Norfolk born  (Kings Lynn) George (a Canary supporter?😳)** will compete in F1 for the Williams team this coming season.

He is the reigning  F2 Champion and was GP3 Series Champion in 2017.

I was beginning to think that we needed another superstar on the track to eventually wear Hamilton's crown.

George looks a good bet. He's just 21.

Come on City, come on George. Make it a Norfolk double of promotion and a podium place in 2019.

** He'd better be to avoid this post being pulled as of non-NCFC relevance.

(P.S. Who  thought this was another thread about a potential City signing?)

Edited by BroadstairsR

27 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Norfolk born  (Kings Lynn) George (a Canary supporter?😳)** will compete in F1 for the Williams team this coming season.

I was beginning to think that we needed another superstar on the track to eventually wear Hamilton's crown.

Come on City, come on George. Make it a Norfolk double of promotion and a podium place in 2019.

Broadstairs, is he related to Jim Russell, who is a former racing driver from West Norfolk?

I don't really know. Seems likely that there is some connection.

Is your Jim Russell the same man who now runs the racing driver's school in America do you think?

Among his graduates have been the Villeneuve's and Jensen Button.

(Actually, just Wiki'd and it states that Jim Russelll started his school at Snetterton as early as 1956, so unlikely a father and son thing like the Hills.) 

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 13/03/2019 at 16:18, BroadstairsR said:

The Guardian has this interview with Russell. I don't really follow F1 but I had noticed Russell was always finishing ahead of his much more experienced teammate, and the piece mentions that:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/13/george-russell-silverstone-special-f1-british-grand-prix

Oops, and there's me railing against non-football threads.😡

Oh well! Like I said, once the floodgates have been opened.

George is coming along nicely, but Lando seems to have stolen his thunder somewhat.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

George was really unlucky in acquiring his seat. 

He outdrove Lando Norris last season in GP2, so when a seat became available, Russell was snapped up. Unfortunately, the first available seat was Williams. The McLaren seat, the more competitive seat, became available after Russell had already signed for Williams, so in a roundabout way his success caused him to get a slower drive. 

He's doing a great job against his teammate, but it must be galling to see Norris, a driver he has consistently bettered, competing at the front of the grid whilst he languishes at the back. 

On 13/07/2019 at 19:09, canarydan23 said:

George was really unlucky in acquiring his seat. 

He outdrove Lando Norris last season in GP2, so when a seat became available, Russell was snapped up. Unfortunately, the first available seat was Williams. The McLaren seat, the more competitive seat, became available after Russell had already signed for Williams, so in a roundabout way his success caused him to get a slower drive. 

He's doing a great job against his teammate, but it must be galling to see Norris, a driver he has consistently bettered, competing at the front of the grid whilst he languishes at the back. 

Russell is now lead driver for Williams. Perhaps the car will be improved.

When the Jim Russell School was at Snetterton the trainees often stayed in Attleborough, either at the Griffin or with local families.

One Sunday my Dad heard a car being driven rather fast and noisily along one of our farm roads. In the spirit of "Get off my land" my dad went to see who it was, and would often tell the tale of how he was one of the few people in the world to tell Emerson Fittipaldi to slow down.

I've heard that Senna stayed in Attlecity as well.

57 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

When the Jim Russell School was at Snetterton the trainees often stayed in Attleborough, either at the Griffin or with local families.

One Sunday my Dad heard a car being driven rather fast and noisily along one of our farm roads. In the spirit of "Get off my land" my dad went to see who it was, and would often tell the tale of how he was one of the few people in the world to tell Emerson Fittipaldi to slow down.

I've heard that Senna stayed in Attlecity as well.

I grew up in Brundall and apparently Aryton Senna had tea with Colin Chapman there a couple of times. I believe the house burnt to the ground several decades ago.

Senna lived in Eaton when he drove for Lotus

As for Williams, they're going to struggle again this year unfortunately, the car is a year behind development wise and they are considerably short of money and are up for sale. They posted a financial loss of £13m last year so things are pretty grim atm. They have recently also lost their main sponsor Rokit, who have moved to Mercedes. George will undoubtedly be towards the rear of the grid again this year but he's still a good driver. As said above though, Norris is the British driver to watch. He's got the talent and also the personality to do very well in the sport! So looking forward to the season, at least I will lift the gloom after watching a City game!

Edited by Miss Demeanor
Typo

If your a fan of motor racing and the stuff that goes on behind the scenes watch this on the iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08jqfqx/crash-and-burn

It's about a guy called Tommy Byrnes, very interesting.

One of my friends worked as a mechanic/tyre man for Team Lotus around the Senna era and he had some great stories from that era.

On 13/07/2019 at 15:53, PurpleCanary said:

The Guardian has this interview with Russell. I don't really follow F1 but I had noticed Russell was always finishing ahead of his much more experienced teammate, and the piece mentions that:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/13/george-russell-silverstone-special-f1-british-grand-prix

Russell is replacing Hamilton in the Mercedes this weekend. So no pressure there then...🤓

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It would be very disappointing if he doesnt get in the points with a Merc under him.

Binner

• Haha 1