Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Krull Footwork

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm always worried, when a team is pressing us and we continue to pass it around the back. basically inviting trouble.

........and creating space!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

There's no space in passing it back and forth !

There is space if it makes an opponent chase it and move out of position.

14 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm always worried, when a team is pressing us and we continue to pass it around the back. basically inviting trouble.

I understand what you're saying Swindon, and there has to be slightly better judgement from our players at times, but hoofing the ball forward to Pukki/Steip and inevitably losing the first or second duel also invites its own pressure. At least holding onto the ball keeps the opponents working hard and eats up valuable time.

I also think Hogesar is correct when he suggests it's integral to how we play. Without question, keeping hold of the ball gives us a greater element of overall control in the game, whilst encouraging that high press (which Hull did less than Swansea incidentally). In my opinion, this tires the opposition out allowing us to finish strongly and I think it's no coincedence we usually pick opponents off towards the latter stages of matches.

• Like 2

I think Tim just ****ed up his touch. These things just happen and we can probably count ourselves lucky that conceding from that maybe brought us back down to earth without losing points. You wouldn't now expect any silly passing errors like that before the end of this season.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

There is space if it makes an opponent chase it and move out of position.

Which is fine as long as you don't then pass the ball to the opponent

44 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Is it a good time to be running threads slagging off our keeper?

Nah. I mean this is a Norwich City football forum, not a place for discussing one of the key events, and incidents linked to it, of a match that took place a mere 17 hours ago?!

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nah. I mean this is a Norwich City football forum, not a place for discussing one of the key events, and incidents linked to it, of a match that took place a mere 17 hours ago?!

Certainly a good chance to discuss the obvious weakness  of our keeper👍

It wasn’t a poor ball from Godfrey, Krul screwed up. He always looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet

Krul apologists out in force yet again every time he screws it up. Because best we could afford does not excuse his glaring errors. Some seem to have forgotten his performance against Swansea. Panics when closed down quickly. Krul errors previously were self inflicted not down to the opposition just hope he has got this out of his system.

Yeah his performance against Swansea was diabolical. Cant believe the amount of goals we conceded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Which is fine as long as you don't then pass the ball to the opponent

Well yes but that is the case with every style of football- fine as long as you do it well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Depends how you define directly responsible though doesn't it? If you rephrase it to "should have done better" then of course you're going to be looking at several goals. But all keepers are going to make parries and rely on their defence to clean up - look at Marshall last night (who had an excellent game overall) with our second.

Krul definitely seems prone to the odd major ****-up, but I seem to recall Angus making several last season, and Ruddy before that. Wonder how he compares to other keepers in the division?

I can;t think of a single **** up by Gunn last season that cost us so i would be interested to know which ones you are recalling? It is of of note really that there was basically no discussion at all last season of the GK position and personally I can;t recall coming away from a single game last season thinking Gunn had been poor or made an error. He was a bit iffy in the first half against the sc*m but can;t recall anything else. he was pretty much exemplary.

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm not on about hoofing the ball, it's about moving it forward instead of the back four, give it to the midfield.

The problem last night and to a degree on Friday is that only Trybull in the midfield was showing for the ball thus making it easier fro the opposition to press us and meaning we had to go across the back line more than usual. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I can;t think of a single **** up by Gunn last season that cost us so i would be interested to know which ones you are recalling? It is of of note really that there was basically no discussion at all last season of the GK position and personally I can;t recall coming away from a single game last season thinking Gunn had been poor or made an error. He was a bit iffy in the first half against the sc*m but can;t recall anything else. he was pretty much exemplary.

Gunn was brilliant for us last season. The only thing I can remember him doing that was poor was being beaten in a jump for the ball by Matt Smith at QPR which led to a QPR goal. HOWEVER ---- when Gunn went to Southampton at the beginning of this season he cost them £13 million. Others have asked earlier in this thread which goalie we could have got for free at the beginning of this season who would have been available at the time and better than Krul. Nobody has come up with a sensible answer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete said:

Krul apologists out in force yet again every time he screws it up. Because best we could afford does not excuse his glaring errors. Some seem to have forgotten his performance against Swansea. Panics when closed down quickly. Krul errors previously were self inflicted not down to the opposition just hope he has got this out of his system.

Miserable whining miserablists out in force the moment one of our hugely entertaining and table topping team makes an error. They seem to have forgotten the number of brilliant saves Krul has made this year and how  he has been a massively important figure in rallying and organising an extremely young and inexperienced defence. This negativity is obviously self inflicted and not down to anybody else. You would hope that they'd got it out of their system, but there would appear to be a fat chance of that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Krul will definitely see the season out as No. 1 keeper if we should get promoted then the manager will have to make that position a priority. With the  speed of Vardy, Sterling etc he will have to be a lot quicker with his actions

He's the best keeper we have, let's just support him. He's not going to be replaced between now and the end of the season, barring injury or suspension, neither of which scenarios even the most vitriolic Krul basher would relish. Fact.

It is good to know that if ever we need a replacement goalkeeping coach Daniel Farke or Stuart Webber need to look no future than this Forum.  😜

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

The problem last night and to a degree on Friday is that only Trybull in the midfield was showing for the ball thus making it easier fro the opposition to press us and meaning we had to go across the back line more than usual. 

