Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Krull Footwork

We play the way we play - Krul wasn’t given the best ball to start with and didn’t get it right. No need for him to be scapegoated for it, but of course he will be.

• Like 4

In case it's escaped your attention percy we've played that way all season long - and we're top of the League. He probably had the ball at his feet 30 times tonight and he got it wrong once - and was unlucky to be punished for it by a superb finish by Pugh. 

• Like 3

We win as a Team, we lose as a Team. If Farke decides it's time for a change, I'll go with that. I wonder, if McGovern was picked for Saturday would all the naysayers be happy with that?

Nooooooooo!    Krul over McGovern every day of the week. I'm not sure McGovern is particularly short, but every time I've see him play he dives under any shots on goal. 

Krul keeps his place, it’s not even an issue. A key component of our back 5 which is the base of much of our play.

But a word from the coaching staff that if you are not chasing the game, row z is an acceptable option in the 45th minute.

• Like 1

He’s not great with the ball at his feet but it’s the way we play and most of the time it works. It keeps possession rather than just launching it forward. That said just before half time and 2-0 up I’d prefer he just hoofed it 😁

Yup, what Sussex said.

I do think that, if we get promoted, we will get another first-choice keeper, but Krul is far and away our best choice now.

• Like 1

This is the Championship for crying out loud.... it doesn't matter if it's 1 mistake in 30 backpasses, this is high level football and if we literally gift teams goals as we did tonight, then eventually it bites you on the backside.     There is simple evidence that if we are going to play from the back then our keeper must be capable to play football and unfortunately Krul is not at the level required for this style of play.    That has been evidenced throughout the season regardless of the fact we are top.     It could be cost us promotion come the end.    

Aside from that, he isn't the best goalkeeper either (as disappointing as it is to put negatives on our brilliant season), again evidenced by his dropped cross today.     Too many mistakes at this level.   He's made good saves of course but that's his job.    We are fortunate that the team generally has been good enough to get us to this point.     OTBC.      

Fair enough we don't have the option to replace Krul with someone else....we should have kept Matthews and let McGovern go... but no doubt, we would need a new keeper and a back-up next season if we are going to play from the back.  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

3 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

This is the Championship for crying out loud.... it doesn't matter if it's 1 mistake in 30 backpasses, this is high level football and if we literally gift teams goals as we did tonight, then eventually it bites you on the backside.     There is simple evidence that if we are going to play from the back then our keeper must be capable to play football and unfortunately Krul is not at the level required for this style of play.    That has been evidenced throughout the season regardless of the fact we are top.     It could be cost us promotion come the end.    

Aside from that, he isn't the best goalkeeper either (as disappointing as it is to put negatives on our brilliant season), again evidenced by his dropped cross today.     Too many mistakes at this level.   He's made good saves of course but that's his job.    We are fortunate that the team generally has been good enough to get us to this point.     OTBC.      

A quick rewind, last summer, we've got no money and we need a keeper, McGovern isn't the answer, what do we do?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Fair enough we don't have the option to replace Krul with someone else....we should have kept Matthews and let McGovern go... but no doubt, we would need a new keeper and a back-up next season if we are going to play from the back.  

Who in the championship is a better ball playing keeper?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

....or even for a fee?

Nail hit firmly on the head. Maybe we should have been in for a top quality international keeper like Pickford or someone? 

Krul has also made some vital saves recently - that double stop against Millwall was really important in the context of the game.

I also notice he took no chances in the second half, and Hull won pretty much all of the long balls forward resulting in turnover of possession.

Dear oh dear. 

Not a scapegoat comment. Just an observation that in the style that we play Krul is not the sweeper keeper we need just as Hart was not the one for Pep. 

I prefer him to McGovern but still believe that we need to look for a keeper in the summer who has a better touch with the ball at his feet.

This is not trying to cast a shadow on the season. Just a comment.

Oh, and appologies for the fat finger trouble with the double L  

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Nail hit firmly on the head. Maybe we should have been in for a top quality international keeper like Pickford or someone? 

Krul has also made some vital saves recently - that double stop against Millwall was really important in the context of the game.

I also notice he took no chances in the second half, and Hull won pretty much all of the long balls forward resulting in turnover of possession.

Exactly the point....  he lost confidence second-half, kicked it long and we lost possession... if we are going to play this way long term, GK is the position we will need to improve as part of the ongoing development of the squad.... just saying... don't think these comments are unreasonable especially as they relate to moving forward not what's passed.    This forum is all about opinions... but any suggestion we can develop this style of playing from the back with Krul long-term, has to be a sentimental judgement not a realistic one.      

We don't have options at the moment; perhaps Remi Matthews was a better solution than McGovern as back up for this season....hindsight is a wonderful thing of course...      ultimately, the club haven't made many mistakes and this team is getting better and better.   

11 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Crap ball from Godfrey, who should have hoofed it away, just one of those things, we won and i am sure DF will have a word...........

Spot on. Godfrey also left Martin completely unmarked for the 2nd but no mention of it. Angus Gunn May or may not be better but Krull has organised and helped our 4 inexperienced defenders to develop. Can’t beleive we would be in this position without an experienced goalkeeper ?. He could do what he did in the second 1/2 and concede possession every time. 

One last point did one of our goals not come from playing the ball out from Krull tonight ??

• Like 1

He does seem to take that little bit too long sometimes but I dont think the defence helps by putting him under pressure with some of the back passes they give him.

To be fair on the goal the defence were very poor after his mis kick and left hull too much space.

9 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

He’s championship keeper not premiership end of

This. He's done a job but he's the first person I'd replace on promotion.

I'm fully behind Krul. He is the best keeper we have.

He simply has to cut out these silly mistakes with the ball at his feet though. We were very lucky not to be punished on Friday, and were punished today.

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

We win as a Team, we lose as a Team. If Farke decides it's time for a change, I'll go with that. I wonder, if McGovern was picked for Saturday would all the naysayers be happy with that?

spot on...I wasn't happy with his footwork either...but he's the best keeper we have!

What happened yesterday is an inevitable consequence of the way we now play, which I must emphasise I enjoy watching. Players will always make mistakes, if you make them when playing out through the defence occasionally it will result in a silly goal being conceded. You can get better at the style of play, which we have, but you cant eliminate human error.

One of these type of errors now and then is inevitable with the way we play out. The important thing is that this one happened in a game we still won. On balance Krul’s had a good season for us so far, so let’s not knock him unduly for one error in that most-exposed of positions.