Sign in to follow this  
Drazen Muzinic

What Else Do You Fondly Remember..?

The interwebs are 30 years old today and, amongst many other things, it has brought us this wonderful forum.

I still miss waiting with my old man in a massive queue at the newsagents for the paper van to drop off the paper version on a Saturday night though!

What else do you guys miss?

Here's some inspiration...https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/8520b9b3-5389-4f13-b947-96f805d2cfd3

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

The halftime scores being put up next to/under letters at the side of the pitch. Milk deliveries being left on the doorstep. And the voice of Daphne Oxenford on Listen With Mother.

10 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

As Tears For Fears said "Kick out the style, bring back the jam!"

Unlike MC5

Edited by cornish sam
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Lesley Welch and Horace Bachelor....

Oh, and Eamon Andrews "come in Barry".

The Memory Man!

Who is Horace Batchelor. Wasn't he in the Specials?

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

Jumpers for goal posts and goal hanging ....🙂

The Pinkun paper being ready to buy at 5pm by the time you got to the bridge over the river.

The open river end and looking at trying to translate the letters corresponding to teams' HT scores ...

Oh and the vidiprinter.

Glad they included Ceefax/Teletext. That long time waiting for your page only for it to skip forward. Rubbish really.

• Like 1

Pitchside vendors walking around the pitch at half-time selling choc bars etc and trying to fling Mars bars to people up in row Z who couldn't get down to the front of the stands 😮

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The halftime scores being put up next to/under letters at the side of the pitch. Milk deliveries being left on the doorstep. And the voice of Daphne Oxenford on Listen With Mother.

We’ve just started getting milk deliveries in glass bottles (virtue signalling or what?). Every time I clink the empties putting them out the night before, it triggers a little burst of nostalgic joy.

Quote: "Nostalgia ....... is a psychological resource that people employ to counter negative emotions and feelings of vulnerability..........Often triggered by negative feelings, it results in increasing one's mood and heightening positive emotions, which can stem from feelings of warmth or coping resulting from nostalgic reflections."

Hmm! 😉

30 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

We’ve just started getting milk deliveries in glass bottles (virtue signalling or what?). Every time I clink the empties putting them out the night before, it triggers a little burst of nostalgic joy.

We've just done the same, but for me it's the gentle push on the foil cap that is the trigger for me (that and the swilling the water around when I rinse them though that's a trigger from when I was a bit older for other reasons)...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

The interwebs are 30 years old today and, amongst many other things, it has brought us this wonderful forum.

I still miss waiting with my old man in a massive queue at the newsagents for the paper van to drop off the paper version on a Saturday night though!

What else do you guys miss?

Here's some inspiration...https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/8520b9b3-5389-4f13-b947-96f805d2cfd3

I miss Opal Fruits, my original football snack from 1987 .Starbursts aren't the same, I dont care what anyone says.

I miss Catching the Caroline Seagull coach from Yarmouth to Norwich for football.

I miss saints n greavesie 

I miss being younger than all our players

I miss unlimited replays

I miss goalies picking up back passes

I miss the off side rule that I understood

Just now, glory.win or die. said:

I miss Opal Fruits, my original football snack from 1987 .Starbursts aren't the same, I dont care what anyone says.

I miss Catching the Caroline Seagull coach from Yarmouth to Norwich for football.

I miss saints n greavesie 

I miss being younger than all our players

I miss unlimited replays

I miss goalies picking up back passes

I miss the off side rule that I understood

I also miss the original series on "V" from the early 80s, 

42 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I get that walking on stones on the beach. That noise brings back memories of childhood holidays at Pakefield.

This whole thread reads like a Peter Kay stand up performance...

"STOP CASUALLY REMEMBERING THINGS PETER!"

• Haha 1

Hearing OTBC being sung and not chanted.

The black shorts with the two yellow stripes.

Oh, and kicking the right way😀

The pre-match atmosphere building as people get in early to get the best spot.  

They could get that now - just allow season ticket holders to have first come, first served seats, rather than a regular seat number - meaning people have to get there earlier if they want a good seat. It used to be great getting in at 2.30, find your favourite position and see the ground gradually fill up.  Now any atmosphere beforehand is in a cramped concrete tunnel underground. Progress......