And there's the rub.  Get Leitner the metronome in and Krul has that outlet.  The only way to do this is by Leitner replacing McLean.  Harsh but there you go.  Oh and Matthews I believe was let go because Farke & Co felt he would never be confident with the ball at his feet so surplus to requirements.  On that basis you have to see Krul as a one season keeper.   Will Oxborough be up for the challenge? 

SW not at all happy with the "ironic cheer" that Krul got last night after kicking it straight last night, following his error at end of first half Not happy he was singled out.

Says it all really

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

SW not at all happy with the "ironic cheer" that Krul got last night after kicking it straight last night, following his error at end of first half Not happy he was singled out.

Says it all really

....and I make him right. 

I believe he also said Tim Krul was our best summer signing.

Moaners have to moan. Console yourselves with the thought of Webber punching them in the face....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I believe he also said Tim Krul was our best summer signing.

Moaners have to moan. Console yourselves with the thought of Webber punching them in the face....

I console myself with the thought of our goalkeeping coach punching them in the face ................. he's up for a scrap............allegedly! 

As has been said, how do you replace a talent like Gunn (£13m) with the minimal outlay we had available? Krul was always going to be a gamble - he was international class in the Prem at Newcastle, but then had awful injuries and a couple of years where he barely played.

He was only given a two-year contract, and compared to Gunn (who was a striker until he was about 11, I believe?) his technique is a little lacking. Godfrey didn't give him a bad pass last night, he could easily have taken a touch and passed it straight out to Aarons. His kick was hurried because his first touch was heavy.

On the whole he's been good this season, but our system relies on a goalkeeper who is excellent with the ball at his feet - and Krul is pretty average in that regard. But as a presence and an experienced head in front of an inexperienced defence, he's done just fine. Would be very surprised to see him starting next season if we get promoted.

If Southampton go down and we go up, do you think Webber might consider a cheeky punt on Angus? On his performances in the few games since he replaced McCarthy, his value will only go up if he's a regular first-choice keeper in the top flight. Future England keeper for sure.

Interesting thread but seems to be a lot of hyperbole from both sides imo, the truth is somewhere in the middle... 

I'm on board with a lot of the criticism Krul has received for his shot stopping and handling. I think some in favour of Krul in this thread are overblowing his brilliant saves, he's had a few really good games for sure - I think Brentford, Bristol, Millwall away stand out (correct me if wrong) but I can't recall many where I've come away thinking he's won us the points with his performance. Imo, if you were to look at it from a purely shot stopping perspective, he's probably cost us more points than he's won us!

However, he offers us so much more than simply shot stopping, and there is a lot of criticism in this thread (and in the ground last night) which I do not understand in the slightest. It appears after the goal yesterday and a couple of shaky moments against Swansea, Krul is now incapable of playing with the ball at his feet?!

I'm just not following that at all. Krul has generally been good in possession for us, this is the first goal this season he has been responsible to from a poor kick - in a team that is heavily reliant on building out from the back. I'm not particularly interested in the 'near misses' against Swansea - Marshall had two identical moments last night and he was hoofing it ffs! The only other game where any poor kicking sticks out in my mind was the first 25 minutes at West Brom when we were massively pinned back. Other than this his footwork has been a positive and he looks more comfortable in this regard than most - if not all - keepers I can remember for us.

I also believe his experience in the dressing room and passion has been a massive positive for organising and focusing our very young back line. I'm not sure if we'd get the same from someone less experienced such as Gunn, but it is impossible to pinpoint the worth and scope of these aspects.

Playing out from the back is integral to the way we have played all season and it has led to THE BEST FOOTBALL I HAVE EVER SEEN AS A NORWICH FAN. Krul has undoubtedly played his part in this. I just cannot fathom those in the ground last night who were screaming for him to clear it immediately and then sarcastically cheering him when he did so. Have these people been watching us this season? Bunch of melts! I would love to hear from someone on here who did this last night but no chance they can computer.

The comparisons against Angus are interesting, I have to say I don't think he made anywhere near the number of mistakes as Krul has this season, but comparing a free transfer to a £13m one certainly seems harsh. That said - playing devil's advocate; Pukki, Stieperman, Zimmermann and Trybull were all free signings... and our recruitment has been so exceptional this season that maybe we COULD have found a better goalkeeper within our budget?? Imo it will be a position we will look to strengthen next season if we are playing in the prem.

Overall I think Krul has been a good championship signing for us. He is probably an average shot stopper but his experience, role in our footballing style and passion for the cause has undoubtedly played its part in our success.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Great post Hank and I agree 100% with that.

Krul has certainly made some big mistakes and probably isn’t as good a keeper as Gunn. But given that we have been playing with an extremely young and inexperienced back four I think he has been very important. I would think his presence and character have been essential during the season. I’m not sure the defence as a whole would have been as strong without someone like Krul.

I’ve no doubt that we will need to look for a new, premiership quality, number one IF we go up. But even then I think Krul will be the perfect back up keeper. A good character in the dressing room and someone to offer support to the new keeper and provide more than adequate back up

• Like 1