarydan23 said:

Got it. Next time he commits a blunder for God's sake don't talk about it on a football forum.

Glad you've realised. This forum is not the place to discuss our performances.

2 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

I don’t I’m afraid. It was just an observation of how comfortable he looked with the ball at his feet, reminded me of Maddison!

👍 This is what I was referring to (about 45 secs in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZUOfM4T9fk

Not a case of poor footwork, but the sort of thing that happens when the manager has said "I want you playing out from the back whatever; I won't complain if you make a mistake". Some fans clearly don't get the message even if the players do ..........

23 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

👍 This is what I was referring to (about 45 secs in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZUOfM4T9fk

Not a case of poor footwork, but the sort of thing that happens when the manager has said "I want you playing out from the back whatever; I won't complain if you make a mistake". Some fans clearly don't get the message even if the players do ..........

Just don't let the Krul-bashers wind it on to 01:40!!

Edited by Drazen Muzinic