Alex Moss

Norwich City v Hull City match thread

1 minute ago, westcoastcanary said:

Buendia is a terrific attacking player but needs to improve his awareness of danger areas in which to avoid giving the ball away. Many of Hull's turn overs and counters started with Emi taking a chance with a layoff or covered pass. You could say he is as bad as Wes in the respect (not to mention the heart-attack inducing challenges he makes in the penalty area.

Get a grip mate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We outperform Leeds and Sheffield Utd in one very important respect at the moment: the number of games where we score more goals than the opposition. 🤣

Exactly LYB. But there is plenty of evidence that relying on that is not a recipe for continued success however much it sees you through in the short term. Question: how confident are you that we can keep on doing that in the EPL if we get promoted? It's not some idiosyncratic view that I have. Sustained success is built first and foremost on sound defence, and our defence manifestly isn't sound at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Buendia is a terrific attacking player but needs to improve his awareness of danger areas in which to avoid giving the ball away. Many of Hull's turn overs and counters started with Emi taking a chance with a layoff or covered pass. You could say he is as bad as Wes in the respect (not to mention the heart-attack inducing challenges he makes in the penalty area.

You are either half glass full Westcoast or you are half empty.

I've always been the former. Sorry, I am not able to help it. It has taken me many many years to get to being like that. But there's no going back 😊

• Like 1

Sheffield United's next four games:

Leeds (A), Bristol City (H), Preston (A), Birmingham (A).

Our next four games:

Rotherham (A), Middlesbrough (A), QPR (H), Reading (H).

I know which four fixtures I'd rather face. If we can beat Rotherham and then somehow win at Middlesbrough, I reckon we're as good as there.

• Like 1

Our defence is also very very young. Zimmermann is the old man at 26!! Si plenty of room for improvement and that only comes through experience. Yes the defending for both goals was poor. I do believe that we need a better keeper if we go up. But I have no problem with giving our defenders a chance to learn while it isn't necessarily costing us at the moment.

This is how we build for the future. As many have pointed out Hull had two (perhaps count Bowen's great free kick in the openong minutes for three) opportunities and made them count. But that was it. Two. That is not a cause for concern for me. Just defending those opporitnities better which will come through experience.

Edited by CanaryChris

12 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Well clearly they let teams into games more than we do as we have won more games.

How many of their dropped points are from games in which they established a two goal lead and then surrendered it? How many of their games leave their supporters begging for the final whistle having seen what should be a comfortable win becomes seriously uncomfortable? We regularly allow opponents better scoring chances than either Leeds or Sheffield Utd do. It's a fact.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

One question west coast? Did you expect Norwich to be in this situation with 9 games to go? I didn't, my expectation was challenging for playoffs ish. So no they ain't perfect but hey ho right now

2 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

How many of their dropped points are from games in which they established a two goal lead and then surrendered it? How many of their games leave their supporters begging for the final whistle having seen what should be a comfortable win becomes seriously uncomfortable? We regularly allow opponents better scoring chances than either Leeds or Sheffield Utd do. It's a fact.

Yet despite this, our style of play has so far resulted in us winning more and losing less than those you mention. 

How many teams play with a back four with an average age of 24? Would you sacrifice the youth and commitment in our squad for more experience and Championship nous?

There are always improvements to be made but it is unreal how some supporters focus on our weaknesses rather than the incredible job we've done this season.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Now hang on there just a gosh darn minute! I love Emi but that is a bit strong.

Buendia is on a different level completely to Wes and will go much further in the game. 

8 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Maybe that's because they don't establish a lead with the frequency that we do. Easier to lose a lead if you have one I would suggest. Who gives a **** how uncomfortable it is? We've done our entertaining for the season, all that matters to me now is the final score, of which we have been on the wrong end 3 times since September. Get a grip you ****ing melt.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Maybe that's because they don't establish a lead with the frequency that we do. Easier to lose a lead if you have one I would suggest. Who gives a **** how uncomfortable it is? We've done our entertaining for the season, all that matters to me now is the final score, of which we have been on the wrong end 3 times since September. Get a grip you ****ing melt.

Now now, play nice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Canary1 said:

One question west coast? Did you expect Norwich to be in this situation with 9 games to go? I didn't, my expectation was challenging for playoffs ish. So no they ain't perfect but hey ho right now

No I didn't, but unlike a lot on here I did expect us to get to the playoffs. At the half way stage I predicted 4th, and the reason I didn't think we would make automatic is precisely that, as in the past when we have gone up and then quickly down again, we are over-reliant on scoring goals as opposed to not conceding them.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

:classic_biggrin: Have you been taking lessons from morty kick it off? 

No I didn't, but unlike a lot on here I did expect us to get to the playoffs. At the half way stage I predicted 4th, and the reason I didn't think we would make automatic is precisely that, as in the past when we have gone up and then quickly down again, we are over-reliant on scoring goals as opposed to not conceding them.

If only we were Middlesboro 😮

29 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Exactly LYB. But there is plenty of evidence that relying on that is not a recipe for continued success however much it sees you through in the short term. Question: how confident are you that we can keep on doing that in the EPL if we get promoted? It's not some idiosyncratic view that I have. Sustained success is built first and foremost on sound defence, and our defence manifestly isn't sound at the moment.

You are a funny fish sometimes Westcoast. If we can't rely on scoring more goals than the opposition for success what we can rely on? Scoring less goals than them? 

1 minute ago, C.I.D said:

And no doubt they would like to be us. But the best teams are good at both ends of the pitch, and the middle.

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

You are a funny fish sometimes Westcoast. If we can't rely on scoring more goals than the opposition for success what we can rely on? Scoring less goals than them? 

I think you know what I mean Thirsty. If not I'll come back later and explain. 😉

4 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

And no doubt they would like to be us. But the best teams are good at both ends of the pitch, and the middle.

How about, if only we were Manchester City?

Not at all, it's just hard to have a reasonable debate when you're making such ludicrous and deliberately obtuse statements. We have lost 3 times since September. Leeds can't say that. Sheff Utd can't say that. Regardless of how nervous you feel, facts don't have feelings, and the facts are that you are demonstrably making incoherent points about Sheff Utd and Leeds being "better than us" when logic points to the other side of that coin.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

I'm confident that we'll keep evolving and be better able to meet that challenge if/when we get there. I also don't think we're playing our best 11 at the moment, although I can understand why they keep playing seeing as they keep winning. 

The thing is that we are playing some more than  decent sides, especially the last two games. Decent sides with some class and some expensive players.  This includes more than a few forwards. One of their forwards tonight had a full England cap, yet for the most part he was neutralised and had a poor game.

Are they expected just to lie down and give way to Norwich City just because we are top of the league and play some truly amazing football. Give way to our attacking prowess without a fight.

The old adage that there's no easy games in the Championship becomes all the more relevant when faced with the constant fault finding of WC Canary.

We are not perfect, no team is, but we happen to be top of the league. A league which contains squads, including defences ,that have cost many millions more than ours.

Talking about glass half empty.

This is not the time for blanket, and rather over-cooked, nitpicking complaint. It becomes, eventually, a ridiculous example of entitlement.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

........being good at one particular end does have a habit of getting us more points though 🤔

Edited by C.I.D
Funnier

25 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

No need thank you Ian. How about addressing the point?

westcoast, you're a better fisherman than John Wilson!

• Haha 1