East Rider

No Reeves, no future - no fans

Seen on WOTB.

39 years ago today, I remember it well as a young lad. Very upset he was sold (managed to get over it now)

Our first £1 million sale!

I was so upset that I wrote an angry letter to the Evening News demanding to know which was of more use to Norwich City - Kevin Reeves or a thousand tons of concrete? Basically Reeves was sold to pay for the new River End stand. 😁 (I'm still not over it 😉 )

In the event Reeves only had four more years in the game after leaving City.He retired from playing whilst at Burnley due to a hip injury.

Interestingly he followed John Bond in his entire career. From Bournemouth  to Norwich, Manchester City and Burnley.

Deduction: Blame Bondie Mr.Lizard?😀

Edited by BroadstairsR

Interestingly, I don't really hear anyone bemoaning the selling of the Murphy twins or Maddison (or Pritchard(s)). Not that they weren't/aren't excellent players it's just that we've been incredibly fortunate to get some real quality replacements for an incredibly small outlay.

Saw him play at wembley for England, he was lucky to get the call, as he only got called up as a replacement for Keegan because the game was postponed for 24 hours due to fog, I went both nights as it was only called off at last minute

6 hours ago, K Lo said:

Interestingly, I don't really hear anyone bemoaning the selling of the Murphy twins or Maddison (or Pritchard(s)). Not that they weren't/aren't excellent players it's just that we've been incredibly fortunate to get some real quality replacements for an incredibly small outlay.

There were plenty of moans at the time though. Remember all those gloomy prognostications about there being only one way we were going, with Webber embarked on selling every decent player and buying lower league dross to replace them. And I'm sure our management and staff feel really appreciated when told that "incredible [good] fortune" accounts for our currently topping the division!

7 hours ago, K Lo said:

True we have been incredibly fortunate with how things have turned out (or very cleaver with our scouting set up)

However, there were plenty of moans when Pritchard left, me included. was not too impressed when Jacob left either.

Maddison and Josh Murphy? Just thought it was inevitable, and to be honest myself and few others thought it might benefit the team if Maddison did leave (that's' how I remember it).

In any case, all of them wanted to try out elsewhere (Maddison possibly less so), and good luck to them back in the Champs next season (except Maddison)

There is no doubt, no one could have predicted where we are now with probably 8 or 9 of our players the envy of most Championship and quite a few Premiership sides out there. 

What is our squad worth? .........….Priceless to us right now!

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

There were plenty of moans at the time though. Remember all those gloomy prognostications about there being only one way we were going, with Webber embarked on selling every decent player and buying lower league dross to replace them. And I'm sure our management and staff feel really appreciated when told that "incredible [good] fortune" accounts for our currently topping the division!

Interestingly this was the same model tried by ITFC this season, and look how well that's turned out.

Organised protests,letters to the media, poor old Sir Arthur getting a hard time and to think no football forums or Twatter to vent your spleen back in the day.

49 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Interestingly this was the same model tried by ITFC this season, and look how well that's turned out.

But you're not suggesting that our very different trajectory is simply a matter of luck are you THB?

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

But you're not suggesting that our very different trajectory is simply a matter of luck are you THB?

I guess it shows that any fool can crack open an egg, but it takes some skill to make it into a souffle.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Organised protests,letters to the media, poor old Sir Arthur getting a hard time and to think no football forums or Twatter to vent your spleen back in the day.

This is true. But this type of protest was rare. Nowadays venting on social media happens all the time and has become so common that it means nothing. Just results in rolling of the eyes saying "he's off on one again"🙃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, East Rider said:

True we have been incredibly fortunate with how things have turned out (or very cleaver with our scouting set up)

However, there were plenty of moans when Pritchard left, me included. was not too impressed when Jacob left either.

Maddison and Josh Murphy? Just thought it was inevitable, and to be honest myself and few others thought it might benefit the team if Maddison did leave (that's' how I remember it).

In any case, all of them wanted to try out elsewhere (Maddison possibly less so), and good luck to them back in the Champs next season (except Maddison)

There is no doubt, no one could have predicted where we are now with probably 8 or 9 of our players the envy of most Championship and quite a few Premiership sides out there. 

What is our squad worth? .........….Priceless to us right now!

Webber and Farke actually had a plan? Who'd have thunk it? 😉